Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 02:52 PM

579 posts, read 555,914 times

Advertisements

Well I'll try to keep this short.. Due to chronic pain issues and depression that results from it, I find it difficult.. Actually nearly impossible.. to leave my boyfriend. This post will probably elicit responses such as "just leave him" but I've tried. I guess.. Is it ok to be with someone who you know isn't the one? We've been dating a while and I tried leaving a few times and he sucks me back. I think some times I get anxiety and just need to be alone so maybe it's not him. But sometimes I feel like he stifles my creative energy, or says rude things that I don't need to hear.. But it's not a constant thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 02:54 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
did it ever occur to you that he might be the cause of your depression?

Old 04-20-2016, 03:02 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,529,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
My thoughts exactly

OP can I ask what's ACTUALLY stopping you from leaving?, Fear of being alone or thinking things will change etc?.

And how does he suck you back in? Sweet talking, making promises and so forth.

Old 04-20-2016, 03:09 PM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmy00 View Post
Is it ok to be with someone who you know isn't the one? We've been dating a while and I tried leaving a few times and he sucks me back.
^^^ NOPE!!! Life is too short!
End this relationship, because most likely it's a never ending source of your depression. Looks like you would be much happier without him. Just give it a try and see!!

Old 04-20-2016, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
End this relationship, because most likely it's a never ending source of your depression. Looks like you would be much happier without him. Just give it a try and see!!
I've tried leaving him, I wasn't really happier, so I don't know. I'm almost thinking I should just ride it out then leave if I meet someone because it's too hard to leave, I'm too emotionally attached.

Old 04-20-2016, 03:21 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,529,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmy00 View Post
I've tried leaving him, I wasn't really happier, so I don't know. I'm almost thinking I should just ride it out then leave if I meet someone because it's too hard to leave, I'm too emotionally attached.
Right so you would rather meet someone first and possibly cheat instead of leaving him?. Plus being too emotionally detached to one bloke would be a major red flag for many men so good luck in meeting someone new.

I'm sure being alone and single even for a little while is not that bad

Old 04-20-2016, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Right so you would rather meet someone first and possibly cheat instead of leaving him?. Plus being too emotionally detached to one bloke would be a major red flag for many men so good luck in meeting someone new.

I'm sure being alone and single even for a little while is not that bad
Ya that's a good idea and everything but I don't have any other friends. I wouldn't cheat on him I would break up with him beforehand.

Old 04-20-2016, 03:29 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,451,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
She said that she has chronic pain issues that cause the depression in her OP. However, I do suspect he's adding to it as she also said she knows he's not "the one."

I have a friend who is dating someone who by his own admission he is settling for. I have noticed that the more depressed he is about other aspects of his life, the more attractive she becomes. His confidence comes back, and his attraction to her wanes again. So yes, I think depression can definitely keep you with someone you may not normally stay with because when you are feeling that low, the last thing you want to be is alone on top of it.

Old 04-20-2016, 04:00 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,911,025 times
Based on what you posted:

You need to leave him.

Some people are so toxic that they are capable of literally draining the life energy of a partner they are in a relationship with.

There are multiple things that could cause a toxic partner to be that way and some of which they may not even be conscious of: like a deeply ingrained personality disorder or pattern of behavior (BPD, narcissism, etc).

One relationship I was in awhile ago left me in an almost cocoon-like phase. And escaping from the relationship enabled me to transform into something that could fly away.

And thus, my true purpose in life was found and my journey began.

Old 04-20-2016, 04:34 PM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
You could try to see a therapist who would help you dealing with attachment issues, low self esteem and other emotional issues. This alone is adding a lot of weight to your existing physical pain.
You need to get detached. You need to stop this dependency, and start to focus on yourself, help yourself, get well, feel better. A person doesn't need to be in a relationship all the times. It's perfectly fine to stop dating for a while, to gain some perspective in your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships