Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 08:28 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,404,337 times

Advertisements

This is about a male friend who has been seeing a lady for about a year and slept with another woman who he may have gotten pregnant (still waiting for test results).

I put this in the Romantic Relationships forum because I am curious/amazed at how some people fool other people and some people are easily fooled and/or blind.

He's been going out with this woman for about a year and she does not know he continues to sleep with multiple other women. She has caught him in a few white lies but no smoking gun yet. He will tell her he needs a night out with the guys but that really means he goes to bars looking to meet other women. Yet she continues to dote on him big time.

He feels guilty but it has not stopped him. As I mentioned, he may have knocked up this other lady he does not know well (she claimed to be on the pill). I am amazed at his multi-tasking skills....don't know how he juggles all of this. Not saying it is right but damn...

Any thoughts on how some people just put up with this stuff....or refuse to see it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2016, 08:34 PM

48,578 posts, read 34,956,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post

Any thoughts on how some people just put up with this stuff....or refuse to see it?

Perhaps because those who DO know aren't sharing that information with her.

You seem to know much more about him than she does.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-14-2016, 08:38 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,045,023 times
All it takes is for the right screwed-up people to meet each other.

Old 05-14-2016, 08:55 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,404,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

Yes, clearly I do know more. Did not mean to suggest otherwise.

But there are situations when people find out or have a very good idea yet refuse to do anything about it...

Old 05-14-2016, 08:57 PM

48,578 posts, read 34,956,927 times
Quote:
Yes, clearly I do know more. Did not mean to suggest otherwise.

But there are situations when people find out or have a very good idea yet refuse to do anything about it...

Why do some people choose to be friends with people like this? It's a mystery.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-15-2016, 08:39 AM

19,743 posts, read 20,300,567 times
One thing you need to tell your boy is use condoms if he's gonna sleep around. Raw dogging multiple chics is the quickest & surest way to get found out. Bad things always happen to those living wreckless & foul.. * As for why people stay with cheaters, they simply don't want their illusions shattered. Neither they nor their cheating mate live in truth or reality. For some it is easier to pretend and play make-believe than to get real with themselves. Realness is full of harsh truths that are just too painful for people that are weak-willed and afraid to go alone.

Last edited by D217; 05-15-2016 at 08:50 AM..

Old 05-15-2016, 09:02 AM

953 posts, read 844,849 times
Quote:
... I am amazed at his multi-tasking skills....don't know how he juggles all of this. Not saying it is right but damn... Any thoughts on how some people just put up with this stuff....or refuse to see it?
When it comes to sexual pleasure, men like your friend will make the time and find a way. It will likely continue until his world changes from a possible pregnancy or an STD affects one of his partners. When unnecessary risks are taken, a person must be prepared for all sorts of potential consequences.

A relationship has the uncanny ability to make people blind to what is in front of them. They only see and hear what they want, which makes coming to grips with the reality very difficult and painful.

Old 05-15-2016, 09:24 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,468,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aura 524 View Post
When it comes to sexual pleasure, men like your friend will make the time and find a way. It will likely continue until his world changes from a possible pregnancy or an STD affects one of his partners. When unnecessary risks are taken, a person must be prepared for all sorts of potential consequences.

A relationship has the uncanny ability to make people blind to what is in front of them. They only see and hear what they want, which makes coming to grips with the reality very difficult and painful.
Truer words! It took years for me to overcome the inclination you describe above, blind to what is in front of you. And it's not just when it comes to a partner's infidelity - along with that usually comes a lot of other antisocial and destructive tendencies. Now I have 'tools' in my toolbox, to counteract my inclination to blindness.

Some of those tools:

1. Am I 'filling in the blanks' myself, or am I asking him directly about the things I'm uncertain about?
2. How do his words and actions make me feel about myself?
3. Does he inspire me to be the best possible person I can be?
4. (This is the most important one) If I were a man, would I want to be just like him?

I know some women like to 'groom' their partners into their ideal man. I'm not interested in that at all. I don't want a fixer upper project, I want a man who comes ready. At my age (and I expect him to be within the five year range, give or take, of my own age) he should have his life together. I feel for the younger generation, 'failure to launch' seems to be a commonplace occurrence. Nowadays it's Netflix and chill.

Old 05-15-2016, 09:25 AM

185 posts, read 134,509 times
There are multitude of reasons why people put up with it/refuse to see it: denial, low self esteem, emotional abuse. Some people feel someone is better than no one.

In my case I was in denial at first but my ex was also emotionally abusive. He lied, manipulated, and did a lot of head games to make me doubt myself & my perceptions. If I was not accepting his bs he would change tactics. When I finally ended the relationship, I felt like I had woken up literally. My mind was clearer and I no longer bought the nonsense he was spewing.

Old 05-15-2016, 09:34 AM

11,813 posts, read 12,059,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

That's what I was thinking. How can you know something when you don't know it? It's not being blind but rather trusting what your partner tells you. He's a cheating jerk, don't pin it on her because she hasn't figured it out yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships