Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2016, 02:54 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,423,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
My bet is that if she looked like this, a lot of guys would want an "association" with her no matter what the rest of her characteristics were like.
For something casual/short term? Yes, perhaps.

For something long term/marriage? Absolutely not, however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2016, 02:57 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,902,737 times
Quote:
What part of "there are also other characteristics that matter" has your "intelligence" not allowed you to understand?
Hahaha "intelligence" tells me you are beating a dead horse with your ATTRACTIVE first, 'other' characteristics mumbled in there gratuitously, while constantly quoting yourself to answer yourself.

This was getting fun til you got back, with people not taking themselves so seriously, much like a date

I have now agreed with most of your opinion, however much twerking um tweeking you are beginning to do to it, and will agree to disagree on what is MOST important.

Old 07-13-2016, 03:03 PM

477 posts, read 316,023 times
Quote:
My bet is that if she looked like this, a lot of guys would want an "association" with her no matter what the rest of her characteristics were like.

Yeah and that supermodel, which most women will never be just like most men will never be Ryan Gosseling, Probably DOES NOT:

-Eat like crap, most supermodels are on very strict diets or they wouldn't be supermodels.
-Have poor dental hygiene, bc again then she wouldn't look like that.
-Have a non-existent exercise program, how do you think she would look if she ate burgers ALL day and never worked out?
-Lack confidence, she is beautiful and has alot going on so I can almost guarantee you she has plenty.
-Lack Social Connections, probably has ALOT. Hard for a hermit to be a supermodel, you actually have to get out meet people, be discovered and then show up to the shoots.

If this model didn't do these things, especially poor hygiene, poor diet and never working out, you don't think it would take a heavy tool on her looks? She doesn't do any of the things on your list, so it's a poor way to make your point.

Last edited by BrowningPoeFrost; 07-13-2016 at 03:11 PM..

Old 07-13-2016, 03:17 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,382,771 times
Quote:
Let me make a list of what the "check boxes" of characteristics that would be attractive to women. I will only list the ones that a guy could develop in himself and then signal to women when he interacts with them:

• He is clean and well groomed with white teeth
  • He is smart and funny with lots of stories to tell
  • He is empathetic and caring and understands and listens to you
  • He is strong and can take care of things than need to be taken care of
  • He is assertive and confident, but not overbearing
  • He makes you feel safe
  • He has a high-paying, secure, high-status job that he likes
  • He eats healthy and works out
  • He has friends and social connections
These are universally attractive traits and are the "check boxes" that guy could work on developing for himself. If anything, this is going to make him much more attractive and interesting.

The guy who works on developing these things will have much more of a chance of ending up with a women he wants than a guy without them.
That's a good list.

I'm clean for my situation. My teeth are white, but could be whiter
People tell me I'm smart, and they often laugh at some of the stories I tell, but other times, they are just horrified (at what I go through).

Empathy, caring, listening, and understanding is one of my strengths

I'm strong in my own right and I do put the pedal to the metal when there are issues that need to be addressed.

I assert myself with goals and I have a reasonable amount of confidence with stuff I believe in.

I would like to think I make my girl feel safe. I think this is a big one.

Now, I am a freelance writer that has a huge potential for big paychecks

I admittedly kinda fell off of the healthy and fit wagon, but I am trying to get back on. It just seems like I'm "hot" right now. (Everyone is just rushing to see me. You'd think I was Johnny Depp or something)

Of course I have friends and connections.

Very sensible.

Old 07-13-2016, 03:18 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,382,771 times
Quote:
I have yet to hear a woman say she would like a guy who

• Is unclean with dirty teeth
  • Has no sense of humor and is not very smart.
  • Doesn't really listen or care
  • Is weak and unable to do take control
  • Has no confidence
  • Makes her feel unsafe
  • Has a crappy dead end job that he hates
  • Eats junk food and doesn't ever exercise
  • Has no friends or social connections
Ok, so what's wrong with that?

Old 07-13-2016, 03:24 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,489,857 times
Quote:
If you mash everything together, you will end up with something like this:

• He is clean and well groomed with white teeth
  • He is smart and funny with lots of stories to tell
  • He is empathetic and caring and understands and listens to you
  • He is strong and can take care of things than need to be taken care of
  • He is assertive and confident, but not overbearing
  • He makes you feel safe
  • He has a high-paying, secure, high-status job that he likes
  • He eats healthy and works out
  • He has friends and social connections
I doubt you will find many women that don't find that appealing.
You changed your list to be even broader. I agree. These things would appeal to most women (maybe not the workaholic item) but for the most part, yes.

But you've changed your list to a point that these traits are the same things men look for in a woman according to polls. Forbes Welcome

That link shows what men want in a wife based on polls. It's similar to your list. I'd say these are universal traits most people want in a SO.

Last edited by BellaLind; 07-13-2016 at 03:45 PM..

Old 07-13-2016, 03:43 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,928,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLind View Post
You changed your list to be even broader. I agree.

But you've changed your list to a point that these traits are the same things men look for in a woman according to polls. Forbes Welcome
Yes, women and men are getting closer together in what they find attractive and women would do well to heed several of the things on this list. However, most men don't have a need to feel physically protected by a woman, don't want a woman who is taller, nor are they attracted to a woman who is stronger, so there are still some differences.

Old 07-13-2016, 03:53 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,489,857 times
Quote:
Yes, women and men are getting closer together in what they find attractive and women would do well to heed several of the things on this list. However, most men don't have a need to feel physically protected by a woman, don't want a woman who is taller, nor are they attracted to a woman who is stronger, so there are still some differences.
There are differences to be sure and men have their own things they look for in women that women don't typically look for in men. Things like a femine disposition, a woman who is shorter or otherwise smaller than them, a woman who looks up to them, etc. It all evens out in The wash.

But I still stand by my original point. Don't try to be pleasing to the majority. Figure out the kind of person you want as a SO and then find the one who likes you for your strengths. Play to those strengths too. Don't try to be something you can't be in a futile attempt to appeal to the biggest number of women or men. That's a losing strategy. Kind of like spamming employers with a generic resume instead of finding out who wants your talents and then making a personalized effort.

Old 07-13-2016, 04:16 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,337,771 times
Overall, I will say how I feel on this subject. The majority women are not going to ask a man out and man shouldn't wait for a woman to ask him out either unless you mind waiting for a long time aka you're gonna die alone. I (me personally) would not accept any date from a woman if one decided to ask me out. Will I miss out on some great women? Yes but that doesn't bother me since I have not dated much in my life. I personally feel that's the best choice for me.

Old 07-13-2016, 05:47 PM

1,418 posts, read 1,272,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
Overall, I will say how I feel on this subject. The majority women are not going to ask a man out and man shouldn't wait for a woman to ask him out either unless you mind waiting for a long time aka you're gonna die alone. I (me personally) would not accept any date from a woman if one decided to ask me out. Will I miss out on some great women? Yes but that doesn't bother me since I have not dated much in my life. I personally feel that's the best choice for me.
Well you say you currently have a girlfriend right now and I believe it's your 4th one but overall I feel that as time as gone by I feel I have more realized where I was wrong with my thinking before and I feel it's more reasonable for me to say this but I feel like just need good reference experience with women in order for me to better accept and deal with the gender role or societal Norm that guys have to approach and make the first move and be the initiators
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships