Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2018, 04:02 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,336,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Well, and jazz is a contributing genre to my most recent musical passion, which is "Steampunk" music...but that really covers a ton of stuff with a wide range of sounds. But like Jill Tracy exists under that umbrella and she's a sort of smoky, jazzy piano and lounge music thing...and my favorite of that bunch, Abney Park, incorporates some bouncy, fun, jazzy stuff into certain songs like "Blowing Off Steam" which is on heavy rotation in my music library these days. But it's a vague genre that wanders all over the place anyhow.

I'm not a huge fan of labels insofar as one sees them as strict and limiting. I'm ok with them as descriptors as long as we don't demand anybody stay in any particular neatly marked box when it comes to expression... I've had quite enough of my metal fan friends arguing about genres and desperately trying to sort bands into them, and it's silly.
Have you heard the band Caravan Palace? Kinda fun. They call it "electro-swing."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2018, 04:09 PM

20,393 posts, read 14,661,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Have you heard the band Caravan Palace? Kinda fun. They call it "electro-swing."
No, but I will look into that, because it sounds like something I would like.

Old 07-25-2018, 05:17 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,323,229 times
Quote:
One time I did however pay more than usual for us to go see Iron Maiden. They were worth it.

Although...Primus at Red Rocks was absolutely worth whatever it was I paid for it. I'd do that again in a heartbeat.

Ditto about seeing Maiden and it being worth it.

Primus is bass player Les Claypool's band. Drummer "Brain" who worked with virtuoso guitar player Buckethead was in Primus for some time. Thinking of Les Claypool reminded me of the album Monsters and Robots by Buckethead. On the back of the CD, there's a kooky pic of Buckethead and Les Claypool. They're both quite eccentric.

Old 07-26-2018, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post

Primus is bass player Les Claypool's band. Drummer "Brain" who worked with virtuoso guitar player Buckethead was in Primus for some time. Thinking of Les Claypool reminded me of the album Monsters and Robots by Buckethead. On the back of the CD, there's a kooky pic of Buckethead and Les Claypool. They're both quite eccentric.
Indeed. The whole "eccentric" thing is pretty much a hallmark of the bands I like the most. I rarely get into the standard 4-man "stand there and play our music" Singer/Guitars/Drummer thing. I need a bit more than that. Be weird for crying out loud. Life is way too short to be boring, even if you are talented and boring. So most of the concerts I go to are some kind of way-out performance art acts.

When I saw Primus, they spent half of the show playing their own renditions of all the songs from "Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory" with all of these psychedelic mushrooms and Oompa-Loompas everywhere. It was wild. I kind of wish I were not the designated driver and did not have to stay sober, there was a guy next to us who was handing out shrooms and that would have made it extra interesting. But meh, that's me, always the responsible one. I haven't been properly high in decades. Just don't have time for it.

Still though. It was a pretty amazing concert. The fact that it was at the legendary Red Rocks Amphitheater only made it that much better.

Old 07-26-2018, 08:29 PM

52,269 posts, read 52,700,922 times
I had my third flat tire in like 8 months. I'm like WTF??? Driving for 30 years, no problems and then this. Hopefully I'm good to go for another 20 or so. Just replaced two front tires 2 weeks ago and naturally the tire that goes is the brand new one, lol.

Old 07-26-2018, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post

Les claypool auditioned for Metallica years ago, along with a couple of dozen other guys at the time. I'm like, no, no way would that dude fit in that band. Lol, not a slam on him as he's practically a genius on the bass. He's just not Metallica material.

Old 07-27-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Les claypool auditioned for Metallica years ago, along with a couple of dozen other guys at the time. I'm like, no, no way would that dude fit in that band. Lol, not a slam on him as he's practically a genius on the bass. He's just not Metallica material.
Oh, I agree entirely. But I happen to think that he's better off without 'em. I used to love Metallica, but...things changed. Pretentious attitudes will swing my opinion of anybody around to "ugh" pretty fast. It wasn't even Lars vs. Napster, because I agree that people should not be stealing music, it's just...a lot of the attitude I've picked up coming from them over the years. And the fact that like many people, I enjoyed their music most prior to the Black Album, and a lot less afterwards.

I hate how there are some obscure little acts I've really enjoyed over the years that never really "made it" too, and ended up dissolving when they could have created more. Oh well. Much as I believe that schoolteachers should be making more money than entertainers, I know enough touring musicians to know that it can be a grueling business that often is nowhere near as glamorous as anyone thinks it is.

I've seen GWAR do 4 month tours, or longer, with very few nights off, and they're going out on tour soon with one member recovering from cancer that necessitated a bone marrow transplant. His odds weren't good, but he's beating them so far. Every year they toured, because they love their fans and they're all over the country hugging people and shaking hands...someone will get sick. Very sick. And then everyone on the rolling germ tube will catch it. But they still have to perform...it's the only way they can pay the bills, if it even does (often it didn't, and the guys had to get side jobs.) Meanwhile struggling to maintain relationships when they've got to go out on the road every year.

It's funny to me how some young dudes imagine they'd like to be rock stars and what it's like...and they have no idea how hard the work or the lifestyle can actually be.

Old 07-27-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Oh, I agree entirely. But I happen to think that he's better off without 'em. I used to love Metallica, but...things changed. Pretentious attitudes will swing my opinion of anybody around to "ugh" pretty fast. It wasn't even Lars vs. Napster, because I agree that people should not be stealing music, it's just...a lot of the attitude I've picked up coming from them over the years. And the fact that like many people, I enjoyed their music most prior to the Black Album, and a lot less afterwards.

I hate how there are some obscure little acts I've really enjoyed over the years that never really "made it" too, and ended up dissolving when they could have created more. Oh well. Much as I believe that schoolteachers should be making more money than entertainers, I know enough touring musicians to know that it can be a grueling business that often is nowhere near as glamorous as anyone thinks it is.

I've seen GWAR do 4 month tours, or longer, with very few nights off, and they're going out on tour soon with one member recovering from cancer that necessitated a bone marrow transplant. His odds weren't good, but he's beating them so far. Every year they toured, because they love their fans and they're all over the country hugging people and shaking hands...someone will get sick. Very sick. And then everyone on the rolling germ tube will catch it. But they still have to perform...it's the only way they can pay the bills, if it even does (often it didn't, and the guys had to get side jobs.) Meanwhile struggling to maintain relationships when they've got to go out on the road every year.

It's funny to me how some young dudes imagine they'd like to be rock stars and what it's like...and they have no idea how hard the work or the lifestyle can actually be.

I used to really be into documentaries about bands I like and listening to interviews and all of that. I've heard a phrase a while back - "never meet your heroes" and for a lot of musicians, or high profile people in general that phrase really has some real truth to it. Not all of course but I've since stopped listening or watching things about rock stars or bands that I like because over the years I've found out things about people's views and attitudes that just annoy me. It's really more that attitude than views really because everyone can have differing views, but when some guy you've been a fan of for 30 plus years turns out to be an obnoxious ass it's really disappointing. But I digress...... Yes the biz for the average band that isn't HUGE is really tough, much more of a tougher lifestyle than I'd want to do.

Same goes with comedians, I'm a huge stand up comic fan and for all of the guys that are out on the road doing it, it can be a hard lonely life, especially for the guys that aren't really making it up to the next level and are forced to become road warriors to make a living. They do love the work, but I've heard a few over the years talk about how grueling of a lifestyle it can be.

Sometimes the 9 to 5 grind can be crappy too, but IDK, sleeping in my own bed every night and having the comfort of a steady gig and steady money has a lot of appeal to me.

Last edited by Chowhound; 07-27-2018 at 10:33 AM..

Old 07-27-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I used to really be into documentaries about bands I like and listening to interviews and all of that. I've heard a phrase a while back - "never meet your heroes" and for a lot of musicians, or high profile people in general that phrase really has some real truth to it. Not all of course but I've since stopped listening or watching things about rock stars or bands that I like because over the years I've found out things about people's views and attitudes that just annoy me. It's really more that attitude than views really because everyone can have differing views, but when some guy you've been a fan of for 30 plus years turns out to be an obnoxious ass it's really disappointing. But I digress...... Yes the biz for the average band that isn't HUGE is really tough, much more of a tougher lifestyle than I'd want to do.

Same goes with comedians, I'm a huge stand up comic fan and for all of the guys that are out on the road doing it, it can be a hard lonely life, especially for the guys that aren't really making it up to the next level and are forced to become road warriors to make a living. They do love the work, but I've heard a few over the years talk about how grueling of a lifestyle it can be.

Sometimes the 9 to 5 grind can be crappy too, but IDK, sleeping in my own bed every night and having the comfort of a steady gig and steady money has a lot of appeal to me.
I think I feel the opposite. Being realistic about who people genuinely are, and supporting people I really feel deserve it, is more important to me than having a hero. Especially since they aren't...really...heroes to me exactly. I mean, they are not role models, guess that's a better way to put it. I appreciate them, but I don't want to be like them. I certainly don't put them on pedestals. I am just as much of a fan of this cool woman I recently met at the club, with whom I had a great talk, as I am the singer of my favorite band, with whom I have also had great talks.

My boyfriend loves to go to conventions and get autographs. He'll pay and stand in crazy lines all day. He gets really excited about these celebrities. I'm just like, "Meh, that's just their job." He acts like they are made of diamonds and gold and not whatever normal humans are made of, like their poo doesn't stink. I am not so impressed.

My friendship with the GWAR people was definitely a huge point of contention with my ex. I think he had this mental image that backstage was like something from a Motley Crue video. LOL! Nah, it was just a bunch of tired old guys sitting around, most of them on their phones, maybe a few willing to chat if you were lucky. Picked over deli trays in a grimy room. Loading out equipment and getting ready for another night bouncing down the highway. But they were really good people, which is why I became so into them and put a lot of time and money into supporting them for years.

That, to me, is the gold. When you meet someone and they are cool, and you know you're getting to help them live the dream, making a living being creative, even if it's hard work. It feels awesome to support their endeavors. Kinda makes the 9-5 slog a bit more worthwhile, y'know?

Old 07-27-2018, 11:07 AM

The hero thing was just a metaphorical type of reference. I get that people are human and all, I just meant when you dig a band and then one of the guys says really obnoxious and mean spirited things about people or whatever it can be a turn off to some degree. I find that when that happens that's all I sometimes think about, not always, but sometimes and it can kind of color my opinion of them. Again, not always, but once in a while. I want to separate the art from the person and most of the time I can, but like I said once in a while it can just leave a really sour taste in your mouth.

IDK, I guess to me mean spirited arrogance can sorta be a reality check and is hard to get out of my mind sometimes.

For example I was listening to an extensive interview with Billy Squire, yeah, old reference, I know. It was a two hour interview and this guy was just bloviating and had a crappy attitude toward his fans and a whole host of other things. He came off like Trump sometimes with his bragging and chest thumping.

I mean the ego on that guy is just nauseating, I mean completely nauseating. I can't hear his music without thinking about what an azzhat he is. That's all I meant. I don't want to bother to find out more about people's personal lives too much.

Sammy Hagar, great guy, I mean just a down to earth dude. I've seen and heard him several times and he's great. Again, I get that people are people and all and we all have faults, sometimes it's just better to not know how the sausage is made........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships