Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2021, 07:46 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,763,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
For my 28th birthday I started chemotherapy. That sucked. After the morning treatment I was stayibg at my parents house. I crashed. The side effects were too much. I had to travel 180 miles and was away from home. Longest nine weeks of my life.
Not my actual birthday but the Pulse nightclub shooting in Orlando happened the night I was celebrating my 28th birthday with friends. I had no idea that happened until I woke up at 9 that morning from a bender and checked my Facebook.

Nowhere near as bad as dealing with cancer (glad you survived) but if I could forget that birthday I would not mind at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2021, 08:45 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,800,555 times
That was a long time ago. In some ways it seems like a flash in the pan. In other ways an eternity. I have some wicked scars and story. That’s how life works.

This song resonates:

Old 07-15-2021, 08:39 AM

20,398 posts, read 14,683,356 times
I don't remember my 28th.

But I remember something that happened on my 29th.

It was the beginning of me deciding that if I did not feel that anyone in my family was going to give me anything or treat me in any way, I was going to do it myself, for myself. I was sick of being the one person always going without and feeling sad about it. I was also tired of a thing I was doing in my 20s of blending in and being this bland, business casual Mom person....this feeling that as an "adult" I had to leave all of my tastes and passions and style behind and be totally serious and respectable and responsible. It was the beginning of me taking small steps to loving myself and celebrating myself and eventually standing up for myself and valuing myself.

I bought myself a cool leather jacket. A nice one. It cost...I dunno...over a hundred bucks, a lot for me to spend at the time. I still have it and it's held up really well and it's still beautiful. LOL...given where I've landed in life, it's a bit funny to me that I have invested significance into black leather garments more than once over the years. I had a trench coat in high school that made me feel confident and safe, like social armor. It helped me go from being shy and socially awkward, to confident and extroverted. It was a big deal to me at the time.

Old 07-15-2021, 11:39 AM

4,043 posts, read 2,713,819 times
Quote:
For my 28th birthday I started chemotherapy. That sucked. After the morning treatment I was stayibg at my parents house. I crashed. The side effects were too much. I had to travel 180 miles and was away from home. Longest nine weeks of my life.
Very glad that you are here today with us SD. You are certainly a strong person!

Old 07-15-2021, 12:22 PM

11,163 posts, read 7,974,219 times
Dang, I am kinda sorry that I brought up birthdays…..

Old 07-15-2021, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Dang, I am kinda sorry that I brought up birthdays…..
It’s okay. The more birthdays you have the longer you live.

Old 07-16-2021, 08:34 AM

52,305 posts, read 52,734,263 times
Quote:
28 is a young man still, that's a rough thing to go through. I mean it's always hard, but something about getting serious illness in what is really supposed to be some of the most prime years (health wise) just somehow feels more "unfair", for lack of a more eloquent way of putting it.

It's good you had your parents to help you through it.

Old 07-16-2021, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
28 is a young man still, that's a rough thing to go through. I mean it's always hard, but something about getting serious illness in what is really supposed to be some of the most prime years (health wise) just somehow feels more "unfair", for lack of a more eloquent way of putting it.

*nods* Of course another way to look at it, is that a younger body might have a better chance of coming through something like that and making a fully recovery.

I have a cousin who had bone marrow cancer in his late teens. That is a whole big mess of treatments and transfusions and all, but he got through it and has gone on to live a happy and healthy life. That particular cancer doesn't have the best survival odds, I don't think, but he beat it.

I'm very glad that SD4020 came through as well.

Old 07-16-2021, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post

There was a lot to process. However, I never felt it was “unfair” or ask ‘why me.” It sobered me up to the fact that I could end up dead.

Can we talk about something happier? Please. I didn’t mean to drag the whole thing down.

Sorry, folk.

Anyway, just tossed several pounds of pork loin in the smoker. Cooking it up for a group of about 30 tonight. Will see how this goes.

Old 07-16-2021, 12:49 PM

OMG smoked pork sounds yummy.

I've been so busy lately packing, putting stuff into storage, dealing with my kid, and so forth, that I've been scraping by on "quick to make, quick to scarf down" kinds of foods...they aren't especially appetizing, but they keep me alive. I have been craving real food. Actual, cooked, comfort food, food. Not ramen or a bagel or frozen pizza...

Stress has a way of pinching my appetite, too, and I have been very, VERY stressed lately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships