Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2017, 06:51 PM

52,291 posts, read 52,734,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Yeah luckily we don't get a summer here so we avoid that issue

No but seriously you're right it is dangerous and I'll admit I've had many a pub lunch and come in in some right states from the night before but never where one is at risk especially in scaffolding.

Ive heard it's pretty much ALL D&A tests for a lot of jobs around your way? ... Here it's only a few specific jobs ( mainly high profile construction sites )
Yeah, I've gone to work a few times really hung over and that is almost as bad as being impaired, really need to pay attention to your surroundings.

Here the insurance companies all pretty much run things. Most construction sites now you have to pass a drug test to be able to work on them. Not all, but enough now where it's pretty common. Certain places is absolutely mandatory. Site like oil refineries, most government facilities, especially if the facility does work for the department of defense which my last company did a lot of work for, yeah, pretty much drink a big ol glass of water with your little cup in hand and leg it over to the restroom to do your business.

I just enjoy some wine and a little whiskey and am not into any other drugs. Now with MJ being legal here in CA I'm wondering how this is going to affect the drug testing culture for work and places like construction sites. THC stays in your system for a good while after smoking it, unlike alcohol, you can party the night before and be basically drug free by the morning, course it depends on how enthusiastically you imbibed the night before but you know what I mean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 07:03 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,535,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Yeah, I've gone to work a few times really hung over and that is almost as bad as being impaired, really need to pay attention to your surroundings.

Here the insurance companies all pretty much run things. Most construction sites now you have to pass a drug test to be able to work on them. Not all, but enough now where it's pretty common. Certain places is absolutely mandatory. Site like oil refineries, most government facilities, especially if the facility does work for the department of defense which my last company did a lot of work for, yeah, pretty much drink a big ol glass of water with your little cup in hand and leg it over to the restroom to do your business.

I just enjoy some wine and a little whiskey and am not into any other drugs. Now with MJ being legal here in CA I'm wondering how this is going to affect the drug testing culture for work and places like construction sites. THC stays in your system for a good while after smoking it, unlike alcohol, you can party the night before and be basically drug free by the morning, course it depends on how enthusiastically you imbibed the night before but you know what I mean.
Yes that's similar to here and pretty much everything is for " arse covering " with PPE ( personal protective equipment like hard hat, harness, steel toe cap boots etc ), forms and the DNA tests basically so if it goes wrong they have are covered

I've failed a drugs test twice before but for codeine that you buy over the counter so it got cleared but that's a greet question you ask about the MJ ( cannabis? ) .... You're right it stays in the system for up to 2 months depending on how frequently you use it so can ruin many people's employment if they get caught. I've never smoked that but my drug of choice over the years is only in the system for 2/3 days max so you can plan.

Can I ask with it being legal there how and where do you buy it? As the criminality has gone i assume they wouldn't be buying it from a dealer say on a street corner. Etc

Old 04-25-2017, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Yes that's similar to here and pretty much everything is for " arse covering " with PPE ( personal protective equipment like hard hat, harness, steel toe cap boots etc ), forms and the DNA tests basically so if it goes wrong they have are covered

I've failed a drugs test twice before but for codeine that you buy over the counter so it got cleared but that's a greet question you ask about the MJ ( cannabis? ) .... You're right it stays in the system for up to 2 months depending on how frequently you use it so can ruin many people's employment if they get caught. I've never smoked that but my drug of choice over the years is only in the system for 2/3 days max so you can plan.

Can I ask with it being legal there how and where do you buy it? As the criminality has gone i assume they wouldn't be buying it from a dealer say on a street corner. Etc
They just legalized it and I think they are still working out the details yet. We've had medical MJ here for a while now and that was a joke and was easily worked around so just about anyone could claim some medical issue and they give you a "medical card" and you could go to places and flash this card and get your buzz on. So I hear anyways, like I said pot isn't my thing so I really don't care, but yeah, I'm not sure what its going to look like when the pot shops get up and going, like I said they just passed it recently so it takes a bit to get going.

Old 04-25-2017, 07:20 PM

Quote:
They just legalized it and I think they are still working out the details yet. We've had medical MJ here for a while now and that was a joke and was easily worked around so just about anyone could claim some medical issue and they give you a "medical card" and you could go to places and flash this card and get your buzz on. So I hear anyways, like I said pot isn't my thing so I really don't care, but yeah, I'm not sure what its going to look like when the pot shops get up and going, like I said they just passed it recently so it takes a bit to get going.
It would be " the new Amsterdam " in LA plus you've got better weather/beach/women so it would beat that any day LMAO.

But yeah " medical " I've not heard of before I can see how it could be worked around, probably the same as in the Great Depression when alcohol was banned ( I think it was around then anyway ) and you could only get it if the doctor prescribed you it for " medicinal purposes " .... so a lot of nudge nudge wink wink going on I could Imagine

Old 04-25-2017, 07:29 PM

Quote:
It would be " the new Amsterdam " in LA plus you've got better weather/beach/women so it would beat that any day LMAO.

But yeah " medical " I've not heard of before I can see how it could be worked around, probably the same as in the Great Depression when alcohol was banned ( I think it was around then anyway ) and you could only get it if the doctor prescribed you it for " medicinal purposes " .... so a lot of nudge nudge wink wink going on I could Imagine
There are actual practical reasons and uses for medical MJ and on that front it is legit, but there is a whole lot of the nudge nudge wink wink business as well.

My dad had issues with his leg and he went and got himself a medical MJ card and he was using the edibles. He went on and on about how he felt like he was some kind of drug addict, which was stupid because he was a HUGE alcoholic and had the nerve to pick on MJ. LOL, he was an odd duck that way. He did tell me a story that even though he's gone now I still think about.

When he first starting eating the edibles he was eating brownies and instead of just easting one small square he ended up eating the whole bar of it and it was four times what he should have. LOL, he said that he was flying high for a day or two, it really sorta scared him and he was trying to sleep it off but he was high as hell and was tripping for a day or so.

LOL, funny but not funny. LOL.

Old 04-25-2017, 07:59 PM

Quote:
There are actual practical reasons and uses for medical MJ and on that front it is legit, but there is a whole lot of the nudge nudge wink wink business as well.

My dad had issues with his leg and he went and got himself a medical MJ card and he was using the edibles. He went on and on about how he felt like he was some kind of drug addict, which was stupid because he was a HUGE alcoholic and had the nerve to pick on MJ. LOL, he was an odd duck that way. He did tell me a story that even though he's gone now I still think about.

When he first starting eating the edibles he was eating brownies and instead of just easting one small square he ended up eating the whole bar of it and it was four times what he should have. LOL, he said that he was flying high for a day or two, it really sorta scared him and he was trying to sleep it off but he was high as hell and was tripping for a day or so.

LOL, funny but not funny. LOL.
Thats made my night imaging that mate LOL!

I've got to admit mate but your old man seemed a great character from what we've spoken about him on here before he sounds like he definitely had a life

Me personally I love having a pint with the older generations and hear about the old days and all the funny stories and I think they have the best personalities and humour, especially here in the pubs they definitely have an air of crazy about them which I LOVE

And I've no doubt he would have me rolling around with laughter!

Old 04-25-2017, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Thats made my night imaging that mate LOL!

I've got to admit mate but your old man seemed a great character from what we've spoken about him on here before he sounds like he definitely had a life

Me personally I love having a pint with the older generations and hear about the old days and all the funny stories and I think they have the best personalities and humour, especially here in the pubs they definitely have an air of crazy about them which I LOVE

And I've no doubt he would have me rolling around with laughter!
I had an odd relationship with my dad but he was really loved by lots of people. He was an outgoing extrovert type and I'm not. We're very different in most ways.

He was apparently a good friend to have and at his funeral services more people than I can remember went up and spoke and had lots of good stories about him.

He was something else. I just wished things could have been different between us, but that's ok, it's water under the bridge at this point. He did have a REALLY good life. He lived life on his terms and one of his songs that was his anthem through out his life was Frank Sinatra's "My Way". When they played it at his service I choked up pretty good and almost started to lose it.

A few years ago I was almost at the point of just telling him to bugger off because I had a lot of resentment toward him. I made a conscious choice then to just let him think that we had a better relationship than we actually had.

I haven't made too many bad choices in my life and I've done ok so far. Me choosing to let him feel that way and for me to take the high road is something that I'm glad I did.

I have moments where I am a mature grown up, not often, but often enough and when it truly matters.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:36 PM

Quote:
I had an odd relationship with my dad but he was really loved by lots of people. He was an outgoing extrovert type and I'm not. We're very different in most ways.

He was apparently a good friend to have and at his funeral services more people than I can remember went up and spoke and had lots of good stories about him.

He was something else. I just wished things could have been different between us, but that's ok, it's water under the bridge at this point. He did have a REALLY good life. He lived life on his terms and one of his songs that was his anthem through out his life was Frank Sinatra's "My Way". When they played it at his service I choked up pretty good and almost started to lose it.

A few years ago I was almost at the point of just telling him to bugger off because I had a lot of resentment toward him. I made a conscious choice then to just let him think that we had a better relationship than we actually had.

I haven't made too many bad choices in my life and I've done ok so far. Me choosing to let him feel that way and for me to take the high road is something that I'm glad I did.

I have moments where I am a mature grown up, not often, but often enough and when it truly matters.
I'm remember you saying he had a great send off mate and it does sound like he got the most out of life which is what it's all about

It's quite strange this but you and your dad sound like me and my dad only I'm similar to your old man and you sound like my old man..... Hence the rough with the smooth at times.

I've not been the best bloke and whereas my dad is best bloke I know, like yourself we've had our moments shall we say mainly because of the choices I've made that have cost me dear and the worst part is he's right

I know you've mentioned your resentment/bad times on here before and I apologise if I've got your mind spinning bringing it all back mate. But yes you did the right thing in taking the high road in my opinion and putting his feelings first which again is only a testament to your good self as a person

Old 04-25-2017, 08:48 PM

Quote:
I'm remember you saying he had a great send off mate and it does sound like he got the most out of life which is what it's all about

It's quite strange this but you and your dad sound like me and my dad only I'm similar to your old man and you sound like my old man..... Hence the rough with the smooth at times.

I've not been the best bloke and whereas my dad is best bloke I know, like yourself we've had our moments shall we say mainly because of the choices I've made that have cost me dear and the worst part is he's right

I know you've mentioned your resentment/bad times on here before and I apologise if I've got your mind spinning bringing it all back mate. But yes you did the right thing in taking the high road in my opinion and putting his feelings first which again is only a testament to your good self as a person
Thanks for the kind words. I'm actually feeling pretty ok these days about my dad. I have moments where I get a bit teary eyed thinking about things, but apparently all the head shrinkers say that is normal. I have to say I got a lot of response here on CD from a lot of different people, PM's, comments in reps and right out in the open in threads. It was a nice thing. Got a PM from someone that said even though we don't see eye to eye they wanted to express their condolences and I thought that was just classy as hell. I hope one day when the unfortunate time comes I can be as good and nice to others as the people were to me.

I know it's just an internet forum but sometimes people can rise up and surprise you with their kindness.

We need more of that in this world.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the kind words. I'm actually feeling pretty ok these days about my dad. I have moments where I get a bit teary eyed thinking about things, but apparently all the head shrinkers say that is normal. I have to say I got a lot of response here on CD from a lot of different people, PM's, comments in reps and right out in the open in threads. It was a nice thing. Got a PM from someone that said even though we don't see eye to eye they wanted to express their condolences and I thought that was just classy as hell. I hope one day when the unfortunate time comes I can be as good and nice to others as the people were to me.

I know it's just an internet forum but sometimes people can rise up and surprise you with their kindness.

We need more of that in this world.
Yes i remember at the time you got a good response on this thread alone and you were touched and yeah I had no doubts you would get lots of people pouring in offering their condolences mate as again you're a very well respected bloke on here

It's a shame with the negatives on here that it takes something as bad as that to happen to bring people together but as you said in your last post where we're not often mature grown ups but when it matters we can be and the above proved it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships