Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 03:21 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,074,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauwie View Post
Society. Family expectations
Really?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2016, 03:21 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,918,058 times
Quote:
Society. Family expectations
So, maybe those aren't the best reasons for ditching an otherwise great relationship with an otherwise great guy.

It does seem that the two of you have communication issues which doesn't bode well for marriage in the first place either.

Old 07-21-2016, 03:30 PM

97 posts, read 90,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
His fear around marriage might actually be fears around divorce and the consequences of divorce. This is a fear of many guys that many women downplay because they don't want to entertain the fact that divorce is a very high probability for them.
what's funny is Ive had many conversation with him about what you're asking me right now. He's asked me many times why I think marriage is so important and if I would ever have a kid with someone I wasn't married to. Part of the reason I'm even able to have this conversation about co-parenting is because of the numerous convos we've had. Is this the ideal for men? To have a bunch of children running around and just living their life? No stable partner or wife or anything?

Old 07-21-2016, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Really?
Marriage is made by the two people not by the paper with their signatures on it.

Im not denying marriage. I WANT to get married. but im not denying that it has its problems.

Old 07-21-2016, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Marriage is made by the two people not by the paper with their signatures on it.
No, marriage is made by the paper with the signatures on it. That's what makes it different from dating. Otherwise, anyone could just say they are married. Your BF knows that.

Using your rationale, you could be "married" right now!

Everyone knows that marriage has its challenges. My question was more about your statement that you NEED to get married because of society and family expectations.

Old 07-21-2016, 03:36 PM

Quote:
If you want to maintain a healthy dialog with him, you also need to entertain other options other than just marriage. You don't have to ultimately agree to those other options, but they should be on the table. The discussion should be around options and motivations, rather than simply getting married or not.
that might be more helpful.. "motivations"..hmm

Old 07-21-2016, 03:38 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,340,289 times
You're not the one for him,it's ridiculous that you apologised for wanting to know if he's worth investing your time,youth,future etc with,and that you feel terrible about it.Its terrible that disscussing your future freaks him out.
Honestly, it all indicates that you are not "the one",trust me even if he stays with you for another few years, or even caves and marries you ,he will eventually find the "one" who he feels certain about and leave you or cheat on you.
When I read posts of people who cheat, it's often men who were with someone for six or more years and don't want to get married etcetc,finally they meet someone they really like and cheat.
Don't waste your youth on this person.

Old 07-21-2016, 03:38 PM

Quote:
what's funny is Ive had many conversation with him about what you're asking me right now. He's asked me many times why I think marriage is so important and if I would ever have a kid with someone I wasn't married to. Part of the reason I'm even able to have this conversation about co-parenting is because of the numerous convos we've had. Is this the ideal for men? To have a bunch of children running around and just living their life? No stable partner or wife or anything?
I don't think it is necessarily the ideal and no one should have kids without being informed of all of the legal ramifications of having kids and what happens if you decide to split.

I'm still not getting how you are equating this with non-stability though. Having a kid with a committed guy who just doesn't want to get married is probably more stable than having a kid with a guy and then getting divorced.

Since you had this discussion with him, what conclusions did the two of you come to regarding what would happen with the kids if you did split up?

Old 07-21-2016, 03:39 PM

Quote:

Im not denying marriage. I WANT to get married. but im not denying that it has its problems.
If marriage is made buy the people and not by the paper, what does it matter if you are married or not?

What reasons are there for you for WANTING to get married?

Old 07-21-2016, 03:40 PM

Quote:

Since you had this discussion with him, what conclusions did the two of you come to regarding what would happen with the kids if you did split up?
I'm wondering how this is relevant ? It seems a VERY remote possibility for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships