Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 11:41 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,063,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by renter16 View Post
People add strangers? Wow and here I thought FB was for connecting with family and old friends.
My FB is mostly about people of my current life. Sure, there's family there, a college classmate or two, and the link to my high school reunions, but practically 95%+ are of my acting, dancing, and Rennie friends.

To add someone from a dating site I think would be fair to show them what they are getting into. Fair but perhaps stupid for it might send many of them running; us Rennies can be a pretty intense kind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 10:58 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,061,033 times
I wouldn't, but I won't say nobody should. I'd feel very uncomfortable, though. I don't know anything about that person yet. Am I really going to let him see where I work, where I went to school, my former job, all my friends, and pictures of my children?

To give an example, I have been here on CD literally for years. (Nine years, I think?) I have ONE FB friend from here on CD, in all that time.

Old 08-01-2016, 12:33 PM

1,193 posts, read 1,027,865 times
I found it funny this girl I was on a 2nd date with didn't want to mention the park she was having her family reunion at the next day but I am expected to reveal my real name? lol

What did she think I was going to show up unannounced at the park and say.."HEY!!!!

Old 08-01-2016, 12:35 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,672,998 times
Quote:
I use my middle name to start things off.
Do you actually go by your middle name (my mom has all her life), or are you giving it to be secretive?

Old 08-01-2016, 12:40 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,045,818 times
Quote:
I found it funny this girl I was on a 2nd date with didn't want to mention the park she was having her family reunion at the next day but I am expected to reveal my real name? lol
I would hope people would give their real name before they even meet. I would never use anything but my real name.

Old 08-01-2016, 12:45 PM

48,581 posts, read 34,980,811 times
Quote:

What did she think I was going to show up unannounced at the park and say.."HEY!!!!
I find your lying about your first name very odd. It is something non-specific (plenty of people named the same thing).

If I was dating or chatting with you, I would cease all communication once I found out.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-01-2016, 12:48 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,061,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I find your lying about your first name very odd. It is something non-specific (plenty of people named the same thing).

If I was dating or chatting with you, I would cease all communication once I found out.
Funny that the dude mocks her for not wanting to give him information on where she'll be on a specific date and time, yet he's terrified to even give her his first name.

Hmm.

Sounds creepy to me, trying to mock and shame a girl until she gives up personal information while he tiptoes around anonymously. Uh, okay.

Old 08-01-2016, 01:10 PM

1,193 posts, read 1,027,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Do you actually go by your middle name (my mom has all her life), or are you giving it to be secretive?
no i don't go by middle name just being secretive.

Old 08-01-2016, 01:38 PM

4,828 posts, read 4,292,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
The purpose is that it makes it easier to snoop on them and verify that they're telling the truth about things.

Bingo. Most people's dating profile pics are also their facebook profile pics, so with just their first name you can find them. It's obviously easier if they have a more unique name. I use facebook to friend women that I've came in contact with online and we've moved off the site. It was a way for me to see a bit deeper into who the person is, since I've seen that people who are very active facebook users, just about put their entire life on it. It gives me a basis to figure out if the person is who they truly say they are or not, because not many people lie on facebook. It's a pretty good tool to fact check someone. Employers use it during the hiring process, because it's become a reliable tool to background check someone's spoken word.

Plus like everyone else has stated, if you don't get along, delete/block and move on. It's a very simple process and I like facebook a lot for that reason alone. Also, you can see if someone has gained or lost weight from their OLD profile pic as well.

Old 08-01-2016, 01:42 PM

22,641 posts, read 47,805,311 times
Quote:
Never understood the purpose of it since you barley know each other and now you inviting this person to see all your personal business like relatives and place of employment? I find it kind of odd since there is no guarantee you will continue seeing each other after 2 or 3 dates so why connect on Facebook?
No way I would do that.
Only real life friends - not dates, not people I barely know, not even coworkers - have access to my Facebook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships