Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 07:45 AM

2 posts, read 1,274 times

Advertisements

So I met this guy at a wedding. Our mutual friends (who were getting married) had told each of us about the other, and I believe we both kind of knew about the other. Anyway, we really hit it off well and ended up spending a day together before he flew home (he lives in New York and I live in Oregon). I didn't think that we'd really continue communication, but we have and it's been about two months. He just told me that he's going to be in Washington for a conference (in three months) and asked if he could come down that weekend after his conference and spend the weekend with me. I was pleasantly surprised, and said yes. We've also been texting every day - every few days for the past two months, and we've talked on the phone a couple times.

I'm not sure what to expect from this situation, or how to approach the whole thing. I'm don't know if he's thinking this is more of a hook-up type situation, or if he's interested in pursuing a relationship. I'm not opposed to a FWB-type situation, but I don't want a long-distance FWB. Plus, I've very much enjoyed our conversations, and I'd like to see where things go.

I get fairly awkward when I'm unsure of what is going on, so I think I've been acting strange around him since he told me he was visiting. I don't want to make the situation weird by bringing this up in conversation, especially if it's my own insecurity. It seems like a long time out from now and I would like to avoid getting my hopes up before he gets here in November. Any advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 07:50 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,381,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayferd View Post
So I met this guy at a wedding. Our mutual friends (who were getting married) had told each of us about the other, and I believe we both kind of knew about the other. Anyway, we really hit it off well and ended up spending a day together before he flew home (he lives in New York and I live in Oregon). I didn't think that we'd really continue communication, but we have and it's been about two months. He just told me that he's going to be in Washington for a conference (in three months) and asked if he could come down that weekend after his conference and spend the weekend with me. I was pleasantly surprised, and said yes. We've also been texting every day - every few days for the past two months, and we've talked on the phone a couple times.

I'm not sure what to expect from this situation, or how to approach the whole thing. I'm don't know if he's thinking this is more of a hook-up type situation, or if he's interested in pursuing a relationship. I'm not opposed to a FWB-type situation, but I don't want a long-distance FWB. Plus, I've very much enjoyed our conversations, and I'd like to see where things go.

I get fairly awkward when I'm unsure of what is going on, so I think I've been acting strange around him since he told me he was visiting. I don't want to make the situation weird by bringing this up in conversation, especially if it's my own insecurity. It seems like a long time out from now and I would like to avoid getting my hopes up before he gets here in November. Any advice would be appreciated.
Actually, why NOT a long-distance FWB? That can be the easiest to keep at "arm's length" and avoid catching feelings if you can't see each other too often.

Of course, if you SAY you want a FWB but you're really hoping for more, that would explain why you don't want something long distance. Consider carefully.

Old 08-10-2016, 07:55 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,255,484 times
maybe you will get more clarity after you spend the weekend with him in person? it's sometimes tough to just "go with the flow" but maybe you should try to do that until you get this in-person quality time together... i'm a firm believer that in-person time together brings more clarity... perhaps he feels the same exact way - he's not sure where it will go either but he definitely knows he wants to spend time with you so that is good.... after the weekend maybe you could bring it up? good luck!

Old 08-10-2016, 08:36 AM

352 posts, read 234,236 times
Remember the old saying that "Abscence makes the heart grow fonder".

It's pretty easy (and normal) to like someone a lot more than normal when you have a great first impression, then dissapear from each other for awhile. Without knowing how strong of a rapport you have with this guy in the long distance convos.......I'd error on the side of caution and only plan a first day with the guy. Take the pressure off of yourself. You'll be able to better evaulate your feelings (and him) once you hang out with him for say, a few hours.

So, in short.....back up. Meet up. Evaulate your feelings then.....and then decide all of the future benefits, or not....

Old 08-10-2016, 08:46 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,419,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayferd View Post
He just told me that he's going to be in Washington for a conference (in three months) and asked if he could come down that weekend after his conference and spend the weekend with me. I was pleasantly surprised, and said yes. We've also been texting every day - every few days for the past two months, and we've talked on the phone a couple times.

I'm not sure what to expect from this situation, or how to approach the whole thing.
Just let it happen. If there is chemistry and you like each other, bang him, or don't, depending on your values. Don't expect anything either way and you won't get hurt.

Old 08-10-2016, 09:17 AM

237 posts, read 224,903 times
I'm so glad I'm old, because these situations never came up, and for good reason. You know very little about this man, and you're thinking of having him spend the weekend with you? Forget whether it's going to be true love or FWB, I'd be more concerned about my personal safety, especially if I lived alone.

So what if he's not a rapist or serial killer, but you find each other insanely boring as all get out, and you're stuck together? That's not good either. Need to establish some boundaries first, for your mutual protection.

Old 08-10-2016, 09:23 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,659,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corgifreak View Post
I'm so glad I'm old, because these situations never came up, and for good reason. You know very little about this man, and you're thinking of having him spend the weekend with you? Forget whether it's going to be true love or FWB, I'd be more concerned about my personal safety, especially if I lived alone.
Yeah, I'm old and don't understand it either. You met the guy at a wedding a few months ago for a few hours and now he's asking to spend the weekend? What could possibly go wrong?

Old 08-10-2016, 12:57 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,729,269 times
He could also be a serial killer, or genuinely nice guy who wants to see you again. Is it against your beliefs to go out with a guy, to have fun (and i don't mean sex) without thinking about a long-term relationship?

Old 08-10-2016, 01:03 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times
I wouldn't be hanging my star on this...can't you just meet up for coffee or something while he's in town?

I'd be a bit put off by him literally asking to spend "the weekend." I would think that was a hookup, yes.

Old 08-10-2016, 01:29 PM

2,822 posts, read 1,929,778 times
I'm glad my now fiancé didn't think I was a serial killer or rapist, when she spent the night with me a few days after being together. But we did kind of know each other for 15+ years before this. We just didn't really hang out or talk much before that.

We were in a similar situation, when I came to visit my mom for 10 days. We wound up hanging out on the second day I was there and then hung out every day for the rest of the time I was there. I am in Florida and she was in New Jersey. She came to visit me less than two months later and agreed to move down here with me. So I went up there and helped her move.

It doesn't sound like this situation is headed for that though, as he seems to have a job set up in New York. Just keeping talking with him every day and see how it goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships