Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 01:55 PM

551 posts, read 582,903 times

Advertisements

My ex and I broke up nearly 2.5 years ago. I have been single ever since. I've not even been interested in anyone - I've been busy starting a new fulfilling career, dealing with family stuff, etc. But I can't say I have even met anyone I'd be interested in dating (with one exception- there was a man I met a handful of times in a group setting, really liked, but beyond a few casual texts nothing happened). I don't have the desire to really try and put the effort into starting and building a relationship. And I enjoy being alone (although physically, it's not at all ideal..).

The issue is, I miss my ex not infrequently. At least far more than I should at this point. We did date for six years, which, at thirty, is a significant chunk of my life. I've never been with someone I actually loved the way I did him. We could make each laugh pretty much in any circumstance. He was my best friend and I his, for a long time. We had great chemistry and lots of those good times. But we changed (him moreso than I..?) in ways that made us incompatible and in the long run it clearly wasn't going to work.

Now I wonder if, at this juncture so far beyond the expiration date, I will ever move on. Will I ever stop loving him? I think of him daily. Sometimes it's far worse and sometimes it's merely in passing; I'll see a familiar place or hear a song or whatever. But then there are moments that I feel an acute aching. Yesterday I heard a reference to an inside joke- one I hadn't thought of in forever- and felt my chest tighten and immediately grew irrationally sad. Like I could barely keep myself from crying at work. I don't understand these mood swings or why it is I am being affected all this time later..it's like I just can't let go. I resent the fact that I am so stuck in this general momentum-less plane of missing and longing for something that doesn't exist anymore and never will. I tend to be one to idealize the past, so there's that I suppose.

Has anyone else ever experienced this kind of long range mourning post-breakup? Is there anyway beyond "time" to get over someone? Dating is unrealistic because I don't care to. Sometimes I think a good shag would help but sometimes even that is more trouble than it's worth. Are there people out there who just never move on??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2016, 02:32 PM

29,518 posts, read 22,653,459 times
No, personally I don't think it's healthy or normal at all to mourn an ex for over 2 years.

I mean, crying over memories of him 2.5 years later at work, doesn't sound normal or healthy to me at all.

Sorry, but that's the brutal honest truth.

It would depend on the circumstance of how the breakup occurred, but again, doesn't sound healthy.

https://www.breakthrough.com/

Old 08-13-2016, 02:53 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nostoneunturned View Post

Now I wonder if, at this juncture so far beyond the expiration date, I will ever move on. Will I ever stop loving him? I think of him daily. Sometimes it's far worse and sometimes it's merely in passing; I'll see a familiar place or hear a song or whatever. But then there are moments that I feel an acute aching. Yesterday I heard a reference to an inside joke- one I hadn't thought of in forever- and felt my chest tighten and immediately grew irrationally sad. Like I could barely keep myself from crying at work. I don't understand these mood swings or why it is I am being affected all this time later..it's like I just can't let go. I resent the fact that I am so stuck in this general momentum-less plane of missing and longing for something that doesn't exist anymore and never will. I tend to be one to idealize the past, so there's that I suppose.
Re: the bolded---whaaaa? What expiration date? What "so far beyond"? I have no idea what you're talking about. You're still really young, in your prime, in fact.

I think it only seems that you haven't moved on. The fact that you encountered another guy who raised your interest is a sign that you're ready to move on. But compatible people aren't a dime a dozen; it's not surprising that it took you a couple of years to find someone like that. That's normal. And you've been focused on building your career, that's a good thing. By advancing in your career, you may put yourself in a position of meeting more people you share interests and goals in common with.

You sometimes dwell on the past mainly because there's no one to take his place, IMO. If you had a new love interest (which you almost did, for awhile, until it became clear it wouldn't go anywhere), your longing for the past would resolve pretty quickly, because you'd have someone new to look forward to.

Be patient, and work on circulating a bit more. You might consider seeing a grief counselor to get a boost in getting past this what you call a mood-swing phase.

Old 08-13-2016, 02:57 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,907,683 times
Quote:
Are there people out there who just never move on??
Not having another relationship is moving on.

Old 08-13-2016, 03:04 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,344,128 times
I don't think it's feasible to mourn two years after.
Sure, you can think about a past love, and to a point even miss him/her, but the past is the past. I've thought about a past love, and wondered if they're well, but I have to go on with my life, as they with theirs.

There are stories however, of getting with and/or marrying someone, while secretly pining over a past love. You don't mourn, but you still have that "spark" for them deep within.

Old 08-13-2016, 03:15 PM

52,269 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
My ex and I broke up nearly 2.5 years ago. I have been single ever since. I've not even been interested in anyone - I've been busy starting a new fulfilling career, dealing with family stuff, etc. But I can't say I have even met anyone I'd be interested in dating (with one exception- there was a man I met a handful of times in a group setting, really liked, but beyond a few casual texts nothing happened). I don't have the desire to really try and put the effort into starting and building a relationship. And I enjoy being alone (although physically, it's not at all ideal..).

The issue is, I miss my ex not infrequently. At least far more than I should at this point. We did date for six years, which, at thirty, is a significant chunk of my life. I've never been with someone I actually loved the way I did him. We could make each laugh pretty much in any circumstance. He was my best friend and I his, for a long time. We had great chemistry and lots of those good times. But we changed (him moreso than I..?) in ways that made us incompatible and in the long run it clearly wasn't going to work.

Has anyone else ever experienced this kind of long range mourning post-breakup? Is there anyway beyond "time" to get over someone? Dating is unrealistic because I don't care to. Sometimes I think a good shag would help but sometimes even that is more trouble than it's worth. Are there people out there who just never move on??
I'm sorry you are feeling this way. I think if you're in your thirties you are still young, I'm pushing 47 soon and I think the 30's and 40's are probably some of the best times of your life. I can only hope the 50's which I'm getting close to are as good.

Maybe the "idealizing the past" stuff might be at play here. I know that there are some self-help books out there that could help you a bit, just maybe get a different perspective on it. Perhaps you are just missing the "idea" of him, if that makes any sense.

Your comments about hearing a song or an inside joke and "feeling your chest tighten and immediately grow sad" really resonated with me and I felt a sadness for you that I rarely get or feel reading CD posts.

You're not alone even though you feel like you are. I do hope you move on and do good things in your life, best of luck to you.

Old 08-13-2016, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Re: the bolded---whaaaa? What expiration date? What "so far beyond"? I have no idea what you're talking about. You're still really young, in your prime, in fact.

I think it only seems that you haven't moved on. The fact that you encountered another guy who raised your interest is a sign that you're ready to move on. But compatible people aren't a dime a dozen; it's not surprising that it took you a couple of years to find someone like that. That's normal. And you've been focused on building your career, that's a good thing. By advancing in your career, you may put yourself in a position of meeting more people you share interests and goals in common with.

You sometimes dwell on the past mainly because there's no one to take his place, IMO. If you had a new love interest (which you almost did, for awhile, until it became clear it wouldn't go anywhere), your longing for the past would resolve pretty quickly, because you'd have someone new to look forward to.

Be patient, and work on circulating a bit more. You might consider seeing a grief counselor to get a boost in getting past this what you call a mood-swing phase.
I mean the expiration date of the relationship..it ended 2.5 years ago.

Thanks for your thoughts, I think you are right- especially about finding a compatible partner.

Old 08-13-2016, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I'm sorry you are feeling this way. I think if you're in your thirties you are still young, I'm pushing 47 soon and I think the 30's and 40's are probably some of the best times of your life. I can only hope the 50's which I'm getting close to are as good.

Maybe the "idealizing the past" stuff might be at play here. I know that there are some self-help books out there that could help you a bit, just maybe get a different perspective on it. Perhaps you are just missing the "idea" of him, if that makes any sense.

Your comments about hearing a song or an inside joke and "feeling your chest tighten and immediately grow sad" really resonated with me and I felt a sadness for you that I rarely get or feel reading CD posts.

You're not alone even though you feel like you are. I do hope you move on and do good things in your life, best of luck to you.
Thank you so much for reading and sharing your thoughts. It means a great deal. You are 100% correct that the idea of him is what I am truly missing, I think. The thing is I can't even imagine getting back together or wanting to- that dream is long dead.

I am sure you are right, the better years are ahead, hoping for us both

Old 08-13-2016, 03:26 PM

52,269 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Thank you so much for reading and sharing your thoughts. It means a great deal. You are 100% correct that the idea of him is what I am truly missing, I think. The thing is I can't even imagine getting back together or wanting to- that dream is long dead.

I am sure you are right, the better years are ahead, hoping for us both

Well, at the end of the day I wouldn't beat yourself up about it. Sometimes things are just the way they are, IDK. Who knows, but one thing I know is that the world will beat you up enough, we need not do it to ourselves.

Old 08-13-2016, 04:12 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,104,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post

^This post takes the win.

OP, I get it. It took me years to get over my divorce, or more to the point, my marriage, because its end was very unexpected and sudden, and the betrayal was so extreme.

In the end, I had to get (geographically) away and focus not on what he had "done to me," but on what my role in the demise of our marriage was and take responsibility for those things, not to excuse his bad behavior, but to ensure that my own past did not repeat itself.
[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships