Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 12:26 PM

52 posts, read 38,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Don't know how this thread morphed away from not making a move after months to kissing on a first date.
it's a transition from what the absolutely wrong approach is, to the right one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 02:03 PM

3,143 posts, read 2,661,613 times
As I think about this thread, this is my problem. I take the nice guy indirect route, and women think that I'm just being a supportive friend.

Old 08-21-2016, 05:53 PM

3,850 posts, read 4,155,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
As a woman I have usually expected a kiss on the first date.
Same.

Old 08-21-2016, 06:22 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,880,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
As a woman I have usually expected a kiss on the first date.
Ooooooh yeaaaaaaaaah.

Old 08-22-2016, 03:28 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,596,621 times
If a woman shows an interest in a guy, he has a very short window of opportunity to take some positive action. If he leaves her hanging for very long, she will feel humiliated, by having revealed herself and then not having it returned. Women seem to be able to play games with guys and get away with it, but guys don't have the same privilege. If a guy is successful in getting a woman to go out with him, he absolutely has to at least try to kiss her and maybe a little more, the first time or she'll think there's something wrong with him. If a woman wanted to go out another time with a guy who had made no moves the first time, she would have to really like him, but that doesn't work out very often.

Old 08-22-2016, 06:23 AM

well, we're supposed to get together tomorrow after work, so i'm warming up my arm for the hail mary.

i feel like i need to offer some explanation as to why i was tentative, and that i can't just suddenly come out now and say i have feelings for her. i'm generally very guarded and slow to let people get close. and it's been a long time since my last relationship, so i was feeling overly cautious. then time flew by and here we are..

my gut tells me to be honest and then hope she's understanding. my gut also tells me that regardless, this is likely done.

Old 08-22-2016, 07:36 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,444,887 times
I learned pretty early on that waiting around usually is not in your best interest, you need to make your intentions known at the outset or more than likely you'll be left in the dust. I almost always go for a kiss on the first date (unless of course there is no attraction on my part). Sometimes they were met enthusiastically, sometimes not. At least I knew right away whether to proceed or not.

Old 08-22-2016, 08:23 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,211,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydouglas View Post
well, we're supposed to get together tomorrow after work, so i'm warming up my arm for the hail mary.

i feel like i need to offer some explanation as to why i was tentative, and that i can't just suddenly come out now and say i have feelings for her. i'm generally very guarded and slow to let people get close. and it's been a long time since my last relationship, so i was feeling overly cautious. then time flew by and here we are..

my gut tells me to be honest and then hope she's understanding. my gut also tells me that regardless, this is likely done.
"I would like us to be more than just friends" shouldn't be particularly difficult to manage. No long explanation needed.

Old 08-22-2016, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
"I would like us to be more than just friends" shouldn't be particularly difficult to manage. No long explanation needed.
that first part is easy, yea. but then she could ask what took so long ,no? i'll have to answer with something.

or, and maybe more likely, she'll cut it off before getting to that.

Old 08-22-2016, 08:52 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,211,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydouglas View Post
that first part is easy, yea. but then she could ask what took so long ,no? i'll have to answer with something.

or, and maybe more likely, she'll cut it off before getting to that.
Remember, 99% of what we worry about never happens.
But...IF she asks what took you so long, you can always say something like you were shy, didn't want to scare her away,or just laugh and give her a hug and tell her you're just foolish for having waited.
Point is, you don't need a prepared answer... you been seeing her for a long time and getting along OK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships