Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 01:32 PM

5,781 posts, read 11,875,069 times

Advertisements

I thought you were a guy, so forget the Hooker thing, still I believe my advice is sound . Anyway as a young woman I believe it could be easy for you to find a Friend With Benefits..lonely guys have it far far harder...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2016, 01:42 PM

226 posts, read 199,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Since you're actually going out, socializing, and meeting people it sounds like you're on the right track. I do understand that it can be frustrating not to have any prospects. I only ever meet guys online but I know you said you're done with that.
I remember when it was easier to meet people organically. Online dating is a mess, however, it's the new normal, I suppose. I swore it off for various reasons after encountering several men who were not as they claimed. Then I re-joined later, met my husband. It's less a matter of what you do and more a matter of timing. Please give it another shot.

Old 09-01-2016, 03:13 PM

641 posts, read 405,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Sorry, but there must be something wrong with you, at least according to some of the guys who post here. According to them, it's almost impossible for a woman not to be approached multiple times every day.
Go to bars and you'll definitely get approaches as a woman. Sign up on OLD sites and you'll get plenty of messages from guys.

They might not be the approaches you desire, or messages, but women always have options if they put themselves out there.

Old 09-01-2016, 05:55 PM

212 posts, read 195,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinPhilly View Post
Haha, I might actually try and wear some team jersey on weekends! I love football, so I guess I won't have to fake being into it to attract someone.

This is a great suggestion. And definitely make it something you also like, so you aren't caught in a "lie". It helps that it is something that many guys are also interested in. I have an old Van Halen concert shirt that I wear on occasion. I've had guys strike up conversations with me on the basis of that shirt.

Also, this might sound very, very silly, but I am a quiet person and generally not very approachable. I also don't make eye contact a lot and purposely ignore others around me. However, those times when I've been walking down a busy street (knowing that I look pretty darn good) or waiting for the trolley or the bus, I'll consciously look around me and notice quite quickly that men are indeed checking us ladies out all the time. Guys drive by in cars and will swivel their heads to get a look sometimes. And, honestly, I'm just a girl-next-door, averagely pretty gal. Nothing super-special or anything. It's a great confidence booster.

Old 09-01-2016, 09:56 PM

352 posts, read 234,188 times
I'm one of the posters who suggested she tried smiling more. Most people above third grade level reading comprehension can maybe (??) figure out that I wasn't suggesting she goes around smiling at guys like she's whacked.

One thing I've learned reading this thread is, sounds like a lot of arrogance and unfriendliness goin' around in the East Coast U.S. cities. Glad I'm far from it.....

Old 09-01-2016, 10:35 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,603,221 times
Sounds like you are doing everything right. Perhaps try OLD again as well. Good luck!

Old 09-02-2016, 02:35 AM

511 posts, read 402,387 times
I haven't had a date or an interested party in three years and I'm 39. Something to look forward to I guess, O.P.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:55 AM

4,523 posts, read 3,407,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy2010 View Post
I agree with the persons who said that you are better off alone for awhile and waiting for the right person than leeching onto any old man just to have a man. I guess many women feel they need to be coupled and will settle for anyone regardless. But in this day and age, women do not have to settle and get married and can have careers and the ability to do anything they want in life.

So, why not try to be a little more positive about your singlehood and use this "alone" time to travel, develop some hobbies and personal interests, maybe learn some new skills, take some courses? Once you find Mr. Right and settle down, you'll probably start a family and really won't have the time to develop your interests and hobbies. Why not try some new activities? Learn kayaking, go on a singles bike tour of Utah, go to Times Square for the New Year's Eve concert, live it up!

Personally, I also disagree with the people who are suggesting putting yourself out there to approach men more, flirt, smile, etc. I tried that, and most of the relationships that developed due to my "pushing" for it, did not go well. Men say they like women to approach them but ultimately, a man will go after a woman on his own once he finds the one that interests him. Men might like to be chased a bit because they're lazy but they will not pick that woman for a long term relationship. If you are somewhat attractive and have a pleasant personality, then someone will eventually spot you and come after you--if it's meant to be. Not everyone is meant to find someone. I believe there are a number of people out there who just are not meant to find someone. That is a shame but it's simple math. There are only so many eligible men out there.

ultimately you have to learn to be happy with yourself even if you don't find someone. You are still young so I don't think you can rule out a relationship yet but please think about the issue of trying to develop your own passions and interests in this time period rather than fretting too much about a mate. The world turns the same for us whether we find Mr. Right or we don't. personally I would rather be alone and fulfill my life with passions, interests, and volunteerism than to be tied down with the wrong man. You will find out as you get older that relationships are not all peaches and cream.
Don't speak for all men.

I'd be completely flattered if a woman approach me and showed genuine interest.

Obviously, I'd have to be attracted to her on some level, but it would be very flattering. I'm sure plenty of great relationships have started with the woman making the first move.

So, I'm in that camp that says that she should get out there and flirt more, smile more, etc. Nobody should wait around for someone to come in their life. You fancy/like someone, then go after them.

Old 09-02-2016, 02:10 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,680,255 times
Time to approach men and take the initiative. It's time more women do this instead staying back and waiting for men to ask them out. I totally get why you are low on confidence, you are 26 and no guy seems to hit you up.

According to some guys here, women are able to have sexual partners with the snap of a finger.

Old 09-02-2016, 02:14 PM

290 posts, read 214,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post

According to some guys here, women are able to have sexual partners with the snap of a finger.
that's cause they can.

now, whether they are the type of sexual partners they want is a different story...but they can get sexual partners with the snap of a finger if they really wanted to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships