Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 08:48 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,445,889 times

Advertisements

Join the military,quit feeling sorry for yourself and make a positive change in your life. You'll be surprised you can actually become a respected person!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2016, 08:50 PM

2,822 posts, read 1,929,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Join the military, you can actually become a respected person!
I hope you're kidding.

I think the last reason the OP should leave her job at walmart to pursue a different career, would be so she gains the respect of others.

Old 10-02-2016, 07:48 AM

2,546 posts, read 6,875,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydraqueen View Post
I am sure it probably sounds sad, and probably is, but I am 30 and have always lived paycheck to paycheck. I tried college but honestly I have always struggled with school and done poorly and dropped out. As such, for my life I have only ever had menial jobs such as food, retail, etc. I am currently working at wal mart and it is still a struggle. I think it has also contributed to me finding long lasting relationships. I have had men tell me they don't see a future with me because as some have said to some effect "I don't want a woman with no ambition".

It has really affected my self-esteem, but I don't know what to do. I know others will say go back to school but I hate the thought of getting into lots of debt and like before just end up getting frustrated and quitting, only to be stuck with lots of debt and not being able to spend money on more fun things. I just get very frustrated with it all and at my age feel awful and depressed about it.

I can relate.
I'm in my later 30's and haven't been to college.
I don't have anything to be proud of. I haven't accomplished anything.
I feel like my adult life thus far has been a waste. Life is just passing me by. I feel awful and depressed.
At the same time I feel it's to late to go to college at this point and become career successful.

Old 10-02-2016, 09:41 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,500,844 times
Are you legitimately hot...ish? I doubt that highly overrated ambition jazz stops a guy with high testosterone from getting with you in any case.

I guess it's a millennial thing for guys who want women with career ambition. You have the rest of your life to punch a clock.

Make cute kids with a guy you complement and who appreciates you. I know women don't generally like those strong, independent types who put family first, but they're irrelevant to you.

Old 10-02-2016, 11:19 AM

230 posts, read 315,561 times
Those men aren't wrong for what they want, but you aren't wrong for what you want, either. If you're content where you are, then that is totally fine. However, it doesn't hurt to invest in yourself a little more and get out of the paycheck to paycheck trap. Your customer service/clerical skills will translate well into better paying jobs. You can work for your county as an administrative assistant or clerk. That's good pay, and benefits won't be deducted from your pay. There are other positions like that in the private sector that also pay well, and hire you based on experience.

You can learn how to type rather quickly if you don't already know how. There are trades that you can quickly learn. Don't feel pressured to go to college. If you're not sure what field you want to go into, then , yes, it's a debt trap. And a degree doesn't always guarantee better pay or happiness.

Either way, you'd just need to find someone who wants what you want.

Old 10-03-2016, 01:12 PM

226 posts, read 199,002 times
Quote:
I am sure it probably sounds sad, and probably is, but I am 30 and have always lived paycheck to paycheck. I tried college but honestly I have always struggled with school and done poorly and dropped out. As such, for my life I have only ever had menial jobs such as food, retail, etc. I am currently working at wal mart and it is still a struggle. I think it has also contributed to me finding long lasting relationships. I have had men tell me they don't see a future with me because as some have said to some effect "I don't want a woman with no ambition".

It has really affected my self-esteem, but I don't know what to do. I know others will say go back to school but I hate the thought of getting into lots of debt and like before just end up getting frustrated and quitting, only to be stuck with lots of debt and not being able to spend money on more fun things. I just get very frustrated with it all and at my age feel awful and depressed about it.
Before I even read any other responses to this...wtf? Any man who tells that to a woman does not understand his role in life. Guys who say this are not wanting to be the providers and protectors God designed them to be. I know there are a lot of folks here who are offended by that, but it is true. Men should be happy with whatever careers they choose and not worry about their partner's. Women have a definable role as well. We have to work so much more than we used to as women because men stopped valuing traditional lifestyles. Yes, I know it is more complicated than this, but overall, we pick up way more slack these days, and hence have less time for our children and families.

You just keep trying and doing your actual best. Try not to worry so much about a relationship.

Old 10-03-2016, 01:26 PM

226 posts, read 199,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
Are you legitimately hot...ish? I doubt that highly overrated ambition jazz stops a guy with high testosterone from getting with you in any case.

I guess it's a millennial thing for guys who want women with career ambition. You have the rest of your life to punch a clock.

Make cute kids with a guy you complement and who appreciates you. I know women don't generally like those strong, independent types who put family first, but they're irrelevant to you.
It IS a newer, millennial thing. And a good many women actually do prefer real strong and courageous men.

Old 10-03-2016, 04:20 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
Date on your own level. I don't see where the problem is. Tons of low income people marry other low income people.

Old 10-04-2016, 05:18 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,010,136 times
Quote:

Please don't feel that way about yourself.Not everyone knew what they wanted to do right out of high school.Life doesn't work that way.To say that you're not someone with ambition is wrong of those creeps to say.They think that because of the jobs you've had.They're judging you without even getting to know you.I am sure that there must be something that you are passionate about but don't know how to achieve it yet.You live for you and no one else.They should be thankful that you have a job.You are working and supporting yourself.That tells me that you're NOT lazy and THAT right there should be what a guy should see in you as a positive.
To have someone say you lack ambition because of what you're doing for work and that you don't have a college degree is rude,insulting and degrading.You will find what makes you happy for you.

Old 08-04-2020, 05:28 PM

197 posts, read 204,939 times
Okay, why is OP getting so much sympathy while simultaneously completely ignoring the male equivalent of herself?

If a straight man were the OP of a thread with similar wording, everyone would be calling him an entitled incel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships