Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 09:12 PM

15 posts, read 26,569 times

Advertisements

Has anyone here ever dated a guy in a wheelchair? I'm 27 years old and fairly good looking. I do however have a hard time approaching women. Fear of rejection. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 09:37 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,734,327 times
the way people carry on and reject others for the smallest thing. too bad you want to be a part of all of that nonsense. but you can join an online site for 'disabled' people and see if you can meet women on there.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:39 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,509,747 times
When I lived in Florida, I knew someone who was paralyzed from the waist down due to a car accident. He met a lot of people by volunteering for an animal shelter and he met someone there. So like I said, volunteer work would be a great way.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:47 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,635,477 times
I asked a guy out who was in a wheelchair due to spina bifida. He politely declined.

I absolutely wouldn't mind dating a guy in a wheelchair

Old 07-21-2012, 10:17 PM

15 posts, read 26,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I asked a guy out who was in a wheelchair due to spina bifida. He politely declined.

I absolutely wouldn't mind dating a guy in a wheelchair
Aww,,, that's too bad he turned you down.. Maybe he was too shy.. How old are you if you don't mind me asking?

Old 07-21-2012, 10:24 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,939,231 times
I remember a girl on my campus was really hot and had a wheelchair but I was nervous to approach someone I didnt know and ask them out. For guys it probably is a bit harder but you can use it to your advantage. You can approach a girl and its less likely she'll be mean to you and she won't find it as scary as an able bodied man approaching them. Then go up to them and be like "I gotta go in like a minute but I'm wondering...have you ever fed bread to a duck" or some goofy q, keep the convo light then after a few min be like "hey I gotta go, let me get your number and we can continue this convo somewhere cooler" then there you go.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheels1200 View Post
Aww,,, that's too bad he turned you down.. Maybe he was too shy.. How old are you if you don't mind me asking?
He definitely wasn't shy, I knew him for many years. He is actually pretty incredible and I still hang out with him from time to time. He just wasn't into me, no big deal.

I'm 28.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:49 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,900,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheels1200 View Post
I wonder if people with disabilities ever turn people down out of a sense of feeling "not good enough" or anything like that? Not implying that they really aren't "good enough" but Ive known people with disabilities who had people who were clearly into them, and they were also into the other person, but they still turned them down????

Old 07-21-2012, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I wonder if people with disabilities ever turn people down out of a sense of feeling "not good enough" or anything like that? Not implying that they really aren't "good enough" but Ive known people with disabilities who had people who were clearly into them, and they were also into the other person, but they still turned them down????
I can definitely see that happening. I have a genetic disorder and have to receive regular meds through an IV and I have a very difficult time telling people about it. Every time I'm interested in a man, I just think about telling him about it and I just don't want to deal with the heartbreak of him disappearing after he finds out. It's happened before and I'd rather just not deal with it.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:56 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,611,310 times
I know someone who is in a wheelchair as a result of being born with MD. He's had a hard time finding someone, despite being a very cool and sweet guy. However while plenty of people are willing to look past the wheelchair, sadly there are many who will not.

I imagine there is hope out there for everyone, it's just usually in the places you least expect to find it. The best thing to do is try to get involved in things that make you happy and you may meet someone along the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships