Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2020, 11:13 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,795,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Way easier for single people on male extortion day....whoops I mean Valentine’s Day. Where would hallmark be without the holiday.
Male extortion day! Thats the perfect name!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2020, 12:05 PM

2,066 posts, read 902,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
A homemade meal and one single rose or a balloon from the dollar store go a long way.

"All they had left was Get Well Soon …"

Old 02-14-2020, 12:54 PM

946 posts, read 776,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegal View Post
I always loved Valentine's Day when I was younger, and giving out/getting valentines in school. My birthday is also in February (well before V-Day)...so it was always sort of my favorite month. The colors (pink + red were always my favorite), the hearts...it just seems like it was meant to be my month. lol.

So, in addition to always wanting and looking forward to having a boyfriend someday, I especially always thought about how nice it would be to have someone to spend valentine's and my birthday with...someone that cared enough to remember, anyway, and to give each other gifts, etc....but, that didn't really happen. Aside from my 12-year old boyfriend, which was during the summer, before he moved away and became a jerk...lol. I didn't really date much until a couple years ago, and the last 2 years, both times I started dating someone in the fall (and they actually asked when my birthday was, early on), and after a while I thought, how nice, to have someone to spend holidays, my birthday, and valentine's with...but, both times, things ended shortly before or after my birthday. The second time, I ended things after my birthday came and went, and he didn't seem to pick up on the hint (not that he would have cared anyway), so I figured I'd rather end things myself, then let him ruin Valentine's Day too. This year, I was actually glad I was single and haven't even bothered trying to date in ages, so I can't be disappointed again. I just think it's sad. I don't know if it's because guys are so cheap these days, that they'll dump you rather than have to buy you a present? I always wanted to be able to spend Valentine's and my birthday, and New Year's Eve, with someone special...and now, I don't even bother expecting anything from anyone.

Anyone else like this?
Going on about the 8th in row.

Unfortunately I work where there are about 3000 employees. So right when you walk in the door there are at least 50 rose arrangements men have sent to the company for their significant other. And they're coming in all day long. Rather than do this in person or at home supposedly the proper thing to do is send it to work where they can be acknowledged by everyone and security can spend half the day dealing with plants rather than their regular job.

Not only that the department manager (female) provided about 5 cakes and other sweets and other refreshments for the day.

So it is not easy to avoid the occasion, but once I walk out the door back to normalcy.

Old 02-14-2020, 01:40 PM

2,066 posts, read 902,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin65 View Post

Unfortunately I work where there are about 3000 employees. So right when you walk in the door there are at least 50 rose arrangements men have sent to the company for their significant other. And they're coming in all day long. Rather than do this in person or at home supposedly the proper thing to do is send it to work where they can be acknowledged by everyone and security can spend half the day dealing with plants rather than their regular job.

Not only that the department manager (female) provided about 5 cakes and other sweets and other refreshments for the day.

So it is not easy to avoid the occasion, but once I walk out the door back to normalcy.

I can only imagine the misery of someone who has a sensitivity to scents or blooms.

Old 02-15-2020, 03:42 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,038,358 times
Quote:

Yeah, I never really got the whole "Send roses to your sig other/spouse" at work, when they could just be waiting for her at home ...and then some.

Old 02-15-2020, 12:07 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,763,058 times
Quote:

I literally took the late shift yesterday to avoid all the crap. Thankfully no one in my department made a fuss but it can get annoying see the receptionist handle all those flowers candy and crap. Just screaming attention .

Old 02-16-2020, 09:09 PM

2,074 posts, read 1,645,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegal View Post
I always loved Valentine's Day when I was younger, and giving out/getting valentines in school. My birthday is also in February (well before V-Day)...so it was always sort of my favorite month. The colors (pink + red were always my favorite), the hearts...it just seems like it was meant to be my month. lol.

So, in addition to always wanting and looking forward to having a boyfriend someday, I especially always thought about how nice it would be to have someone to spend valentine's and my birthday with...someone that cared enough to remember, anyway, and to give each other gifts, etc....but, that didn't really happen. Aside from my 12-year old boyfriend, which was during the summer, before he moved away and became a jerk...lol. I didn't really date much until a couple years ago, and the last 2 years, both times I started dating someone in the fall (and they actually asked when my birthday was, early on), and after a while I thought, how nice, to have someone to spend holidays, my birthday, and valentine's with...but, both times, things ended shortly before or after my birthday. The second time, I ended things after my birthday came and went, and he didn't seem to pick up on the hint (not that he would have cared anyway), so I figured I'd rather end things myself, then let him ruin Valentine's Day too. This year, I was actually glad I was single and haven't even bothered trying to date in ages, so I can't be disappointed again. I just think it's sad. I don't know if it's because guys are so cheap these days, that they'll dump you rather than have to buy you a present? I always wanted to be able to spend Valentine's and my birthday, and New Year's Eve, with someone special...and now, I don't even bother expecting anything from anyone.

Anyone else like this?
My opinion is that Valentine's Day is great for people in long-term, stable relationships or in a strong coursthip stage with mutual motivation for engagement, marriage, etc. Otherwise, it's too half-hearted or "half-baked" of a relationship to celebrate the holiday. Divorce rates tend to spike around the holidays - particularly February. Lawyers are well aware of it. They typically get far more clients that time of year.

So, for the casual dater, February 15 and beyond are actually ideal - no pressure to artificially intensify a relationship which may not become serious. Divorce rates and infidelity are too high these days.

Old 02-18-2020, 07:38 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,995,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
Divorce rates and infidelity are too high these days.

What would you consider a non high divorce rate?

Old 02-18-2020, 10:31 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,795,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
What would you consider a non high divorce rate?
I'll bite. 30%. Right now its over 50% I think.

Old 02-18-2020, 10:58 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,995,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I'll bite. 30%. Right now its over 50% I think.

Actually, its roughly 30% (slightly higher, depending on data set its 31-35%). Lower for college educated people and people that waited until adulthood for marriage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships