Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 09:49 AM

20,771 posts, read 20,035,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLind View Post
I never dated a popcorn guy. Must be someone else. My boyfriend is a contractor. I can't work with him because I don't have the knowledge or skill set to build infrastructure. I'd have to go back to college. Plus, I'd have to quit my job at the non profit I work for (which is actually in my field and area of expertise).
Okay, sorry, I got this confused. There was somebody else on here with the same issue and he was a popcorn popper .

So you say his business is temporary. What does that mean? For how much longer? You say a few months and what happens then? Isn't there even more business in the summer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 10:08 AM

352 posts, read 234,584 times
You're a solid woman hanging in there.

Having been in a similar circumstance (lost an awesome GF due to time) awhile back, I have an idea of that type of busy-scheduling anxiety. In the end...my hunch is he will get more comfortable with his time challenges and accept it as the way it is.

The dude is wounded from that part of his divorce....as we know time heals all wounds.

Old 02-27-2017, 10:17 AM

1,915 posts, read 1,486,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Okay, sorry, I got this confused. There was somebody else on here with the same issue and he was a popcorn popper .

So you say his business is temporary. What does that mean? For how much longer? You say a few months and what happens then? Isn't there even more business in the summer?
No worries. I can't keep who is who straight at all. I'm impressed that people remember the things they do. I probably have a similar user name as well as a similar situation.

My boyfriend is a contractor (owns a contracting company). By nature, all contracts are temporary--they build the product and then they are done. Think of it like builders who contract... they build a house or redo a kitchen and move to the next project/contract.

Depending on what they are, some contracts might last a few years, others a few months. This one is just a short contract, but it's a lot of work that needs to be done in an nearly insanely short amount of time (my boyfriend had to hire a bunch more people just to get this done and it's still a lot of overtime). He's the type that doesn't go home when his employees are still at work--he looks out for others he cares for (part of his appeal actually).

Old 02-27-2017, 10:22 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,096,938 times
Quote:

He's the type ...
Like I said, it's who he is.

Things will always be this way, OP, no matter what is going on in your lives. It may calm down in between, but there will always be another project, and you won't really be able to complain because, after all, it's his livelihood and what puts food on the table.

Even if you are having a baby or going through issues with your family member, he will always feel that pull toward the business. Just know that. It's a lifestyle that I am very familiar with. It's up to you to decide if you can handle it.

Old 02-27-2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck-67 View Post
You're a solid woman hanging in there.

Having been in a similar circumstance (lost an awesome GF due to time) awhile back, I have an idea of that type of busy-scheduling anxiety. In the end...my hunch is he will get more comfortable with his time challenges and accept it as the way it is.

The dude is wounded from that part of his divorce....as we know time heals all wounds.
Thanks! It's a strength of mine. I tend to be very loyal and patient. But to be honest, it can also be a weakness as I also have a tendency to stay with men a lot longer than I should (if the relationship has soured/died). So it's a trait that's awesome if I'm with the right man, but self destructive if I'm with the wrong man. But he's the "right man" so to speak. He's clearly putting in extra effort into the relationship when he can and he's concerned. I just don't want him to worry (concern is good, worry is not).

Old 02-27-2017, 10:26 AM

1,658 posts, read 1,261,131 times
Just be patient with him and his busy schedule. I think his worry over losing you will lessen with time, as he realizes you aren't going to leave him or throw his workload in his face.

Old 02-27-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Like I said, it's who he is.

Things will always be this way, OP, no matter what is going on in your lives. It may calm down in between, but there will always be another project, and you won't really be able to complain because, after all, it's his livelihood and what puts food on the table.

Even if you are having a baby or going through issues with your family member, he will always feel that pull toward the business. Just know that. It's a lifestyle that I am very familiar with. It's up to you to decide if you can handle it.
My dad was also an entrepreneur and businessman. It's a lot like that. My dad always deeply loved my mom and us kids, even if work pulled him away a lot. So it's something I'm accustomed to as well, but not from a romantic partner. My dad, unfortunately, died young in his 50s (cancer) and that's part of my concern for my boyfriend too (you have to enjoy life too and have a balance because some day it will all be over).

I hope that makes sense. His working a lot doesn't bother me except for the toll it may take on him.

Old 02-27-2017, 11:00 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,096,938 times
Quote:
My dad was also an entrepreneur and businessman. It's a lot like that. My dad always deeply loved my mom and us kids, even if work pulled him away a lot. So it's something I'm accustomed to as well, but not from a romantic partner. My dad, unfortunately, died young in his 50s (cancer) and that's part of my concern for my boyfriend too (you have to enjoy life too and have a balance because some day it will all be over).

I hope that makes sense. His working a lot doesn't bother me except for the toll it may take on him.
The fact that it feels familiar is probably what has allowed you to tolerate it to this point.

Good luck to you. Hopefully he can get a handle on how to manage his own stress. It doesn't really sound like you are adding to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships