Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 04:55 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Ah, but it's not "just a piece of paper" when it comes to the possible practical benefits for us.

In terms of commitment and the nature of our relationship, yeah, it's not really something that is necessary or that either one of us really feels the need for. Which I only brought up because there seems to be an idea floating around that somehow there is a force external to the relationship that makes the union more sacrosanct if there is marriage involved. That, for whatever reason, the rules are that things change when there is a legal document involved. While I certainly respect that others feel that this is true in their own relationships, it's really not a universal truth.
But things do change.

The idea that there is a harsher penalty for ending the relationship does in fact subconsciously change the way people approach the relationship - the "personal" commitment as opposed to "just" the moral or legal or even religious ones.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...tal-commitment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 04:58 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
There isn't much to add on this one except this.

MARRIED AND DOMESTIC PARTNERS HAVE ANNIVERSARIES. DATING DOES NOT.

Sounds like those silly teens who are celebrating their 8th month anniversary. Cheesy...
Anything that happens can have an anniversary.

Old 03-02-2017, 05:03 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMetal View Post
What would these expressed rules for married couples be? I've been married almost 30 years & have never heard of expressed rules. We have agreements between us, for us, that vary greatly from one married couple to another. I don't think it's fair to assume that there are some sort of "expressed rules" or frankly, even implied rules. What's ok for my DH & me, may be unthinkable to you & vice versa. That's why communication of expectations is key!
Let's not get caught up in semantics. "Stated expectations" = "expressed rules." Every couple sets boundaries for conduct they deem important and expected (and, if they're at all competent at interpersonal communication, openly discusses them, versus just internally sets them and expects them to just be known). Whether or not you label them "rules" isn't really the point.

Old 03-02-2017, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
If I have an anniversary for how long I've been at my job, I would certainly have an anniversary for how long I've been with my parter, married, cohabiting, or not. Do I think it's silly if 15-year olds make a big fuss over their "two week anniversary of going out?" Of course. But, not really the point.

Old 03-02-2017, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
This is self help book phycology nonsense.
No, jealousy and insecurity are, in fact, real. And they are maladaptive.

Oh, and there is no such thing as "phycology."

Old 03-02-2017, 05:13 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,031,890 times
Quote:
I get that but c'mon. What day is the anniversary? The day they met? Their first kiss? When they became exclusive?
Yes technically you can, but it sounds crazy when couples do that and I've rarely heard of it in people past 20. It's like the 17 yr old girl who has a fit that her bf would go to football practice on their 36 week anniversary. It's not a rule but an opinion. The point is the op is using it as an example of why she was in the wrong. Thinking it adds to his case when many just roll their eyes harder.

Curiosity is getting me. If they do marry, are there 2 anniversaries to remember or does the first one get ditched?

Old 03-02-2017, 05:13 PM

Quote:
They're called vows.
Where's that one dude who always chimes in that he isn't familiar with wedding ceremonies including vows? It's been a while since he weighed in.

Old 03-02-2017, 05:19 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,015,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
But things do change.

The idea that there is a harsher penalty for ending the relationship does in fact subconsciously change the way people approach the relationship - the "personal" commitment as opposed to "just" the moral or legal or even religious ones.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...tal-commitment
Ok, guess I should reconsider my idea of commitment then, if a piece of paper really has all this power.

Old 03-02-2017, 05:23 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,015,348 times
Quote:
They're called vows.
Which is yet another version of "what people determine between themselves".

Old 03-02-2017, 05:28 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Ok, guess I should reconsider my idea of commitment then, if a piece of paper really has all this power.
Maybe so
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships