Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 11:51 AM

26,701 posts, read 41,816,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky2224 View Post
There is this article and it's so true: Yo, Millennials: Marriage Creates Financial Security, Not Vice Versa

I think anyone you date should be able to look at it this way...
If you got married and lived off one income for 2 years, you would about have that paid off. That's like the length of time it takes to finish a grad school program. I know many people who lived off one income with their spouse while they went back to school full time. After that 2 years, you both benefit from the fact that you have that degree and higher earning potential... For what, another 25 - 35 years? Sounds like a good trade-off to me!
Quote:
Millennials would do well to avoid single parenthood, either by marrying earlier or delaying sex until our later wedding dates.
With that part, that article made clear it had an agenda and as far as I'm concerned discredited itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2017, 03:12 PM

25 posts, read 23,197 times
Quote:
Millennials would do well to avoid single parenthood, either by marrying earlier or delaying sex until our later wedding dates.

Yes, I agree. That in particular is not a great point. But I do think there are other good points.

Old 04-11-2017, 12:18 AM

108 posts, read 291,194 times
As others have said upthread, yes I would date someone with that much debt, but never consider them for marriage. Making bad financial decisions is indicative of making bad life decisions in general. Otherwise insurance co's and employers would not use them.

Old 04-21-2017, 04:25 AM

6,404 posts, read 6,302,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonder100 View Post
Would you date someone who is fit and has a good career, making about $70,000, but who is about $100,000 in debt (mostly student loans), and who pays off about $1,000/month?
No. Only because I've been married before and the type of person I am, was compelled to pay off his debt. And then he just got more. Big problems for us.

Old 04-21-2017, 04:57 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,780,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonder100 View Post
Would you date someone who is fit and has a good career, making about $70,000, but who is about $100,000 in debt (mostly student loans), and who pays off about $1,000/month?
less than ideal, but yes, that's an acceptable amount of debt for someone about 25 years old

Old 04-21-2017, 12:40 PM

2,867 posts, read 1,547,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayolm View Post
As others have said upthread, yes I would date someone with that much debt, but never consider them for marriage. Making bad financial decisions is indicative of making bad life decisions in general.
So what would this say about their desire to date you?

Not all debt is the result of "making bad financial decisions." There is such a thing as a medical bankruptcy in this country with its horrible health system. There is also divorce, layoffs, and other situations that happen to people. Perhaps you do not remember the last recession, from which there has only been recovery in name for many people, and not true economic recovery.

Are you young? It seems there are many people here in the 20s who have not experienced much of an economic cycle or have any real life stage changes. This is the age of saying "I would never..." and then in the 30s you go back and laugh because you do all the things you said in your 20s you would never do. When you get to the 50s, then you laugh so hard you break a rib over it, and you also laugh when you hear people in the 20s who think they have it all figured out.

Old 04-22-2017, 04:23 PM

209 posts, read 169,539 times
My debt is my debt, and my fiances is hers.
She has more school debt than I.
I only had a 10,200 loan for truck school.
Most was paid off while I was in school and then through company reimbursement.
Down to 2400 2 years after completing school.
I also have some medical debt. I pay it $5 a month as I just don't care.
Pay thousands a year for health insurance for nothing.
What does it matter

Old 04-25-2017, 09:40 PM

2,076 posts, read 1,652,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Exactly. Lol.

Before I go on a date with you, can I please request a copy of your W2 forms for the past 3 years, a recent credit report from 3 major credit reporting companies, and while your at it, your recent STD testing/health exams.
I doubt the hook-ups during Spring Break in FL have that questionnaire in use (LOL).

Realistically, most college students have debt these days. $100,000 is not uncommon for those with an MBA or law degree. Medical students (MDs) get even more debt. The debt for an unmarried college graduate just starting out with a career is not nearly as bad as a divorced single parent with loss of net worth > $500,000 and lost of home, child custody, automobile, etc.
https://www.divorcecorp.com/finances/net-worth/

So it could be worse.

Old 04-28-2017, 07:13 AM

30 posts, read 24,718 times
Well, speaking from my own personal experience, me having a HUGE amount of debt was an issue. Or, so I was told. What did I do? Well, I used the fact that my debt was what was scaring off women as motivation to pay that mess off once and for all. So, for a solid year, I worked like there was no tomorrow. I was working three jobs, I only ate ramen noodles, I did not see the light of day. Don't get me wrong, it was AWESOME being rid of that debt. The problem was, it made no difference. I was still getting turned down. Now, of course, the next thing I thought was that something else must have been the issue. But, I was told it was the debt, yet when I no longer had debt, nothing changed.

Old 04-28-2017, 07:20 AM

30 posts, read 24,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nut4sweets View Post
Depend how old he is. If a man is 45 or older, and carries a $30K debt or more (mortgage and car payments not included), then no. Not even student loan. It means he's not financially responsible, and lives above his means. I have many family members who have a six figures student loans because of higher education (medical school), and they paid it off before turning 40. I went through college with barely any student loan since I was extremely frugal during college time. Paid mine off within one year of working full-time. No debt thereafter (except house mortgage).
LOL, if the dude is 45, he is too old to be dating anyway. Who still dates at such an advanced age?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships