Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 08:00 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
This is my personal perspective. Borrowing for a long-term investment and making active use of that investment isn't likely to concern me, as I don't consider it debt centered around frivolous or irresponsible spending habits. This is presuming the debt is managed and handled responsibly, not with a bunch of drama around defaults, unnecessarily high interest, etc.

Some types of debt aren't a dealbreaker, as not all borrowing indicates poor financial management and/or judgment, negative behavioral issues tied in with spending, etc.

Student loan is one thing but if they are also living way beyond their means and have an expensive car and a house that is way over their means that is a flag to me that they don't know how to budget and live within their means.

So a fancy expensive car and a big house in a posh/expensive neighborhood in addition to big student debt would make me wary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2017, 08:29 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
Yes, I would.

However, I would not date anybody with dumb debt - I am not compatible with people who can't handle their finances well.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:36 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
I have student loan debt. It sucks, sure.. but my credit is fine and I make enough money that it doesn't affect our lives. My wife doesn't pay a dime of her own money on my student debt. We don't own a house because we can't decide where to live, however every time I have gone to a mortgage broker my student loans are barely even brought up and we are qualified for exactly what we'd want.

I don't have one ounce of debt anywhere else though, no car debt, credit cards etc..

I think a lot depends on the person in debt, and how much it'll affect the other person in the relationship. There are too many variables to say " would you date someone with debt?"

Hell, I looked back on a post from many years ago of mine and I said I'd never date a girl with a kid. That didn't pan out either.

Old 03-22-2017, 11:23 AM

735 posts, read 452,457 times
Depend how old he is. If a man is 45 or older, and carries a $30K debt or more (mortgage and car payments not included), then no. Not even student loan. It means he's not financially responsible, and lives above his means. I have many family members who have a six figures student loans because of higher education (medical school), and they paid it off before turning 40. I went through college with barely any student loan since I was extremely frugal during college time. Paid mine off within one year of working full-time. No debt thereafter (except house mortgage).

Old 03-22-2017, 11:26 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,581,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonder100 View Post
Would you date someone who is fit and has a good career, making about $70,000, but who is about $100,000 in debt (mostly student loans), and who pays off about $1,000/month?
If they just finished an advanced degree, it might be OK, but if they have been out of school for a long time, no.

Old 03-22-2017, 12:06 PM

221 posts, read 183,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Date them? Sure.

Marry them? No.
^^^This! Exactly this!

Old 03-22-2017, 12:22 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,304,633 times
Would you? I sure as hell wouldn't.

Old 03-22-2017, 12:29 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,377,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonder100 View Post
Thank you for the replies! And humor, ha. Yes, I am the one in debt...

I guess I should clarify:
Would it be a deal breaker if things were to turn serious, after having dated a while?
It would be a deal breaker for me.

Old 03-22-2017, 12:32 PM

352 posts, read 234,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Date them? Sure.

Marry them? No.
^^^ This

It's no ones biz IMO from either party without either the legal contract or the otherwise co-mingling of finances.

If in doubt- don't discuss it...

Old 03-23-2017, 06:52 PM

6 posts, read 4,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Since you have a plan and a good career to pay for it, I think in your case it is not a big deal. I would be more concerned getting married to someone who has a habitual problem with personal finance. A lot of divorces site money as a major contributor.

For my wife and I, it was a problem for a short period of time in our marriage. Long story short, I wiped the slate clean and dumped my entire savings and paid her debts off. It was the only recourse I could think of to quickly resolve the situation. My wife in turn made efforts to change spending habits. She's actually more frugal than I now... and while money is always an topic of concern we are always on the same page when it comes to goals. I think it is important to note that she was embarrassed of her financial situation and kept it hidden from me until after we were married. I was actually more angry that she wasn't honest with me about it even after we got engaged than the actual debt itself.

More details about what we went through in this post:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/43811150-post33.html
Thanks for sharing this, usayit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships