Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 07:35 AM

26,713 posts, read 41,938,458 times

Advertisements

I have NO options and I'm not willing to settle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 07:51 AM

1,713 posts, read 1,118,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I have NO options and I'm not willing to settle.
I would rather be the last person left alive on the planet, and I dream of that often.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:00 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,375,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbles76 View Post
I would rather be the last person left alive on the planet, and I dream of that often.
Just don't break your glasses, whatever you do

Old 05-03-2017, 08:15 AM
Status: "This too shall pass. But possibly, like a kidney stone." (set 23 days ago)

36,128 posts, read 18,413,257 times
This thread is so sad - reminds me of that Saturday Night Live series of skits, "Lowered Expectations" dating videos. Don't settle.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:18 AM

1,261 posts, read 979,295 times
Nah, my arms are long enough to reach my pecker, so I'm good...

Old 05-03-2017, 08:30 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,375,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLind View Post
I am of child bearing age (can't have kids though), but I too rather be alone than with the wrong man. Been there, done that, got the hat and it's not worth it. Being alone is much, much better.

Pretty much. There are billions of people on this planet. If you can't find a mate, it's not due to lack of options. Or you have impossibly high standards/are too picky. That doesn't mean it's easy to find someone, far from it. It just means there are multiple matches out there for you and saying there are none is defeatist.

Edited to add, I think maybe what most people mean when they say "there is no one out there for me" is "I've given up spending the energy to find someone for me." People are loath to say they give up, so the pass blame. Not sure why. There is nothing wrong with putting energy into pursuits other than finding a mate.
I think we think it's not supposed to be a challenge. Not rationally, but I think many people feel like there's something wrong with them if they don't currently have someone or at least have some prospects. So as you say, they blame the pool of prospects or they claim the pool dried up.

On the billions of people, though, I'm not sure. Follow my math.

7 billion people

3.5 billion women (for a straight man)

500 million in my age range

100 million I find reasonably attractive

13 find me attractive (this seems to be a big drop off )

2 of them are ex's, 2 are gay, 7 are in relationships

I'm not even checking to see where the two remaining "options" live

Point being, there can be a dearth of possibilities in a given location at a given time. That's no excuse to give up on finding someone, but it can be a real challenge requiring patience and determination, which brings me back to my first sentence.

Old 05-03-2017, 09:06 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,405,771 times
No. I wouldn't have settled. I had options. Some were better, more compatible than others.

Old 05-03-2017, 09:17 AM

20,779 posts, read 20,130,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Options never dry out! You are giving up...
Of course you have less options when you are getting older! People die, people are taken, people are damaged, people have baggage, people get sick, lose looks, you lose looks, you may have baggage, different expectations than when you were younger, ....

Old 05-03-2017, 09:46 AM

4,828 posts, read 4,309,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Of course you have less options when you are getting older! People die, people are taken, people are damaged, people have baggage, people get sick, lose looks, you lose looks, you may have baggage, different expectations than when you were younger, ....

Also, as we get older, life tends to take over too. Kids, ailing parents, our own ailing health, careers, and so on and so on. We're likely never going to be as free as we were as late teens and early adults. We just didn't have responsibilities. Now we have a mortgage/rent, car payment, utility bills, etc. That all impacts our availability to seek a mate. Too add to the equation, you also have prior bad dating experiences and relationships that can greatly alter a person's ability to seek a mate. Whether it makes them hesitant or over zealous, our experiences shape how much or low little energy we put into things.

I'm 33, and this is the first time in 5 years that I've put little energy into dating. Not because I don't want to date per say, but the reality for me right now is, I do have a good amount of hobbies that are taking up my time. I've also approached dating very differently this year, to where I'm going to focus A LOT more on myself, than I have in all my prior years of dating. By doing so, there's a chance I could miss out on someone for me.

In a nutshell, a lot of dating is about timing. If the timing isn't right, it's going to be hard to get off ground zero.

Old 05-03-2017, 09:53 AM

102,439 posts, read 108,851,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2MD View Post
Options dry up, it's a reality.
In order to settle, you have to have options. Settling is just another option. Think of the guys here who say they can't get women's attention, they can't get a date. How would they settle? In order to do that, one has to be able to get somebody's attention. "Settling" is for people who have the options to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships