Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 06:08 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,037,573 times

Advertisements

I have been debating this for a few years in my own head, but maybe I need some opinions. It could be a relationship or Fashion topic, but think relationship might be the better fit.

After my relationship with my sons father ended, I was left with a beautiful diamond engagement ring, diamond band and a men's diamond band.

I would like to trade in the two wedding bands, to have the diamond engagement ring turned into a diamond everyday ring for my right hand. Would this be acceptable? Is there any reason it would be inappropriate or give the wrong impression.

I am not remarried. This would be a ring that would have a 1 carat center diamond. I love this diamond. It is near perfect, certified and complete with a serial number, so I do want to keep the actual diamond. I am just missing wearing it and would rather not have it spend its days locked away.

So any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2017, 06:15 AM

9,375 posts, read 6,982,208 times
Or keep it for your son to give to his lady friend one day. Old fashioned but keeps the integrity if the diamond.

Old 05-17-2017, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Or keep it for your son to give to his lady friend one day. Old fashioned but keeps the integrity if the diamond.
I would have said that if the relationship was a happy ending. But as a relationship diamond...I think it is tainted. I want to wear it as an everyday diamond.

It was purchased by trading in my custom made ring from my first marriage, so really it was paid for by my ex husband.

Old 05-17-2017, 06:23 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,198,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I would have said that if the relationship was a happy ending. But as a relationship diamond...I think it is tainted. I want to wear it as an everyday diamond.

It was purchased by trading in my custom made ring from my first marriage, so really it was paid for by my ex husband.
Why then would you want a reminder by wearing it every day?

Old 05-17-2017, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lol-its-good4U View Post
Why then would you want a reminder by wearing it every day?
Emotionally it is not a reminder to me in that sense. I want to turn it into just jewelry. Pretty jewelry. That is it. I want it to have no tie to a relationship. I still have hopes of one day meeting a husband and receiving an engagement ring for my left hand. But for now I miss wearing rings, and it seems silly to have something so beautiful not being worn.

Old 05-17-2017, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Emotionally it is not a reminder to me in that sense. I want to turn it into just jewelry. Pretty jewelry. That is it. I want it to have no tie to a relationship. I still have hopes of one day meeting a husband and receiving an engagement ring for my left hand. But for now I miss wearing rings, and it seems silly to have something so beautiful not being worn.
More power to you to be able to not make that affect you, it would be different for me as a man.

I hope that you find him or he finds you, but maybe it'll be a gem ring instead j/k.

Old 05-17-2017, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lol-its-good4U View Post
More power to you to be able to not make that affect you, it would be different for me as a man.
Tell me more. How would it be different? Would it bother you if a woman you were dating already had a pretty diamond ring she wore everyday? Would it make it awkward to propose?

This is the part I am really lost on. I can easily change the ring within a few weeks at the local jeweler, but the other issues are important in future relationships. I would not want to offend a future husband.

Old 05-17-2017, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Tell me more. How would it be different? Would it bother you if a woman you were dating already had a pretty diamond ring she wore everyday? Would it make it awkward to propose?

This is the part I am really lost on. I can easily change the ring within a few weeks at the local jeweler, but the other issues are important in future relationships. I would not want to offend a future husband.
Sorry, I should of expanded my sentence to include if I had a ring from a previous bad relationship/marriage that I couldn't wear any part of it every day.

To reply to your post, it wouldn't bother me what jewelry she was wearing although if I knew it was from a previous relationship that might put in question if she was still thinking about "him" even though if she stated what you stated about using the diamond.

Old 05-17-2017, 07:25 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,207,141 times
Of course there's nothing wrong with refashioning the ring or reusing the stone into something you can wear.
I assume you would change the style? If not, and it's still going to look like an engagement ring, why bother, just wear it or resize, if necessary so it fits on your right hand.
If some new guy can't believe you when you tell him it's just a pretty inanimate object that you like, then he may be too insecure to bother with.

Old 05-17-2017, 07:30 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,659,160 times
I'm a little confused. Were you married? Also, how did you end up with his wedding band? I guess I'm with "lol", I think it's kind of tacky. Sell it and use the money to buy a ring without a history behind it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships