Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 09:41 AM

11,823 posts, read 12,072,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Don't other people have issues they take hard lines on as well? Like marriage, kids, etc. This is just ONE issue where I'm a definite on.
So this woman you're going to meet next month would you ditch her if she doesn't share your view on this issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 09:50 AM

26,701 posts, read 41,820,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
So this woman you're going to meet next month would you ditch her if she doesn't share your view on this issue?
If she turns out to be super entitled and expects material gifts at every turn, I have NO issue cutting the cord on it. However, she has given me every indication she isn't a materialistic person and she is more likely to go wild over a cleaned house and a hot dinner ready than a new expensive ring.

Old 06-06-2017, 02:02 PM

7,872 posts, read 10,312,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
I'm a woman and I don't get why some women feel like their bf needs to buy them things. Unless you're a housewife and don't have a job, I don't feel like anybody owes you anything. Don't get me wrong, I love having people give me things too, but I don't expect them to. In three days I have heard two women complain about their bf spending their money on their hobbies and not on them. I have dated people who seemed stingy, they also seemed like aholes most of the time, so I eventually left them. When women complain about their bf not giving them things, it makes me think the relationship is probably going to end soon because someone doesn't feel satisfied. Is it possible that maybe the bfs are lacking in other ways? Like if the guy was thoughtful in other ways that didn't involve money, would the women be complaining?
the culture we live in today fosters an ugly sense of entitlement amongst women , they are told from a young age that they can have what they want whether they can afford it themselves or not , they are also told that what their man owns is theres and that they should grab everything they can from him and will be lauded as strong women for doing so

Old 06-06-2017, 02:13 PM

36,711 posts, read 31,000,643 times
Quote:
I'm a woman and I don't get why some women feel like their bf needs to buy them things. Unless you're a housewife and don't have a job, I don't feel like anybody owes you anything. Don't get me wrong, I love having people give me things too, but I don't expect them to. In three days I have heard two women complain about their bf spending their money on their hobbies and not on them. I have dated people who seemed stingy, they also seemed like aholes most of the time, so I eventually left them. When women complain about their bf not giving them things, it makes me think the relationship is probably going to end soon because someone doesn't feel satisfied. Is it possible that maybe the bfs are lacking in other ways? Like if the guy was thoughtful in other ways that didn't involve money, would the women be complaining?
Why didn't you ask the the two women you heard complaining?
Why do some guys feel entitled for their gfs to cook for them or do their laundry?
Why do people feel entitled to anything?

Old 06-06-2017, 02:14 PM

36,711 posts, read 31,000,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
the culture we live in today fosters an ugly sense of entitlement amongst women , they are told from a young age that they can have what they want whether they can afford it themselves or not , they are also told that what their man owns is theres and that they should grab everything they can from him and will be lauded as strong women for doing so
I was never told that. Nor do I know of any woman that was told that.

Old 06-06-2017, 02:31 PM

264 posts, read 183,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
That's kind of a cynical view.....

I think my experience has been the opposite. I like to give some gifts and pay for things for a woman that I'm in a relationship with. I just like to express my feelings by taking care of her. But I've found that I need to be very careful with this. A limited number of small and well-thought-out gifts seems to convey the message, but overdoing it creates this creepy vibe where she thinks I'm trying to purchase her affection.

Only once did I date a woman that expected me to give her things, but that was some time ago when we were both immature.

Old 06-06-2017, 02:49 PM

13,261 posts, read 8,063,950 times
Wow. Entitlement. LOL I shake my head.

Bottom line, women want to feel like they matter to their man. Loving gestures take all kinds of shapes, as they should. And the loving gestures should go both ways. It should be about wanting to make the other happy, and finding ways to do that.

My sweet husband is a very generous man, who, glory of glories, seems to like my company. If he's going to the hardware store for nails, he asks if I want to come along, and usually takes me to lunch afterwards. He LIKES me. He SPOILS me. And he's spoiled me SO much, that other guys just don't compare. All the rest of you guys (unless you are Sam Elliot) aren't good enough for me basically.

This lovey dovieness goes both ways. I DO for him, because he is worthy. If I'm at the store, and see something he's mentioned wanting, and I can afford it, I get it. I do all the housework and groceries because he does EVERYTHING else.

His love language used to be about buying me electronics, because HE has a thing for electronics...but then figured out I'm more about shiny baubles...and so on special occasions, he buys me pretty things. He often asks me, and I feel completely comfortable telling him. For example; "Honey, what would you like for Christmas?" "I'd like a new engagement ring." (I lost my old one.) So he bought one for me. He has no problem telling me what my limit is, and I have no problem with being told.

He supports me in my creative endeavors...not just supports me, but seems to admire and promote them. I love that about him. I'm a gardener by hobby...so he built me a greenhouse. A couple of years ago, I was into jewelry making, so he set up a workspace in our basement...stuff like that. I appreciate being treated like a princess. Do I deserve it? Well, all that matters is that he thinks so.

Does that make me materialistic?

Old 06-06-2017, 03:06 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,324,652 times
Quote:
You'd be surprised at the lenghts men go to get laid.

Old 06-06-2017, 03:17 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,744,227 times
Quote:

I know!!!!
I sell jewerly of the side and I sell alot of jewerly to guys/men to give to their girl freinds/wives. There was this guy I was selling to the other day and he was like I bought my girl freind this charm bracelete with only one charm and she was like I like it but you only bought me one charm. In my head I was like what a greedy ungrateful witch . The bracelete with the one charm likely cost him $150 bucks. I was so tempted to asking why he would be so stupid to stay in a relationship with someone so greedy.... but he is planning to buy jewerly from me for her every 1-2 weeks ... so his stupidity is my profit so I shut my mouth. I did tell him wow maybe I need a boy freind instead of a husband lol !

I have no idea why some women I like that. I joke with my husband about stuff like that but it is more because is he tight with this money lol. So if he is getting on my nevers and want to get ride of him for a while I walk in to somewhere really expensive and try to stick him with the bill lol !

Old 06-06-2017, 03:24 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,324,652 times
I'll even say this. If I'm not in a serious relationship with a woman don't ask me for nothing. I realize I might get my a** handed to me for this but oh well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships