Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 01:50 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,806,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Funny you mention this. I have heard a few stories where a guy brings some gal home (usually from a bar) and the guys dog - normally a friendly dog, but usually a big enough dog you have to take seriously - just pitches a fit, won't let the gal into the house or apt. Then the guy finds out that the dog saved him from all sorts of STDs.

Just an urban legend as far as I know. Although dogs in particular have an amazing sense of smell, and it might be possible the dog didn't like her scent, due to her "issues".

As for me - love me, love my cats too, or adios.
This is amazingly original for the man and his dog movement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 01:53 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,627,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Your cat will be dead years before a hypothetical partner, in all likelihood.

Being animal lovers is a big shared trait among my spouse and I. A non-pet person isn't somebody either of us would have been too interested in dating.

That doesn't mean so pets he's bonded to are gonna be ones I am, or vice versa. Or that we like all the same animals. I would never give the seal of approval on getting a cat. My husband would probably be okay with one, if not for our non-cat friendly dogs, but fortunately, it won't happen due to family allergies and us wanting to continue hosting family when they visit.
Yes, it's unfortunate that the lifespans of our pets are so short compared to humans, but that doesn't make me view her as any less important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
Placebo

Your relationship with you cat is less complex and much more simple to manage. You're getting from it what you wish to becuase it only requires you give the most basic of care towards to receive attention and affection from it. Likewise, your expectations for your relationship with your cat also has far less expectations attached due to its nature.
I prefer our relationship.

Old 06-15-2017, 01:53 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,016,353 times
No, I don't think it would bother me. Lots of people have trouble bonding with catfish. Not sure why.

Old 06-15-2017, 01:58 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,961,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
My cat comes first. We've been together for 10 years. Guys come and go very quickly. Not liking her or being allergic to her is a dealbreaker.
Amen.

I am the same way about my Shelly Cat. She's been with me for 3 years, and we already survived a fire in our old apartment building where I saved her when I evacuated. She and my wallet and keys were the only things I had when I ran out of there.

It's funny, I have a platonic friend who doesn't care for cats. When he comes over to hang out, she'll sit on his lap. She doesn't even sit on my lap!!! She'll stand on it, or walk over me to get to the other side of the couch, but that's about it.

Old 06-15-2017, 02:06 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,627,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Amen.

I am the same way about my Shelly Cat. She's been with me for 3 years, and we already survived a fire in our old apartment building where I saved her when I evacuated. She and my wallet and keys were the only things I had when I ran out of there.

It's funny, I have a platonic friend who doesn't care for cats. When he comes over to hang out, she'll sit on his lap. She doesn't even sit on my lap!!! She'll stand on it, or walk over me to get to the other side of the couch, but that's about it.
LOL, that is funny. My cat sits on my lap constantly. She usually hides when people come over, but last year I had a date come over who was allergic to cats and she stayed in the room with us. Maybe she did it out of spite in hopes that he'd leave.

Glad you and your kitty made it out of the apartment safely!

Old 06-15-2017, 02:22 PM

4,828 posts, read 4,289,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
This.

I also think the, "My dog reacted poorly to X person I brought home, so I know he/she must have been a bad person" line is bunk.

My dog reacted poorly to my now-toddler when I brought him home from the hospital at 3 days old. Pretty sure my infant wasn't/isn't a bad person.

Animals can be territorial and neurotic. That is all.
There's a lot of people that have what I consider pretty unrealistic relationships with their pets, which makes it to where no romantic partner can live up to the satisfaction of their pet. Think on that for a little bit. I love dogs and cats, but I'm very realistic about pet ownership. They're part of the family, but they're not going to be a huge deciding factor in my love life, unless that partner is obviously mistreating the pets. I've met more women in the last 3-5 years who consider their pets their absolute best friends. I just can't fathom that. I truly do love animals, but I draw the line.

I've had women tell me that since I wasn't head over heels about their pet that they felt it was best we don't see each other again. That's all fine and dandy. I'm not one to want to compete with another person's pet.

Old 06-15-2017, 02:26 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,016,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
There's a lot of people that have what I consider pretty unrealistic relationships with their pets, which makes it to where no romantic partner can live up to the satisfaction of their pet. Think on that for a little bit. I love dogs and cats, but I'm very realistic about pet ownership. They're part of the family, but they're not going to be a huge deciding factor in my love life, unless that partner is obviously mistreating the pets. I've met more women in the last 3-5 years who consider their pets their absolute best friends. I just can't fathom that. I truly do love animals, but I draw the line.

I've had women tell me that since I wasn't head over heels about their pet that they felt it was best we don't see each other again. That's all fine and dandy. I'm not one to want to compete with another person's pet.

It's a defense mechanism. A self created barrier to getting close.

I totally get love of animals. I can't imagine not having pets in general. That might be a dealbreaker!

Old 06-15-2017, 02:26 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,363,611 times
She doesn't have to like or bond with my dog, but show respect, as for he is a part of me.

Ive not yet had a woman dislike my dog, in fact, Ive dated a few women because of my dog. Hes been a loyal friend and my wing man.

Old 06-15-2017, 02:32 PM

926 posts, read 674,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I am so sorry to hear about Cynthia.
Thanks for your sweet comment. I miss her every day. I didn't want to get another cat right away after that happened...and TBH, I didn't want another one. But, it's been almost 3 years since Cynthia went to heaven, and now I'm ready to give my heart and my love to another beautiful kitty. I almost feel like I'll be betraying her by getting another cat, but I just miss having one so much...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Amen.

Oh wow, thank God you were able to save Shelly from the fire!!! Ha, Cynthia used to act snooty towards me sometimes lol and not sit on my lap or lay next to me when I wanted her to, but thank goodness she didn't act like that too often!

Old 06-15-2017, 02:36 PM

29,755 posts, read 34,439,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
I've met more women in the last 3-5 years who consider their pets their absolute best friends. I just can't fathom that. I truly do love animals, but I draw the line.
Oh, the people who call their pets "fur babies"? And who pat themselves on the back and expect kudos for being a "dog mom" on Mother's Day? Those people are a little nuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships