Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2017, 08:08 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Did you give her a couple of days to come back with another time to meet up?

Sure didn't sound like it. If someone isn't feeling well, or is too tired to meet, and asks to reschedule, I'm not going to be a Richard and make her, or expect her, to suggest another date and time on the spot or tell her off. The simple solution, and the polite one is, "Sure, we can reschedule. Let me know what might work for you." and leave it in her court and move on. Simple. Polite.

She did just this. She said she was too tired and asked if we could reschedule, and he pushed.
After the OP dragged it out of her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 08:12 AM

437 posts, read 336,264 times
So according to the original poster they both work. And they had both worked a lot leading up to the date, so much so that they were both very tired.

Yet, they schedule a first date for 9.30pm on a week night? Lol who does that?

I have never heard of anyone doing that in my life. Friday, Saturday obviously much different.

Old 06-30-2017, 08:12 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
After the OP dragged it out of her.

No, it was really clear what she was saying from the beginning when he typed it all out. Seriously.

I mean, sheet, if someone says something like "hopefully I can make it by then"

Your automatic reaction should be:

"Is later better? If tonight doesn't work, we can reschedule for another day"

This is a pretty basic social nicety. But he kept at it, she said she was too tired, he kept at it more, she asked to reschedule. He went off.

Old 06-30-2017, 08:15 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,039,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Sure that happens, but most of us are adults, maybe you are in your teens and that affects your thinking on this, I don't know. Adults should be able to say what they mean and mean what they say.

Finding someone is easy these days, but putting up with BS like this woman in the op story is not lol
I'm likely older than you and have been successful in both dating and in my marriage. Are you? And I'll be the first to tell you that terms such as "putting up with BS" is a sign of a really rigid person. To be sure, there are lines to draw in the sand. But someone deciding that she wasn't feeling up to a date after a day at work isn't one of them.

I mean, "I'm tired and don't feel like driving" isn't exactly subtle. Well, it isn't to anyone with decent social antennae.

Old 06-30-2017, 08:19 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayden87 View Post
So according to the original poster they both work. And they had both worked a lot leading up to the date, so much so that they were both very tired.

I have never heard of anyone doing that in my life. Friday, Saturday obviously much different.

Loads of people. Especially when in one's twenties. And especially more so when people are working service sector jobs that may end around 7 or 8.

Old 06-30-2017, 08:19 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
She's not borrowing money from the bank and coming up short with a payment. She made plans to go out and, push came to shove, she simply wasn't feeling up to it. Are you telling me that you've never had second thoughts about your plans for an evening after a long, hard day at work?
Basically every single time I have social plans (not just dates). I'm fairly introverted, and almost always have to force myself to put one foot in front of the other to follow through, because it's exhausting most of the time. Actually, I've bowed out of an acquaintance's wedding this weekend for exactly this reason. I had intended to go, but I have a three week old infant at home and a three week old caesarean section that's healing, and the prospect is just too exhausting. But I did let her know that weeks ago. Because bailing at the last minute is super rude.

But, generally, no major extenuating circumstances (like abdominal surgery), if I've committed, I show. Because that's how to be socially appropriate, it's polite, and it's good manners. Will I stay out all night if I'm beat? No, unless I get out and get a second wind. I'll excuse myself after making a polite showing. If I'm cancelling, I do so well in advance and, you know, let the person know I'm cancelling, vs. wait for them to contact me and say, "So, you're coming, right?" And if I really DON'T wanna go, I don't make plans to go in the first place (which is what I strongly suspect happened here...she likely agreed halfheartedly to a date she didn't have any real intention of following through on. Whoever said that the disinterested "What time were we meeting again?" was a big clue that she really wasn't into getting together was spot on.

Bailing at the last minute is really just bad manners.

Old 06-30-2017, 08:21 AM

6,452 posts, read 9,814,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
I'm likely older than you and have been successful in both dating and in my marriage. Are you? And I'll be the first to tell you that terms such as "putting up with BS" is a sign of a really rigid person. To be sure, there are lines to draw in the sand. But someone deciding that she wasn't feeling up to a date after a day at work isn't one of them.

I mean, "I'm tired and don't feel like driving" isn't exactly subtle. Well, it isn't to anyone with decent social antennae.

I'm 50 and very happy in a relationship but thanks for your concern for my well being haha

Why do you choose to ignore that she should be an adult and say what she means?

After she said she was too tired to drive she agreed to let him drive. You forget that part, that takes anything "obvious" out of the equation.

Maybe people with decent social skills pick up on things that people with antennae don't (is that like gaydar?)?

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayden87 View Post

My first date with my now husband was on a Wednesday night. I worked late, and met him right after work. Follwing that date, we also went out on Thursday. And Friday.

4,828 posts, read 4,284,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Agreed. I made a similar thread years ago when a guy pulled similar crap (made plans, then poof, nowhere to be heard from night of until I texted him asking what was up), posted about it, and everyone agreed that it was a brushoff.

Bowing out at the 11th hour is poor etiquette. And not even CONTACTING the person to let them know you're bowing out is even poorer. If you want to cancel, cancel earlier. It's really disrespectful of others' time.

We all have our bad moments. He probably told her off, because he was interested in getting to know her and she clearly wasn't. He gave his hopes up from the beginning. While she was giving out bread crumbs the OP thought he was getting a full meal. They're both at fault here.

Deep down, I think even if he would have done things right, he likely would have gotten a date, but it would have taken weeks to finalize. How she responded to things makes me think that she would extend as much rope as she could in hopes that he'd hang himself with it. When someone is teeter tottering with meeting someone, they don't rush into it, they set the other person up to ultimately give them a way out. What's the best way to do that? Extend the meet out indefinitely and then continue somewhat flaky behavior, until the other person says something offensive, which then gives you an out to not commit definitely.

I just think this is a case of one person being interested more than the other and the person not interested wanting a way out, definitely.

Old 06-30-2017, 08:23 AM

437 posts, read 336,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Loads of people. Especially when in one's twenties. And especially more so when people are working service sector jobs that may end around 7 or 8.
Not really. For a first date, with someone u have never met. Not common at all, at least in my world. And I am in my twenties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships