Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 03:36 PM

971 posts, read 691,411 times

Advertisements

I like affectionate people and I could never understand a couple who slept in different rooms or separate beds in the same room, except when they have sex. I sleep much better with someone beside me and even better yet when I am curled up behind someone or she is curled up with me. I will just chalk this one up to one of those things I don't understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2017, 01:36 AM

1,713 posts, read 1,110,764 times
How do people deal with different heat tolerances? The cold doesn't bother me one bit and I can't be in an artificially heated space without feeling like I'm having an out of body experience. Do electric blankets have separate controls for each side? Never having used one, I wouldn't know.

Old 07-23-2017, 11:02 AM

37 posts, read 21,913 times
Sleeping apart would not be an option for me. I would try to find a way to make it work so both can sleep in the same bed.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:03 AM

1,433 posts, read 1,066,074 times
Different strokes and all but I have no problem if a husband & wife wanted to sleep in separate beds.....in fact I understand it now a lot better after years of marriage whether it be a snoring issue, alarm clock/work hours differences or just plain overall freedom in bed to move around without annoying the other and, ok I'll say it, even pass gas as free as you like.

It's actually becoming a common thing in new construction so it can't be that frowned upon:

https://mccolloughhomes.com/trend-wa...ster-bedrooms/

http://www.startribune.com/suite-ide...oms/299360941/

Adds a new option for marital relations: "your place or mine" LOL.

Old 07-24-2017, 03:48 PM

1,440 posts, read 4,423,105 times
The last wife and I gave up on a single bed/bedroom setup early on. We had different sleep types, different heat/cool styles. She was a snuggler which is about the last thing I am. I sleep late, she's up early. She liked light, I could paint the windows black. Then there were the little dogs, real cuddlers. I never minded them on the bed but she took great offense at waking up with poochies rear bits next to her face. Not a good thing for me either but they always seemed to face her direction.

Old 07-25-2017, 06:27 PM

17,561 posts, read 39,217,632 times
As was previously mentione, whatever works for the couple is fine and "normal." I know plenty of people who choose separate beds or bedrooms; whether it is because of light sleeping, snoring, different schedules, ailments, disabilities, etc. I think this is a lot better for a marriage than having a cranky spouse who could not get any sleep for whatever reason!

Old 07-25-2017, 06:40 PM

1,123 posts, read 890,185 times
A friend of mine and her husband have slept in separate bedrooms since they married.....both sleep on opposite sides of the house. Married 20 years..I do not see a happy marriage . I find that sad. Yes..he snores and she got the huge Master bedroom with walkin closet and double sink bathroom. He gets to sleep in the guest bedroom. No thank you.

Mae

Old 07-29-2017, 05:58 AM

818 posts, read 457,853 times
Not saying for other couples but l hit the couch in the last 6mths of my marriage and alas , 6mths later ! Admittedly though we'd already been having a rough time well before.
l know it was a last straw thing but she was just wriggling and steeling covers and making noises , 18yrs of it and l just needed a break.
The problem really started though when l discovered l loved sleeping on the couch, watching movies all night and eating lots of crap in bed , or in couch.
l'm ashamed to say but tbh, l really did not wanna go back to sharing a bed after that.

Old 07-29-2017, 07:26 AM

11,402 posts, read 24,493,663 times
We both have our own rooms and bathrooms. We both have trouble sleeping for different reasons. We each have furnishing styles and possessions we prefer. He likes his room freezing cold. I get up early. He stays in bed till late. He likes to watch the tv, I prefer quiet.

It doesn't make us sad or less married. Every couple has their own normal.

Old 07-29-2017, 03:00 PM

2,504 posts, read 1,881,576 times
My late husband and I didn't sleep in the same room for the last ten years of his life. His snoring would wake the dead. When I'd finally get to sleep, *I'd* start snoring and he'd wake up, poke me and say "WAKE UP, YOU'RE SNORING!" and then roll over and go back to sleep.....and snore some more. Rinse and repeat.

Finally, I moved into the farthest bedroom away from him and was able to get some sleep. It worked for us. There were plenty of opportunities for "fun and games", but sleep....ah, sleep....is priceless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships