Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 10:02 AM

588 posts, read 462,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftSleepyKitten View Post
Do you think in the long term it can work?
This isn't my relationship but someone who is important to me.

Every person is different but with this particular person:
They are smart (sorry to stereotype) and their partner can bask in that brightness however many things capture their interest and consume them for long periods at a time to the detriment and neglect of all other things like their partner. Life has to be predictable and they need time alone. Most social occasions are a no-no. When you add to that, that they desire time alone I think this becomes difficult for the partner. And knowing how they truly feel is tough. They can be so emotional at times but it comes more from imitation (i.e. what is seen on TV, movies) if you see what I mean.

Anyway if you are on the spectrum or have a partner who is, are romantic relationships difficult for you?
I just quit a 6 month relationship with a man that was diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome at sometime in his adult life.

These were the reasons:

1. Except for the first two-three months he was insistent that he was to initiate all kissing, hugging, sex, etc. I found myself asking for permission to kiss him and these were grandma like kisses....nothing sensual about them

2. I was love bombed for the first two months. I was perfect in his eyes. I can only think that when I showed signs of falling for him he felt he did not have to do that anymore and all tactile responses were verboten

3. I was not allowed to give him a chaste kiss in public. He had a melt down when I chastely kissed his shoulder in a darkened theatre

4. I was not allowed to talk AT ALL during movies, TV, sports, talk shows etc. Not allowed to make any comment

5. He would get onto a subject and just keep going with no end in sight. I had to just sit and listen.

6. He had an amazing book, CD, glass sculpture collection. Clothes were never thrown away.

7. He had a real problem with authority figures i.e. police, red lights, stop signs etc.

8. I cooked a lot for him and his favorite was pork of any kind. I think he would have eaten pork all the time if I had not cooked other dishes

9. He had to be alone ALOT

10. He told me I texted him too much, and that he had to get used to so much communication. He said he could go days without anyone contacting him.

11. He told me that he needed to have the rugs at his house cleaned because of his dog's accidents, however, he would not because he did not want the furniture moved

12. He was angry with someone or something always. Never was there a time that all was right with the world

13. He had no friends

14. He suffered from depression and drug addiction

15. He was a multi millionaire retired doctor

16. He could be fun and playful at times if his strict routines were not messed with in anyway

17. All of this came in bits and pieces. He told me he had a little problem with communication at first
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships