Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 03:30 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,725,991 times

Advertisements

Your status is not as important as the "why" and "how" of said status.

In other words, how did you get to where you are, OP?

Saying girls just run away from you doesn't tell us anything. Some introspection is in order.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2017, 11:08 PM

11,030 posts, read 5,993,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
Your status is not as important as the "why" and "how" of said status.

In other words, how did you get to where you are, OP?

Saying girls just run away from you doesn't tell us anything. Some introspection is in order.
Have to agree (couldn't rep you again).

OP, look, I wasn't very successful with girls when I was young. I did improve as my social clumsiness abated some.

So you are reading their body language when you say girls just run away from you. What body language are you giving them? Are you sure you read body language correctly? (I could read body language correctly, I just didn't believe it and screwed up all the time).

Old 12-12-2017, 11:56 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,351,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This sounds awfully familiar, but I can't quite place it....

And btw, it's not that unusual to have not had a gf by 22. It may happen for you in the next few years, but first, you'd have to figure out what's turning women off to you, if, in fact, that is not a figment of your imagination.

What's your strategy to meet women? Do you make any effort? Join groups, co-ed sports teams, activities of any kind?
As far as I can gather, he does nothing to put himself in a position to meet women. He minds his own business in public, ignoring everyone including potential women of interest. I really think it is a figment of his imagination, that he thinks women is turned off, because women aren't approaching him to date.

We have seen the mindset here before: "If they're not approaching me and asking me out for a date, they're not interested in me".

Old 12-13-2017, 06:43 AM

11,396 posts, read 24,462,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
As far as I can gather, he does nothing to put himself in a position to meet women. He minds his own business in public, ignoring everyone including potential women of interest. I really think it is a figment of his imagination, that he thinks women is turned off, because women aren't approaching him to date.

We have seen the mindset here before: "If they're not approaching me and asking me out for a date, they're not interested in me".
True. You have to be somewhat friendly and outgoing to bring people closer. Going through life with your eyes focused on the sidewalk, your hands in your pockets, and a tight lipped grimace will certainly deter new relationships.

So yeah, there’s something wrong if you haven’t dated a little by the time you’re 22. It’s up to the OP to make more effort.

Get advice from someone who knows you well.

Old 12-13-2017, 06:55 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,926,748 times
Don't fret OP, I'm in my 30s and never had a real girlfriend before. Been on quite a few dates that never went anywhere. Had a bunch of drunken flings with people I met at dive bars that now shudder to think about. I don't think the dating game is for me and I honestly do not miss it.

There is nothing wrong with you. The media and hollywood brainwash men to think like they all should be like the guys on Mad Men, which in real life would be the top 1% of men.

You can't force these things to happen. If you're looking for a girlfriend to fill some void in your soul, that is a recipe for disaster.

Old 12-13-2017, 08:07 AM

242 posts, read 262,971 times
It is not that bad...I had my first real boyfriend when I was almost 27 *embarrassed*. We were together for a few years. Before that I had many adventures and I had much fun! Sometimes the right person doesn't come along until later in life.

Old 12-13-2017, 08:29 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,110,560 times
Its not bad... 20s is very young. You have your whole life ahead of you.

My cousin was a bit at loss on what to do with himself when he graduated from HS. To be fair, he is from a broken family and really has no one to support/guide him. So he took what he had saved. Sold a bunch of his stuff. Repaired his father's beat up Harley. Got his motorcycle license. Pointed that bike west and took off. He worked menial jobs along the way (mostly bar and restaurants) just enough to pay the way to the next stop.

He has done and seen stuff that most of us will not experience in a lifetime. It builds character. Lots to talk about. Lots of experience. He found himself. That was more than 5 years ago. He too never had a girlfriend.... his love was the thousands of miles of US highway and towns. He is a very different person now.... independent and full of interesting character and experiences; all of which contribute to how attractive he is inside as a person.

Recently, he has been staying at his present location for a several months now. It seems that he found a love interest and spending some time with her to figure things out. Don't think they would have hit it off if it were not for his decision to enjoy life for himself first.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that this is a good time to build and focus on yourself. The relationship/GF will come in due time.

Old 12-13-2017, 10:49 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:

OP, if this is true, you need to do something about it. The Universe isn't going to hand you a partner. You need to get out there, and circulate, meet people. If you have hangups about that, like a lack of confidence, get counseling first; it will be an investment in your future. Nobody can solve this issue for you, but you. The ball is in your court. In order to play the game, you need to actually pick up the ball. The ball is not going to throw itself at you, or roll toward you of its own accord.

Old 12-13-2017, 11:51 AM

11,798 posts, read 12,040,540 times
Quote:

So true. And while it's not a big deal at 22, if he keeps doing exactly what he's been doing, is he going to wake up at 30 or 40 wondering what happened and where his life went?

Rather than wonder if it's a big deal, the focus needs to be on what to do differently to achieve the outcome you want.

Old 12-13-2017, 12:00 PM

50,379 posts, read 64,021,617 times
My grandsons are 22 and 18. Neither of them has had a serious girlfriend either, but they have always had lots of girls who were friends. They did things in groups. Both are studious, so I’m glad it’s that way. The oldest just graduated and got a very well paying job, so I feel like the women will start pursuing him more. Everything in good time.

Don’t worry about it, OP. Just go about your life, being the best, most well rounded person you can be. When a nice girl comes along you’ll have more to bring to the relationship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships