Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 05:44 AM

4 posts, read 2,607 times

Advertisements

By way of background:

I'm a married guy...for almost 25 yrs now. Back in 2004, on a short business trip to Korea, I ended up at a group dinner chatting with a cute young colleague from the local office the entire evening. She made me feel very welcome (considering it was my first visit to the country). After that meeting, we stayed in touch via company IM and e-mail for about a year...mostly her asking me about career advice. We lost touch after that.

Fast-forward to 2015, her name pops up on LinkedIn ("people you may know") and I send her an invite, reminding her of how we met. She accepts, replies back that she does remember me, but we don't communicate after that.

Now...2018...my business travels bring me back to Korea. On a lark, I get in touch with her ahead of my trip, asking if she would like to meet for coffee while I'm there, "just to say hello after all these years". I gave her an out--stating that she need not feel obliged to meet, considering this could be awkward. To my surprise, she responds in the affirmative, and suggests lunch.

Well, we had lunch yesterday. It was great! Between lunch and coffee afterward (her suggestion), we ended up chatting for 3 hrs! More than anything...I felt an emotional intimacy I have not felt in years. She asked a lot about my daughter, how I was raising her, my faith, what makes me happy in life, etc. and shared a lot about herself. Considering we hadn't met in 13 yrs, it was a really deep conversation. She did mention she's had a boyfriend for the past 5-6 yrs but didn't really say much else about him. We parted with a long hug (initiated by her).

Afterward, I send her a "thank you" text...to which she responds saying it was fun talking to me, that it felt very comfortable as if we were old friends, and that she hopes I visit Seoul again. Couple more back & forth texts and she ends with suggesting lunch the next time I'm in the country.

Besides the guilt I'm feeling over the fact that I haven't felt these kind of goosebumps with my own spouse in ages, do you guys see anything harmful in this? Is there anything wrong in this friendship continuing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 06:20 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,396,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilanidude View Post
By way of background:

I'm a married guy...for almost 25 yrs now. Back in 2004, on a short business trip to Korea, I ended up at a group dinner chatting with a cute young colleague from the local office the entire evening. She made me feel very welcome (considering it was my first visit to the country). After that meeting, we stayed in touch via company IM and e-mail for about a year...mostly her asking me about career advice. We lost touch after that.

Fast-forward to 2015, her name pops up on LinkedIn ("people you may know") and I send her an invite, reminding her of how we met. She accepts, replies back that she does remember me, but we don't communicate after that.

Now...2018...my business travels bring me back to Korea. On a lark, I get in touch with her ahead of my trip, asking if she would like to meet for coffee while I'm there, "just to say hello after all these years". I gave her an out--stating that she need not feel obliged to meet, considering this could be awkward. To my surprise, she responds in the affirmative, and suggests lunch.

Well, we had lunch yesterday. It was great! Between lunch and coffee afterward (her suggestion), we ended up chatting for 3 hrs! More than anything...I felt an emotional intimacy I have not felt in years. She asked a lot about my daughter, how I was raising her, my faith, what makes me happy in life, etc. and shared a lot about herself. Considering we hadn't met in 13 yrs, it was a really deep conversation. She did mention she's had a boyfriend for the past 5-6 yrs but didn't really say much else about him. We parted with a long hug (initiated by her).

Afterward, I send her a "thank you" text...to which she responds saying it was fun talking to me, that it felt very comfortable as if we were old friends, and that she hopes I visit Seoul again. Couple more back & forth texts and she ends with suggesting lunch the next time I'm in the country.

Besides the guilt I'm feeling over the fact that I haven't felt these kind of goosebumps with my own spouse in ages, do you guys see anything harmful in this? Is there anything wrong in this friendship continuing?
I do think it's wrong to continue this friendship because of the two statements I bolded in your post. This friendship would be providing the intimacy you're missing with your wife, and that's when it crosses into dangerous territory.

I don't think you've done anything to feel guilty about thus far. I don't think you've done anything wrong thus far. But by simply asking this question, you do realize that you're flirting with crossing that line.

Instead of putting your efforts into this friendship, put effort toward rebuilding the intimacy in your marriage. You could start by simply saying to your wife "I miss when we used to go on dates" and then go on a date with your wife.

Old 02-01-2018, 06:30 AM

3,262 posts, read 5,003,187 times
I have been in a situation like this, and your story sounds really familiar to me. So I'll cut to the bottom line and say, yes, this is an emotional affair; yes, I see something harmful in it; yes, I see something wrong with this friendship continuing. If it goes any further, it's going to result in pain for someone.

You are pursuing this young woman -- you invited her to your LinkedIn page, you emailed her "on a lark" when you were going back to Korea -- and you need to stop if you value your marriage. If you don't, well ... that's another story.

But assuming you do want your marriage to succeed, I strongly suggest you cease any further communication -- of any kind -- with the woman in Korea. Turn your attention back to your wife. What was it about her that caused you to fall in love with her in the first place? Focus on that, and try to forget the other woman.

Old 02-01-2018, 06:38 AM

4 posts, read 2,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
I have been in a situation like this, and your story sounds really familiar to me. So I'll cut to the bottom line and say, yes, this is an emotional affair; yes, I see something harmful in it; yes, I see something wrong with this friendship continuing. If it goes any further, it's going to result in pain for someone.

You are pursuing this young woman -- you invited her to your LinkedIn page, you emailed her "on a lark" when you were going back to Korea -- and you need to stop if you value your marriage. If you don't, well ... that's another story.

But assuming you do want your marriage to succeed, I strongly suggest you cease any further communication -- of any kind -- with the woman in Korea. Turn your attention back to your wife. What was it about her that caused you to fall in love with her in the first place? Focus on that, and try to forget the other woman.
Thanks for sharing your personal perspective here. Definite food for thought. Whether my actions were due to a "25 year itch" or something deeper...gotta think about.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:11 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,580,323 times
You know it is, on your part. (She asked about your family; you asked nothing about her boyfriend.) What you do about it is up to you, but it is doubtful that proceeding down this path will lead to anything positive.

Get real. An older guy getting the hots for an attractive young woman is NOT emotional intimacy, and it's not "special" in that it's common. Putting more effort into reviving your marriage is likely to bring you more happiness than pursuing this young woman who told you she has a boyfriend, hint hint. Fantasies are just that.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:37 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
I think it is strange you even cared to send a Linkedin invite to someone you met once 11 years before. Did you ever do that with anyone else? Seems the "cuteness" was a motivating factor in this reconnection, and the meet up three years later.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:42 AM

1,299 posts, read 823,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilanidude View Post
Well, we had lunch yesterday. It was great! Between lunch and coffee afterward (her suggestion), we ended up chatting for 3 hrs! More than anything...I felt an emotional intimacy I have not felt in years.
Whoop! Whoop! Warning siren going off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
So I'll cut to the bottom line and say, yes, this is an emotional affair; yes, I see something harmful in it; yes, I see something wrong with this friendship continuing. If it goes any further, it's going to result in pain for someone.
Yeppers.

How would your spouse feel if you sent her this thread? There's your answer as to your behaviour's appropriateness. I agree with the other posters, if you haven't felt this sort of tingle in your marriage in a while, work on getting that back. You are 50% of that relationship - take responsibility for your part.

I've also been with my husband for over 25 years, I'd be devastated if I found out he was doing/feeling this with a co-worker.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:55 AM

45 posts, read 57,450 times
The fact that there is a feeling of guilt says alot, yet there is a difference between what goes on in the head and what actually happens. This may not be popular, but you can fantasize all you want, at the end of the day, where do you put your energy?

I am not a big fan of married people not having friends of the opposite sex. I have lost some really good friends that way.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:57 AM

1,748 posts, read 1,296,640 times
Yes. Stop while you still have one foot out, it only takes a small step to the path of ruining your marriage.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:58 AM

336 posts, read 195,423 times
No, it isnt emotional affair or cheating, to meet an old friend. However, if you continue meeting with her and your feelings continue building, you are putting that at risk. Tell your spouse about meeting and old friend for lunch and talking. Dont listen to posters here who think you have cheated, its nonsense
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships