Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2018, 02:23 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
I hate how I look in pictures..but in videos I look decent. I don't know what ones closer to the truth lol
there are soooooooooo many things you can do easily nowadays with cellphones to spice up your pics.

Take a selfie from a specific angle, play around with editing, change the colors to black and white, ....Put a hat on and move it around and find a good angle. Act like you are trying on new clothes and playfully hide half of your face while holding a sweater up. Hold a cat in front of you, so your face only partially shows ...

Soooooo many options ...

Just please no bathroom background pics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 04:59 PM

5,324 posts, read 6,102,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
I feel the same way about myself regarding pictures vs videos.

To the OLD veterans here, would it be weird to post a video or two, rather than pictures? Or in addition? I don't mean one looking into the camera, but a more naturalistic one while you're out and about.
Yeah it's annoying lol..I look hideous in most pics and in videos I look pretty decent..just trying to figure out which is the one I really look like

Old 03-01-2018, 05:26 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Yeah it's annoying lol..I look hideous in most pics and in videos I look pretty decent..just trying to figure out which is the one I really look like

Do a freaking screen shot then, or have a photo minded friend take them. This is simple.

Old 03-01-2018, 07:01 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,500,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
All sites are, so what?

It doesn't. You don't need plastic surgery. Work out daily (you should be anyway), eat healthy, don't dress like a *******, and live a full life. It's enough. Most people don't do these things so its easy to get ahead.
Why should OP then limit himself to such a small sliver of women who actually use OD sites then? What does that get him? Where he's banging his head against the wall now, eh? Makes sense!

Granted, I do way better in person because I can control who I give the time of day to then, but I can only dive so deep in any case.

Quote:
Hard to get women's attention when she's getting tons and tons of attention.
Doesn't matter if women in general freeze over the attention and suddenly forget that they choose who to get into relationships with. Hmmm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Onn View Post
Advice from a woman, on top of some of the profile adjustments people have suggested, such as activity photos where you look happy to be what you're doing.

First, be patient. Nothing is going to happen overnight. Don't declare OLD a failure after being at it a week or two.

Second, when you write women, individualize it. Speak to what you like about their profile, preferably her interests and hobbies, not about her looks. Point out what you might have in common, ask questions about her favorite (restaurant, museum, ski resort, whatever your shared interest is). That means you have to spend a little time reading profiles. Wading through the cliché minefield can be tedious, I get it, but it is worthwhile IF you are looking for a woman to build a relationship with.

Third, work OLD during "prime time". I found that to be roughly 8-10pm. Sort your search by last online and focus on sending messages to women who are online when you are.

But I'm a woman, so what do I know about what appeals to women doing OLD?
You hit a few points, but how personalized can a guy be when most women give very little personalization to their profiles and even if they do, there are dozens of guys with the same message? That's fifteen year-old advice that was old back then! Knowing what hooked you =/= what will work for the majority of guys who get chirping crickets in return.

Old 03-01-2018, 07:05 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,500,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDistinguishedGentleman View Post
Dressing well and being in shape are just tools to enhance one's image. Someone that does these things care a ton about what others think and in no way shows that they care about themselves.
LOL. I care about not being 25% body fat and I dress well because I enjoy it. Getting chased by an occasional honey barely more than half my age (still legal adults, deal with it) is just a bonus.

Legitimately, the next time I ask someone "What do you think about me?" might indeed be the first time. I've been racking my brains lately to dispel this to myself. Just saying.

Old 03-01-2018, 08:38 PM

818 posts, read 456,608 times
ln my opinion though online dating doesn't mean anything anyway you can't go on that.
lf you were getting out and around women in the real world l bet plenty of women like you right.

Take OLD with a grain of salt , it's not the real world and even 99% of the women just get burn out from it and absolutely nowhere in the end.
Just read any singles forum , it's everywhere.

lf things don't work out with my gf , l;m not sure what l'll do in that department because l don't get out that much in ways of meeting women anyway , but the thought of old really turns my stomach .

Old 03-01-2018, 11:49 PM

2,822 posts, read 1,929,349 times
If you really like the way you look in video better than still shot, can you pull up a video of yourself on your phone, pause it where you think you look the most flattering and take a screen shot?

Old 03-02-2018, 12:41 AM

777 posts, read 452,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post

You hit a few points, but how personalized can a guy be when most women give very little personalization to their profiles and even if they do, there are dozens of guys with the same message? That's fifteen year-old advice that was old back then! Knowing what hooked you =/= what will work for the majority of guys who get chirping crickets in return.
15 year old advice that was old back then? Funny since my foray into OLD only started a couple years ago.

In my experience, very few men attempt to really connect with what is written in a woman's profile. The ones that do, stand out. At least, they stand out to a woman looking for a relationship and not a hookup.

And I think the vast majority of women looking for a relationship put the work into her profile to give a man plenty to lead off with.

Women who don't give you anything to work with are probably not going to be worth the effort of contacting.

Old 03-02-2018, 01:42 AM

641 posts, read 405,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Well, you can change your profile. Make it engaging. Show who you are and what you like to do in an appealing way.

Or you can keep it the same and keep getting the same results.

This is 100% up to you. Full stop. It is up to you.

My BIL, who is pushing 60, and God bless him, is not an Adonis (though I think he's very pleasant-looking), gets date after date after date on OLD, and these are fun, great women. Financially independent, mostly divorced (like him), cute. He is funny; he is bright...but most of all he really talks TO women. He makes a woman feel he really likes women and more importantly, really likes her. He has a great attitude.
I don't know how old the OP is, or how old the women he messages are, but I think the playing field levels somewhat between men and women as they get older. Once men are 40+ it's easier to get dates with women their own age.

Vaguely attractive Women in their 20s get the attention of a rock star so you have to really stand out from the crowd.

Old 03-02-2018, 05:54 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
Why should OP then limit himself to such a small sliver of women who actually use OD sites then? What does that get him? Where he's banging his head against the wall now, eh? Makes sense!

Granted, I do way better in person because I can control who I give the time of day to then, but I can only dive so deep in any case. .

I don't believe anyone said they should limit themselves to online, did they?

And its not a small sliver of women that use them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzaa2 View Post
I don't know how old the OP is, or how old the women he messages are, but I think the playing field levels somewhat between men and women as they get older. Once men are 40+ it's easier to get dates with women their own age.

Vaguely attractive Women in their 20s get the attention of a rock star so you have to really stand out from the crowd.
I find it much harder in my mid 40s the find women with OLD my own age. Almost everyone that messages me is 32-38, so, at least 8 years younger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships