Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2018, 01:32 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I'm totally fine with passing a few words with strangers when we're "stuck" in the same place - say, standing in line somewhere. Then I'll be chatty and pass a cheerful word or two. I'l often be the "starter" in this scenario, I'll turn to the person standing right next to me to chat for a second.

Someone approaching by going out of his way, though...well, I'm married now but I can speak for having been a single person too. I pretty much KNEW there was some secondary motive. Either I was about to be asked out, or I was about to be asked for money. IMO, it is not cynical to assume that a total stranger who goes out of his way to leave what he had previously been doing and walk over to another stranger to talk, has a secondary reason.

Asking someone out isn't "bad" or anything, people do need to meet somehow, but it's pretty obvious a person crossing a Starbucks to talk to another person who has her head down has some very definite reason for doing so. Pushing beyond that IS NOT social, in fact it's antisocial as it disregards empathy - the person doesn't care how uncomfortable the woman feels (which is obvious), he's just going to keep pushing.
YES! And you have found the sweet spot of this thread. "Approaching" a stranger with intent to gain something is not cool and won't work. Natural, spontaneous conversation is more likely to lead to a pleasant interaction and maybe even a new friend if you discover shared interests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 01:33 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
YES! And you have found the sweet spot of this thread. "Approaching" a stranger with intent to gain something is not cool and won't work. Natural, spontaneous conversation is more likely to lead to a pleasant interaction and maybe even a new friend if you discover shared interests.
This all day.

Old 03-09-2018, 01:37 PM

5,324 posts, read 6,102,524 times
Quote:
I have enough female friends if I approach a wowen it's because I'm attracted to her..But obviously if she isn't responding well to the convo I'm not gonna continue..that's just stupid

Old 03-09-2018, 01:43 PM

I think you are completely misunderstanding. But if you believe that natural conversation (vs. "cold approach") only yields platonic friendships, perhaps you should get your imagination checked. It seems limited.

Old 03-09-2018, 01:44 PM

20,393 posts, read 14,667,898 times
Quote:
Yes. And it's that whole thing of the weirdness of the commonly used "approach" talk around here. I swear, every time, I imagine some dude acting all "Mission Impossible" with a little communications bud in his ear being talked through the process like he's defusing a bomb or something, I dunno...

"OK, now glance her way. Quickly. OK, very good. Now walk up, stand 38 inches away from her on the left side. Deploy your lines. Oh, are those...HEADPHONES? Abort! Abort!"

Red lights start flashing, an alarm is going off. The woman is just sitting there looking mildly confused, trying to listen to her podcast.

Old 03-09-2018, 01:46 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,230,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runninglikethieves View Post
It's pretty easy to cut a conversation short after you've had enough or if you just don't wanna talk to that person.

''Welp, I gotta run! Enjoy your day!''.
Unfortunately I have to rely on another customer to come and break up the conversation because I can't leave my area. I'm naturally polite and it invites overly lonely people to ramble on and on. Ugggh.

Old 03-09-2018, 01:47 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Yes. And it's that whole thing of the weirdness of the commonly used "approach" talk around here. I swear, every time, I imagine some dude acting all "Mission Impossible" with a little communications bud in his ear being talked through the process like he's defusing a bomb or something, I dunno...

"OK, now glance her way. Quickly. OK, very good. Now walk up, stand 38 inches away from her on the left side. Deploy your lines. Oh, are those...HEADPHONES? Abort! Abort!"

Red lights start flashing, an alarm is going off. The woman is just sitting there looking mildly confused, trying to listen to her podcast.

SNORT! I think I love you. LOL

Old 03-09-2018, 01:48 PM

5,324 posts, read 6,102,524 times
Quote:
I think you are completely misunderstanding. But if you believe that natural conversation (vs. "cold approach") only yields platonic friendships, perhaps you should get your imagination checked. It seems limited.
Why so nasty? Settle down

Old 03-09-2018, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
Why so nasty? Settle down
But do you take my point?

Old 03-09-2018, 02:00 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
There's that one dude that posts sometimes who insists that walking up cold to a woman and saying something like "Hello. I find you very attractive and would like to take you on a a date" is a totally normal thing to do that gets positive results. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships