Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 02:55 PM
RJ_

743 posts, read 392,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post

You have this special private bond with this person, it's all 1-on-1 like.
I thought that's what a friendship is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 03:02 PM

20,393 posts, read 14,661,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ_ View Post
That's what a friendship is...to you. And to some people.

Not to someone like me. Has to do with personality type. I'm highly extroverted, and I could say more, but it's beyond the scope of this conversation. I am most natural being lightly connected to many people, and only elevating very very few (like Mom and partner and my kids, for instance) to that 1-on-1 level of closeness. But a lot of those "light" connections, are people I do consider to be friends. Like...hundreds of them. But I'm going to parties almost every weekend, and various other events all over the place otherwise, so I'm doing more stuff with my social group than many people do with groups.

Old 06-27-2018, 03:06 PM

569 posts, read 440,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
That's what a friendship is...to you. And to some people.

Not to someone like me. Has to do with personality type. I'm highly extroverted, and I could say more, but it's beyond the scope of this conversation. I am most natural being lightly connected to many people, and only elevating very very few (like Mom and partner and my kids, for instance) to that 1-on-1 level of closeness. But a lot of those "light" connections, are people I do consider to be friends. Like...hundreds of them. But I'm going to parties almost every weekend, and various other events all over the place otherwise, so I'm doing more stuff with my social group than many people do with groups.
I am opposite and I tend to have closer/deeper relationships with fewer people. To each their own

Old 06-27-2018, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckeeesmom View Post
I am opposite and I tend to have closer/deeper relationships with fewer people. To each their own
Definitely. There are times I wish I were better at that.

Old 06-27-2018, 03:20 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times
OP, sounds like you are having an emotional affair with your fellow female workplace person.

Emotional affairs are cheating, dangerous to marriages, often deeply hurt one's spouse, are not recommended because it causes divided loyalties, and often leads to a physical relationship.

A good loyal marriage partner doesn't have emotional affairs with other women, or a very special woman.

Wise spouses steer clear of this. It is often very hurtful to one's spouse and jeopardizes one's marriage.

Emotional affairs at work or with a person from work often lead to the demise of the marriage(s). You're also not supposed to elevate another woman to the same emotional closeness and level of emotional intimacy that one has with one's spouse.

Old 06-27-2018, 03:27 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times
I would not cloud this issue of having an emotional affair at work with speaking about just general friendships between men and women.

This issue of an emotional affair does not share the same characteristics as a casual male-female friendship where there is no emotional affair.

Old 06-27-2018, 03:32 PM

569 posts, read 440,340 times
I get what you're saying but I think that a lot of people who get into emotional affairs start out as just opposite sex friends. While there are some people who actively look for affairs, others fall into them by becoming too close to another person and making bad choices when they get to that point.

I think having appropriate boundaries are what allow people to have a normal male/female friendship without it progressing into an emotional and/or physical affair. The characteristics that you refer to have the ability to shift when there are no boundaries and the chance is even higher when there are already cracks in the primary relationship.

Old 06-27-2018, 03:33 PM

888 posts, read 555,643 times
Nope, don't agree, at all. I have men friends, my husband has women friends. It's all good.

Old 06-27-2018, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckeeesmom View Post
I get what you're saying but I think that a lot of people who get into emotional affairs start out as just opposite sex friends. While there are some people who actively look for affairs, others fall into them by becoming too close to another person and making bad choices when they get to that point.

I think having appropriate boundaries are what allow people to have a normal male/female friendship without it progressing into an emotional and/or physical affair. The characteristics that you refer to have the ability to shift when there are no boundaries and the chance is even higher when there are already cracks in the primary relationship.
I think that is entirely valid and correct.

I also think, another aspect of the OP's situation is that I don't tend to get that close to coworkers. Like I would not even consider dating, sex, romance, with a coworker. I tend to keep that group of people very much compartmentalized away from the rest of my life. I feel that even if you form some kind of bond with a coworker that isn't an affair, there is a risk of drama, like what if you break up, and you don't want to see each other every day but now you HAVE to. It's just, to me, too much potential for issues. If you add to that, she is also married, and it's an extramarital affair in the works...wowee, now that is a bundle of drama I would NOT want at my place of employment. Nope!

Old 06-27-2018, 04:08 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ_ View Post
He says there is "chemistry" and they were "meant for eachother." I don't usually say that about my female best friend (I'm a female). I have never said those things about someone I wasn't into in a romantic way.

No, a friendship is not having a meant for one another bond and chemistry to the extent of wondering whether it's appropriate or whether it's "playing with fire" (another thing the OP said)...is that how you feel about your male friends?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships