Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 07:10 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,385,679 times

Advertisements

For discussion purposes, is it wrong for women to expect men to give them flowers, take them out on special occasions (birthday, V day, etc), buy them presents? And then get their feelings hurt if it doesn't happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2018, 07:15 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,723,158 times
Context.

Are these men their S/Os? Do these women expect "traditional" courtship? Are they reciprocating these gifts and gestures? How were these women raised?

Old 08-24-2018, 07:17 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Oh, no. Oh God.

Oh well, I'll play. I'm a woman and I love to *give* presents. I love to pick up little treats for my husband and kids when I'm out. As for holidays, we give and get about equally. Last VD I sent a bonsai to my husband's office and got him good chocolates. He got me pretty flowers in a color he knew I'd love, and chocolates.

I expect love and attention on special days but not a specific type of gift. I guess my love language is being acknowledged.

With that said I'll step back and watch the hysteria about how every single woman demands "perfume," chocolates, jewelry and lobster because we're entitled and hypocritical and so on. In T minus three...two...

Old 08-24-2018, 07:43 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,614,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
For discussion purposes, is it wrong for women to expect men to give them flowers, take them out on special occasions (birthday, V day, etc), buy them presents? And then get their feelings hurt if it doesn't happen?
I don’t see anything wrong with it.

Old 08-24-2018, 08:23 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
In a marriage or long term relationship, yes, the man is supposed to remember birthdays, give Christmas (or whatever winter holiday) presents, give some sort of notice to valentine's day and anniversery.

If you dont, gentlemen, your relationship is going to become rocky from neglect.

Old 08-24-2018, 08:34 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,827,714 times
Are you a 9 or10 Pointer?

Old 08-24-2018, 08:36 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
By the way, men get their feelings hurt if their birthday isn't remembered and they hope to receive holiday presents.

Old 08-24-2018, 08:37 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Oh, no. Oh God.

Oh well, I'll play. I'm a woman and I love to *give* presents. I love to pick up little treats for my husband and kids when I'm out. As for holidays, we give and get about equally. Last VD I sent a bonsai to my husband's office and got him good chocolates. He got me pretty flowers in a color he knew I'd love, and chocolates.

I expect love and attention on special days but not a specific type of gift. I guess my love language is being acknowledged.

With that said I'll step back and watch the hysteria about how every single woman demands "perfume," chocolates, jewelry and lobster because we're entitled and hypocritical and so on. In T minus three...two...
This! I like to surprise anyone--good friends, family members I'm close to, with little items I know they'd love, if I see something when I'm out and about. So yeah, it would be great to be with someone who was into that too, or could reciprocate in some way. I think that's what helps a bond grow. Do I expect jewelry, and expensive stuff? No. But for special occasions, it would be nice to surprise each other with something more special than the little tokens.

Old 08-24-2018, 10:55 PM

1,658 posts, read 1,257,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
IMO, if you're in a committed relationship, then giving and receiving presents for special occasions should be the norm and not something you have to ponder. It shows you remembered them and care about making an effort. The exception to this would be if your SO asked you NOT to get them anything, but otherwise, yes, many people do appreciate the gesture.

It doesn't have to be an expensive gift. A little card that says "Happy Birthday" or "I Love You" can mean the world to someone, and it shows that they were worth the time and effort to do so.

Sometimes, it's the little things that matter the most in a relationship.

Old 08-24-2018, 11:08 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,454,139 times
It’s not “wrong” in the context of it being a tradition they know and cherish and it being known to all who they surround themselves with.
To those type of people it is the norm and many concessions and considerations they give themselves in a relationship are built around those type of interactions.

Many people are this way due to the traditions they have grown up with and how those traditions play in to their known values. It’s impossible to take the emotion out of these things when they do not feel reciprocal. Even if they understand another may not be the same as they are and hold those same traditions to heart, the personal ties are still present to those values they hold.

Last edited by rego00123; 08-24-2018 at 11:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships