Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 03:18 PM

1,593 posts, read 776,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Coffee isn't necessarily the problem. Plenty of people have first meets over coffee. In the OP's case he's talking about women who live over 70 miles away. I wouldn't drive an hour or so just for coffee with a stranger.

Well, in the farther one's case, I was going to be in her city anyways that day on other business. (And it's a proper city, not like the little towns or small cities that make up most of my near-bys). She'd started texting me the week before, I thought it was opportune.

In the case of the woman in my OP, you'd have to understand our area. We're both in very small towns. I wouldn't mind driving over to meet her; I wouldn't mind driving to meet her at the small city (pop 100,000) in our area that a lot of people like us go to for entertainment (in fact, that's where I met her this second time). If any of this develops I think it would be fair to take on a "I'll meet you there this weekend, you come over here next weekend" kind of thing. Medium-distance relationships are fairly common around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2018, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post

***sigh***

Are those moves going to keep you in the area so that this isn't an exercise in frustration?

They could. I could even stay where I'm at now. Depends on circumstances.

The primary reason I want to move is to get closer to somewhere I can develop a social life out of my interests and hobbies, and that includes a romantic life. But it doesn't mean that I'm locked into doing so if something were to develop where I'm at now, and it doesn't mean that I'm closing myself off to local opportunities like this in the meantime.

If nothing else, if I was to date her, it would be good to get some experience at the whole thing.

Quote:
OK ... so ... then your choice is to either be patient and cultivate an online "relationship," through subtle but steady FB interaction, or take a huge risk and just ask out this person you've met twice, in a DM, by saying something like, "I enjoyed talking to you at _____ event and was hoping you would want to have dinner sometime at ____ restaurant (in or near her city)."

There's no easy answer here.
No, no easy answer. And in this case, if I were to take the dive and be direct, I wouldn't be worried about the rejection as much as I would about looking sleazy and disrespectful to our mutual friends.

Edit: For what it's worth, I've also tried the direct route with another woman earlier this year...didn't work either.

Old 10-21-2018, 03:30 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At Arms Length View Post
... looking sleazy and disrespectful to our mutual friends.
Well, that would only happen if you posted the invitation directly on her wall, which would be a terrible idea.

That's why I said DM. It's the only way to do something like this.

But don't do it yet. Don't get bored and impatient tonight and do it. At least like one or two of her photos first LOL

Old 10-21-2018, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Stop asking women for "coffee", and ask them on a real DATE.
I was advised by one of our mutual friends to try to get to know her better first. He said that she gets asked on dates all the time, sometimes it makes her uncomfortable.

Old 10-21-2018, 03:47 PM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
I was advised by one of our mutual friends to try to get to know her better first. He said that she gets asked on dates all the time, sometimes it makes her uncomfortable.
Maybe she's TOO good looking? Is she a bit conceited?

Old 10-21-2018, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Maybe she's TOO good looking? Is she a bit conceited?
Conceited? I don't know her well enough to say. Too good looking? Definite possibility (there's an oxymoron for you). She's the second-prettiest girl I've ever tried to ask out. I actually first met her several years ago, and wrote myself right out of her league then. After another get-together in the last year one of our friends seemed to drop a hint that she might be interested. That's when I started the slow approach on Facebook, but even then I honestly wouldn't have asked her to coffee if she hadn't increased the intensity of the chats and given me her number. Those seemed like pretty good signals to me; guess not.

Old 10-21-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Conceited? I don't know her well enough to say. Too good looking? Definite possibility (there's an oxymoron for you). She's the second-prettiest girl I've ever tried to ask out. I actually first met her several years ago, and wrote myself right out of her league then. After another get-together in the last year one of our friends seemed to drop a hint that she might be interested. That's when I started the slow approach on Facebook, but even then I honestly wouldn't have asked her to coffee if she hadn't increased the intensity of the chats and given me her number. Those seemed like pretty good signals to me; guess not.
Are you talking about the coffee date woman again??

Not sure, but I think pilot was referring to this new woman.

Old 10-21-2018, 04:05 PM

Quote:

Yeah, coffee date woman. I don't think he was, that's why he mentioned coffee specifically.

The only reason I brought her into this thread is...I've tried the slow way, but it didn't work. But I've also tried the direct way, earlier this year with another woman (edit: actually two other women), and it didn't work either.

Old 10-21-2018, 04:10 PM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:

I'm confused also. My point was that maybe she's too popular, and doesn't really want more attention because of her looks. I'm not saying he shouldn't ask out good looking women, but sometimes their looks can be a double edged sword, and sometimes it isn't. It all depends on the individual, and that is why it is nice to get to know someone a bit prior to dating, but that isn't always possible.

Old 10-21-2018, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Yeah, coffee date woman. I don't think he was, that's why he mentioned coffee specifically.
He only referred to coffee in terms of dating, not her specifically. Hopefully he will return and clarify.

Quote:
The only reason I brought her into this thread is...I've tried the slow way, but it didn't work. But I've also tried the direct way, earlier this year with another woman (edit: actually two other women), and it didn't work either.
The thing is ... Trying "the slow way" once doesn't mean it will never work with anyone. And vice versa.

You have to view each person individually and just do your best to read a situation and do what you think works accordingly.

People are unique, and they will respond accordingly. You can't just shoot darts at a board and hope for the best. You have to know yourself, be confident, and use your best judgment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships