Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 10:37 AM

19 posts, read 6,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BangBangShrimp View Post
He might be more than just cute. I’m just not sure yet. The only things that I’m sure about is that he’s cute and poor.

If I were materialistic then the conversation would’ve been over as soon as he told me that he was poor. I am not materialistic and I’m not trying to force him into any kind of job. I don’t have the power to do that anyway.

I don't think you are materialistic. Your need to have a man who can pull his weight is not unrealistic or arrogant. It's practical.

Again, it comes down to this: do you think he has the drive and talent to make it as an actor. Are you willing to support this fully, even when things are not looking so great?

It does not seem, from what I've read so far, that will be the case.

If so, tell him you want FWB or move on.

Easier said than done, I know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2019, 10:43 AM

279 posts, read 593,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAnonymous View Post
I don't think you are materialistic. Your need to have a man who can pull his weight is not unrealistic or arrogant. It's practical.
Thank you.

Quote:
Again, it comes down to this: do you think he has the drive and talent to make it as an actor. Are you willing to support this fully, even when things are not looking so great?

It does not seem, from what I've read so far, that will be the case.

If so, tell him you want FWB or move on.

Easier said than done, I know.
I don’t want to be his FWB. I really meant friend. I want to see if there’s anything there beyond me thinking that he’s attractive. I barely know him at this point.

Old 01-22-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Thank you.

I don’t want to be his FWB. I really meant friend. I want to see if there’s anything there beyond me thinking that he’s attractive. I barely know him at this point.
Yeah...

Would you agree with me that, deep down inside, no dude wants a girl he's interested in as a friend? As a dude, I can tell you that's the truth with 100% certainty.

In other words, you will only be misleading him, and wasting both your time.

On the flip side, I'm sure you'll feel good though in the process of stringing him along?

In the end, though, you waste your most precious asset. Time.

Old 01-22-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAnonymous View Post
Yeah...

Would you agree with me that, deep down inside, no dude wants a girl he's interested in as a friend? As a dude, I can tell you that's the truth with 100% certainty.

In other words, you will only be misleading him, and wasting both your time.

I'm sure you'll feel good though in the process.
I don’t see why he wouldn’t want to get to know me as a friend. All he knows at this point is that I’m cute and not poor. He wouldn’t have to spend money on dates if we were just friends.

Old 01-22-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
I don’t see why he wouldn’t want to get to know me as a friend. All he knows at this point is that I’m cute and not poor. He wouldn’t have to spend money on dates if we were just friends.
How old are you?

Old 01-22-2019, 11:09 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,156,539 times
No, don't waste his time. You need an economic climber, and he needs someone understanding of his lifestyle. This is why artistic types often end up married to other artistic types. There are mutual understandings there that will never exist between you and this guy.

Old 01-22-2019, 11:21 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,156,539 times
Quote:
LOL, yup. If I have to be the breadwinner, then I’m calling the shots here! So he just needs to shut up, look pretty, and make positive non-financial contributions to my life!
Gross. I know you're feeling defensive right now, and you're fighting back by doubling down on the obnoxiousness.

You just have to know that the reason why you're getting flak on this post is the attitude that is coming across in your words - not your preferences, which are perfectly reasonable - your attitude. It's your total derision of this poor guy. It's very unbecoming, and I think if you came back to this thread in a year or two and read your posts, you would cringe. (Truth be told, I would hate to revisit things I said online when I was your age).

Old 01-22-2019, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallouise View Post
Gross. I know you're feeling defensive right now, and you're fighting back by doubling down on the obnoxiousness.

You just have to know that the reason why you're getting flak on this post is the attitude that is coming across in your words - not your preferences, which are perfectly reasonable - your attitude. It's your total derision of this poor guy. It's very unbecoming, and I think if you came back to this thread in a year or two and read your posts, you would cringe. (Truth be told, I would hate to revisit things I said online when I was your age).
You think men don’t say crass things about women when they’re with their buddies? I have a sense of humor about all of this. Sorry if you don’t.

Old 01-22-2019, 11:49 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,370,179 times
If you two are in different places in life and he doesn't meet your criteria, move on. You're incompatible. I can admire his passion while recognizing it is likely unrealistic, especially if he doesn't reside in the L.A. and NYC area where aspiring actors and entertainers live and work. I have a cousin involved in the business (and her fiancee), and based on her experience and those of others, it's very hard to break into the industry at 30+. You have to know the right people and have the right connections. I mean, I have aspirations to become a screenwriter...someday, but I wouldn't bank on it as my primary profession at this stage of my life.

I'm a fan of the arts and creative paths, but if you have specific criteria and life goals that are important to you, it's best you stick to that to avoid issues later on and possibly resentment.

Old 01-22-2019, 12:03 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,866,286 times
Quote:
You think men don’t say crass things about women when they’re with their buddies? I have a sense of humor about all of this. Sorry if you don’t.
Right? What about housewives? What about administrative assistants dating a CEO? Is the guy then pulling the financial weight, because he doesn't think the woman is attractive? Is it a huge character flaw and cry to check ethics when men say, "yeah she doesn't make much money, but that ass tho?"
Do men get all kinds of crap because the woman isn't earning as much or staying home?

At least you find him very attractive. I've done the morally superior thing and gone out a second time with someone who was a great conversationalist and entertaining, but....I still wasn't attracted to him so it was never going to work.

You got your answers, now do what you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships