Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2020, 03:58 PM

73 posts, read 33,837 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone.

My boyfriend [24M] and I [23F] have been dating for a year. We met during our final semester of college in Boston. I then moved to California for a job and he stayed in MA. Long distance worked fine for us. We flew to visit each other once a month and always made the most of it.

Then, the pandemic hit. I had been visiting him the week before quarantine really started, and I decided to just stay with my family in my hometown in a nearby New England state. I thought this would just be for a week or to, but nope, it’s extended. I’ve been working from home (though had my hours cut).

At first we were super excited for this! Yay, we’re so close to each other now! Less than an hour drive and just a train ride away. Then, trains no longer became an option. He doesn’t have a car, so his only option to pick me up was to borrow his dads car. To get to his dads house, he has to take public transportation, which isn’t safe anymore.

I share a car with my brother, but I haven’t been on the insurance so my parents didn’t want me driving the car out of state/far. I also hate driving and just kept hoping...next week things will chill out and I can take the train...next week...next week...

Yesterday I finally just asked my parents to please put me on the insurance. They agreed, and it worked out. However, when I got on the highway today, the check engine light went off, car prompted me to pull over when safe, and turns out the engine is pretty much ****ed and there are no mechanics open nearby. It’s an old car.

Everything sucks. I can’t go to him. He can’t come to me. I’m already stressed enough about my future, so much uncertainty. My boyfriend is sweet as hell and isn’t getting angry about this, but I’m just so frustrated and I can’t keep trying to figure out how to see him and thus stressing myself out. Today was such a let down and I’m just sort of at my breaking point. I almost want to just end the relationship to eliminate the stress of having to find a way to see each other.

I didn’t see him for the entire month of April despite him being an hour away!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2020, 04:04 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,030,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonSchwarz View Post
Hi everyone.

My boyfriend [24M] and I [23F] have been dating for a year. We met during our final semester of college in Boston. I then moved to California for a job and he stayed in MA. Long distance worked fine for us. We flew to visit each other once a month and always made the most of it.

Then, the pandemic hit. I had been visiting him the week before quarantine really started, and I decided to just stay with my family in my hometown in a nearby New England state. I thought this would just be for a week or to, but nope, it’s extended. I’ve been working from home (though had my hours cut).

At first we were super excited for this! Yay, we’re so close to each other now! Less than an hour drive and just a train ride away. Then, trains no longer became an option. He doesn’t have a car, so his only option to pick me up was to borrow his dads car. To get to his dads house, he has to take public transportation, which isn’t safe anymore.

I share a car with my brother, but I haven’t been on the insurance so my parents didn’t want me driving the car out of state/far. I also hate driving and just kept hoping...next week things will chill out and I can take the train...next week...next week...

Yesterday I finally just asked my parents to please put me on the insurance. They agreed, and it worked out. However, when I got on the highway today, the check engine light went off, car prompted me to pull over when safe, and turns out the engine is pretty much ****ed and there are no mechanics open nearby. It’s an old car.

Everything sucks. I can’t go to him. He can’t come to me. I’m already stressed enough about my future, so much uncertainty. My boyfriend is sweet as hell and isn’t getting angry about this, but I’m just so frustrated and I can’t keep trying to figure out how to see him and thus stressing myself out. Today was such a let down and I’m just sort of at my breaking point. I almost want to just end the relationship to eliminate the stress of having to find a way to see each other.

I didn’t see him for the entire month of April despite him being an hour away!
That's a very tough day.

It sounds like your expectations messed you up. You had your hopes up, and you got let down. That's the only way this makes sense, knowing that you've gone longer than a month seeing him when you were in CA.

I recommend two options:

1) Unless you are going to move back home anytime soon, end it now so you both can live your lives fairly and without guilt and disappointment.

2) Continue as you have but don't expect to see him. That's the only way to avoid disappointment: Hope for the best, but expect the worst.

I'm saying this as someone in an LDR who hasn't seen my SO since January.

Old 05-03-2020, 05:49 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,645,764 times
Does your bf live alone? I'm asking because it may be easier to just stay with him since you're having drama at home.

If he lives alone and you can stay with him, is there absolutely no way to get you there?

Old 05-03-2020, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Does your bf live alone? I'm asking because it may be easier to just stay with him since you're having drama at home.

If he lives alone and you can stay with him, is there absolutely no way to get you there?
He has a roommate. When I stay with him, we’re pretty much just confined to one room, which kinda sucks.

Old 05-03-2020, 06:20 PM

1,257 posts, read 832,334 times
Quote:
Have you discussed long-term future plans at all?

Your frustration is understandable, especially after what sounds like a truly terrible day. I personally wouldn't end an otherwise positive relationship over logistical issues caused by this pandemic. This too will pass... And it's not an easy time to meet anyone else, either.

Old 05-03-2020, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffle View Post
Have you discussed long-term future plans at all?

Your frustration is understandable, especially after what sounds like a truly terrible day. I personally wouldn't end an otherwise positive relationship over logistical issues caused by this pandemic. This too will pass... And it's not an easy time to meet anyone else, either.
We’re very serious!

Old 05-03-2020, 09:13 PM

1,257 posts, read 832,334 times
Quote:
We’re very serious!
Under normal circumstances, you would be living across the country and seeing each other for one weekend each month. I was wondering if there were any plans (even vague hopes) to change that. If so, you have something to look forward to someday, so keep your spirits up in the meantime!

Is he working?

Old 05-03-2020, 09:17 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,645,764 times
Quote:
He has a roommate. When I stay with him, we’re pretty much just confined to one room, which kinda sucks.
It's disappointing and frustrating but it sucks for everyone. This isn't permanent and you just have to dig in and get through it.

Old 05-03-2020, 09:19 PM

11,398 posts, read 24,480,429 times
Look, you need to take deep breaths and calm down.

Except for the pandemic, everything is better than it was. You’re close enough to see one another without the huge expense of flying. The details are frustrating, but the big picture isn’t so bleak.

You are 23 years old. Virtually everyone is experiencing disruptions. Your current job won’t matter in ten years. You’ll be living a different life than now. Things will have evolved are resolved. Nothing except for the health and well-being of your loved ones matters.

Maintain your composure and try to be philosophical and flexible. You’ll feel better.

Old 05-04-2020, 04:55 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,232,733 times
If you could afford to fly that often, can't you afford to rent a car?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships