Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2022, 07:25 AM

32 posts, read 26,156 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

After dating a girl for almost six months , I (F) got broken up in a very humiliating way. In the midst of emotions I told her that I wanted to stay friends. We stayed in contact , still exchanging lengthy texts about our lives.

However , I am at a point where I really regret this decision and have no desire to stay in contact with her anymore. How do I that without totally ghosting her or being upfront about it since I was the first person to want to remain friends?

Also , when discussing the breakup I mentioned crying one time when we were together because she disappeared one week (yeah I know I shouldn't have told her about it). I don't know why but every time she gets busy she sends me now a text telling me that she won't be responsive for a few days.
It makes me feel like I'm some sort of nutcase in her eyes.

Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2022, 07:30 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,241,552 times
Do you see each other, or is it long distance? If you only text, its pretty easy to just start lightening up on the context of texts. Dont text them. When they text you, just give short simple answer. Dont tell them all about your life. It will eventually die on its own.

Old 09-19-2022, 07:33 AM

32 posts, read 26,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
Do you see each other, or is it long distance?
We actually broke up because I was leaving and she wasn't ready for long distance. As for lightening up , I will try to that. We have very long conversations (send a dozen long texts every time we talk). Thanks.

Old 09-19-2022, 08:24 AM

29,522 posts, read 22,674,035 times
Everything You Need To Know About "Caspering," The Friendly Way To Ghost

Old 09-19-2022, 08:25 AM

30,274 posts, read 23,751,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zrlos View Post
...How do I that without totally ghosting her or being upfront about it since I was the first person to want to remain friends?...!
You're allowed to change your mind. People change their minds about friendships all the time. Ghosting is lame, and so is not telling someone the truth, so you're going to have to be upfront. Just tell her that it hurts too much, and you need to have a complete break. (That is the truth because you're hurting yourself by beating yourself up about admitting to crying, and now think you must look like a nut case. That's hurtful - to yourself. Stop that.)

That's it.

Then, you move on with life.

Old 09-19-2022, 09:10 AM

3,531 posts, read 3,735,718 times
She most likely isn't going to be affected as much as you think if you stop contact. They move on very quickly; she isn't going to build a shrine in your honor. Tell her you want a clean break, then change your phone number, delete her from social media completely, etc. There are thousands of women you could potentially date, no need to get hung up on this one, or even remain friends. Life will move on whether she's in yours or not.

Old 09-19-2022, 09:56 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,684,449 times
You don't need to change your number unless you think you're going to get harassed.

Old 09-19-2022, 10:32 AM

6,875 posts, read 4,877,055 times
You don't need to respond with lengthy tests. You are broken up so you owe her no explanations. It's unlikely she will care if you cease contact.

Let her initiate all texts. Make your replies brief. If she asks about your job you reply with - it's going well. Don't go into detail. If she texts you about a good weekend, respond with - that's great, glad you had fun.

If she asks why you aren't texting more you tell her you are busy, or not in the mood, or you can be honest and say you have decided it's not important anymore that you remain friends.

I wouldn't go on about feelings, or that you feel like a nutcase. Make like she doesn't matter anymore and eventually she won't.

Old 09-19-2022, 01:56 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,564,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
You're allowed to change your mind. People change their minds about friendships all the time. Ghosting is lame, and so is not telling someone the truth, so you're going to have to be upfront. Just tell her that it hurts too much, and you need to have a complete break. (That is the truth because you're hurting yourself by beating yourself up about admitting to crying, and now think you must look like a nut case. That's hurtful - to yourself. Stop that.)

That's it.

Then, you move on with life.
^^This^^

No need to ghost or do the slow fade--just tell her exactly what you told us, O.P. That you've found it to be too painful to be "just friends" and that in order to move forward you have changed your mind about maintaining friendly contact with your ex girlfriend.

There's no need to make it more complicated than that.

Old 09-19-2022, 02:11 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,984,458 times
Cut and paste from this article: People ghost for reasons of fear, anxiety, fear of hurting someone, fear of conflict, fear that they will succumb to "pressure" and say yes to another date that they do not want.

This is ridiculous. Were people always that way, is that a cultural thing??

What about just growing some balls and say, no thank you, I would like to move on and not with you in any way. It was nice getting to know you, I wish you all the best. DONE. Is this really THAT DIFFICULT?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships