Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2022, 10:07 AM

6,468 posts, read 3,985,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
As a woman, if someone isn't interested in talking to me - even just to say hi - unless it's to get in my pants, that's an automatic no from me. How are you going to claim to like someone then avoid them entirely?
Normally I'd agree with this assessment, except some of these religious-conservative types think dating is a prelude to marriage only, and won't date unless they're ready to get married. So I suppose it's possible they won't even get to know a woman unless they're ready to date, which they won't do unless they're ready for marriage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyandPearl View Post
I see no evidence that son is "obsessed" in any way. He is interested and wants to get to know a woman he met in college but didn't feel ready at the time to take it further.
Except that this is a woman he's never even spoken to, and not only can he not move on two years later (from a crush on someone who, again, he's had absolutely no relationship with at all outside of simply seeing her in the same place he was a few times), now he's prepared to "wait" for her for years to see if she's interested. That's not... normally how people operate.

Quote:
People aren't born knowing each other.
No, they're not. But he passed on the opportunity to know her, and now that that ship has long sailed, he's hoping he can get it to turn around and return to the dock.

Quote:
Son knows Lisa from college.
He doesn't "know her from college," because he didn't know her to begin with. He knows she went to the same college he did-- that's it.

Quote:
Yeah it could be argued that Dad's too involved but it is often the case in traditional religious families that generations are close.
Look, I get asking friends, parents, or other trusted family members for advice on social or romantic situations. But I imagine one doesn't usually expect that friend or family member to then go ask about it on the internet... that's the part I find a bit odd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Also, and I've asked it before, where is the mom? I feel sure a woman would have a different perspective on this cringey situation.
*Shrug* Maybe she's not in the picture, for whatever reason-- left, divorced, dead, son just didn't want to ask his mom for relationship advice. If mom was posting, would we be asking where was dad?

Of course, I notice that OP has checked out from this thread and we're all just arguing among ourselves at this point...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2022, 03:08 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,551,576 times
I think the first time I heard that "ask so and so to ask her..." was about 7th grade. And you know the good thing about trying to meet a girl even back at that age? Mommy and Daddy stayed out of it.

Old 10-23-2022, 03:16 PM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
Butt out, Dad. Your son needs to move on and build a life. If he hasn’t found a job yet, he could wind up anywhere. He doesn’t need to be tied down to a girl right now.

Old 10-23-2022, 04:19 PM

13,762 posts, read 8,014,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
His best friend actually is closer with one of Lisa's best friends, so to help my son, he texted Lisa's best friend and mentioned to him that he has a friend that knows about Lisa back from college and that he likes Lisa and is interested in getting to know her better. Without him even mentioning my son's name or who he is at all, her best friend said that "Lisa is very content being single and probably would not like to be set up on a date, so she recommended that he does not bring it up to Lisa, especially since he and Lisa are not close friends outside of the classes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
I really do like your idea of him going to the gym with his friend a few times to try and meet Lisa in an organic manner.
Humm. Study the woman while incognito. What could possibly go wrong.

Last edited by john3232; 10-23-2022 at 04:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships