Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 10:24 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times

Advertisements

I don't believe I'm doing this but I agreed to try and work out my marriage. I have a bad feeling I'm going to wish I hadn't done this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 10:33 AM

2,358 posts, read 5,982,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I don't believe I'm doing this but I agreed to try and work out my marriage. I have a bad feeling I'm going to wish I hadn't done this.
Then perhaps you shouldn't do it. Intuition is often the best guide, even if it's the harder choice. I don't know your situation, so I have no clue if it's a good thing to try to work it out. I'm just saying your intuition might be right. Hoping for the best for you, no matter what that is.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:39 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
I think it's a reasonable decision, Ivory. You have to change the ways you interact, though. Don't look at it as working on your existing marriage; look at it as starting a brand new one!

On that note, I'd like to recommend you a couple of books by Michelle Weiner-Davis:

Amazon.com: Divorce Busting: A Step-by-Step Approach to Making Your Marriage Loving Again: Michele Weiner Davis: Books

Amazon.com: Getting Through to the Man You Love: The No-Nonsense, No-Nagging Guide for Women: Michele Weiner-Davis: Books

Oh, this one is very good, too:

Amazon.com: 101 Things I Wish I Knew When I Got Married: Simple Lessons to Make Love Last: Linda Bloom, Charlie Bloom: Books

Read them, think hard, and try to avoid the old knee-jerk reactions you're used to.

Good luck!

P.S. And don't come here for "advices" for every step of the way... On second thought, DON'T come here AT ALL!

Last edited by sierraAZ; 07-04-2008 at 10:41 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 07-04-2008, 11:46 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,622,832 times
Quote:
However it turns out good luck, and with the exception of sierraAZ (who'll be off reading somewhere ) we'll be here to lend an ear.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:55 AM

3,814 posts, read 6,785,580 times
Quote:
Trust that feeling. You have every right to go slow, very slow. And remember that life's lessons are in our experiences. Be well.

Old 07-04-2008, 12:11 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,432,150 times
Well, even idiots make the right move on occasion. Mind you, I'm not agreeing that you're an idiot. But, if you're going to try to work out the marriage, then my guess is you should stop calling yourself an idiot and really make a commitment to the process. Best of luck!!!

Old 07-04-2008, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
However it turns out good luck, and with the exception of sierraAZ (who'll be off reading somewhere ) we'll be here to lend an ear.
It's obviously her choice, but I'd recommend her to take advice from happily married people ONLY!

Old 07-04-2008, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
It's obviously her choice, but I'd recommend her to take advice from happily married people ONLY!
Yeah - at least Davis has been married 30 years - but somehow applying lessons learned from books to real life just seems very difficult if not impossible. It's like all the emails I get from people wanting to know which DVD or tape to get to learn t'ai chi at home - you just can't do it.

Old 07-04-2008, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Yeah - at least Davis has been married 30 years - but somehow applying lessons learned from books to real life just seems very difficult if not impossible.
I didn't say it was easy (we ol' dogs have hard time with new tricks), but the lessons are quite simple and applicable - of course, provided you deal with another decent and fairly sane human being who wants improvement...

Old 07-04-2008, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I didn't say it was easy (we ol' dogs have hard time with new tricks), but the lessons are quite simple and applicable - of course, provided you deal with another decent and fairly sane human being who wants improvement...
The simplest lessons are often the hardest to learn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships