Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2008, 12:57 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,215,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntoQT View Post
He brought it up and I'd always been intrigued by it, so I agreed. So, yeah...his idea, but I get more play! *lol*
Now. How long doing it? And how long did it take for him to convince you?

No booing or moralizing from the crowd here, by the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 12:57 PM

1,244 posts, read 3,228,407 times
Quote:
Cheating is the act of taking something from someone when they don't know you've done it. You lie to them to cover what you've done. If two people agree on something and there is full disclosure, it is NOT cheating.
To you it may not be cheating and I can respect your opinion. However, just because it is not to you, doesn't make it so for everyone.

There are many things two people can agree to do and it doesn't change it's being wrong nor what it means or represents. For example, two students can consent agree to cheat off each other on a test. Despite their agreement to do so, to the teacher and others, it does not change the fact they cheated. In a relationship, two people can agree to cheat on each other by being with others, however, just just because they agree doesn't change the fact that to other's it is still considered cheating. Agreement to do so or not.

Webster's Dictionary and Dictionary.com define cheating as

2: to be sexually unfaithful —usually used with on<was cheating on his wife>
cheating - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

3. Informal To be sexually unfaithful: cheat on a spouse.
cheating - Definitions from Dictionary.com

While true cheating can mean taking something from someone without their knowledge, this thread is about a relationship/marriage. In this case, whether with knowledge and consent or not, it is still an act of being sexually unfaithful. That makes it cheating any way you slice it. Only difference is okay, it's consentual cheating, but that still doesn't change what it is. At least in my opinion.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mari4him View Post
To you it may not be cheating and I can respect your opinion. However, just because it is not to you, doesn't make it so for everyone.

There are many things two people can agree to do and it doesn't change it's being wrong nor what it means or represents. For example, two students can consent agree to cheat off each other on a test. Despite their agreement to do so, to the teacher and others, it does not change the fact they cheated. In a relationship, two people can agree to cheat on each other by being with others, however, just just because they agree doesn't change the fact that to other's it is still considered cheating. Agreement to do so or not.

While true cheating can mean taking something from someone without their knowledge, this thread is about a relationship/marriage. In this case, whether with knowledge and consent or not, it is still an act of being sexually unfaithful. That makes it cheating any way you slice it. Only difference is okay, it's consentual cheating, but that still doesn't change what it is. At least in my opinion.
Thank you, Cotton Mather. But now that a poster has decided to provide honest answers, I'd like to listen to her.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:12 PM

2,397 posts, read 6,462,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mari4him View Post

I appreciate the civility in your response and respect your opinion, but, as you stated, it is merely an opinion. Yours and mine just don't happen to agree. I can live with that.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Now. How long doing it? And how long did it take for him to convince you?

No booing or moralizing from the crowd here, by the way.
2 1/2 years, no convincing necessary. We discussed boundaries and adhere to them.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Thank you, Cotton Mather. But now that a poster has decided to provide honest answers, I'd like to listen to her.
How does responding to a comment that someone made quoting your own comment classify you as being one that goes on a witch hunt? I'm curious.

She can provide your answers, I'm not stopping her. However, like I said, I was merely responding to her response to something I wrote. Nothing more, nothing less.

If this relationship works for some, hey so be it. I just don't agree with it and it is not what I want my marriage. Other than that, I am just sharing my opinion on what cheating is, just like everyone else.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:17 PM

Quote:
I appreciate the civility in your response and respect your opinion, but, as you stated, it is merely an opinion. Yours and mine just don't happen to agree. I can live with that.
No problem and fair enough.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:21 PM

444 posts, read 1,050,490 times
My take on open marriges is that I personally do not agree with it. People are different and different things work for different people. Who knows what will happen with them?

Old 07-17-2008, 01:22 PM

Quote:
2 1/2 years, no convincing necessary. We discussed boundaries and adhere to them.

Mari, we've spent eight pages railing away at this lifestyle, and when somebody has the nerve to admit dabbling in it, I'd like to hear their viewpoint on it without hustling her off to the dunking pond. Thanks.

Now. And what have you enjoyed and not enjoyed about it?

How have you coped with the jealousy factor?

Do people in your life, such as family and friends, know about your unusual social life?

Old 07-17-2008, 01:23 PM

Quote:
I have no problem if someone disagrees with me or what I choose to do. What I don't appreciate is rudeness and being called names. That's when things get ugly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships