Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 07:56 AM

783 posts, read 2,589,153 times

Advertisements

If one is in a relationship (in my former case BF/GF) and starts talking to the opposite sex often including at odds hrs. Receives gifts and engages in other activities excluding may be sex (my former GF wouldn't tell us); would u consider that cheating?

I do

How do u tell the other is a cheater?

Last edited by npumcrisz; 07-26-2008 at 07:56 AM.. Reason: addition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 10:18 AM

16 posts, read 58,424 times
I think engaging in any behavior that you would not do if your significant other was by your side is a form of cheating.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:53 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,258,266 times
I wouldn't consider talking at odd hours or receiving gifts to be cheating. I would be suspicious, though.

To me cheating is any intimate act that is obviously going beyond friendship. It also depends on who is involved and how she knows this person. If my GF was excessively holding hands or getting cuddly with someone that she has known as a close friend for years before she knew me; well, who am I to tell her she can't do that?

My opinion is that too many people are offended by the smallest things. Yes, it is great to feel as if you are everything to this one person, but the reality is that you are not. There are other people in our lives that we relate to on a different basis, and in many of these cases being intimate is not sexual. Get over it.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:58 AM

28,969 posts, read 30,320,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flosty View Post
I think engaging in any behavior that you would not do if your significant other was by your side is a form of cheating.

I agree....

While I believe there are exceptions to the rules, basically, cheaters have very low self asteem...chances are, one of their parents did and it was openly acceptable.

Cheaters need to have that fix of self gratification, which they only get while in a new relationship...otherwise, they don't feel in sync with life...(you know that feeling of falling in love when you meet your significant other)...well, they need that all the time.

Cheaters possess misplaced loyalties, to the relationship and as they say, past behaviors predict future behaviors. It is a very bad idea to date anyone who openly admits that they've cheated in the past. I mean, you run the risk with any relationship, but why play russian rolet?

They are never satisfied, and unable to be emotionally attached.

Tell tale signs of cheaters are a change in their personal hygene, a desire to work out, sexual inconsistency, your phone ringing and someone hangin up...if he says he's going out with friends and insists he does not want you there...unaccounted whereabouts...putting your needs on the backburner...his whole demeaner changes, he doesn't kiss you as much, doesn't hold hands as much..briefer phone conversations, and unfulfilled promises. Long hours at work, without the overtime showing up in the paycheck...lingering perfume in his car and on his clothes...they will sometimes pick arguments so they can storm out of the house...expenses not accounted for....he is always looking for excuses to be away from you saying, he needs more time alone...especially if it's out of his normal pattern...

Just remember one thing...and it is paramount to know...when someone cheats on you, it has nothing to do with you personally...you haven't failed that person, or the marriage. A person who cheats is basically dealing with problems that could stem as far back as childhood..so remember, it's not you, although, when caught, they will, in fact, blame you for the infidelity...don't believe it.

Old 07-27-2008, 02:53 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,862,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npumcrisz View Post
(my former GF wouldn't tell us)
Wouldn't tell "us"? As in there were more than two of you involved in this relationship? If so...it's already messed up. I can't offer any advice for a three way relationship.

Old 07-27-2008, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I agree....

While I believe there are exceptions to the rules, basically, cheaters have very low self asteem...chances are, one of their parents did and it was openly acceptable.

Cheaters need to have that fix of self gratification, which they only get while in a new relationship...otherwise, they don't feel in sync with life...(you know that feeling of falling in love when you meet your significant other)...well, they need that all the time.

Cheaters possess misplaced loyalties, to the relationship and as they say, past behaviors predict future behaviors. It is a very bad idea to date anyone who openly admits that they've cheated in the past. I mean, you run the risk with any relationship, but why play russian rolet?

They are never satisfied, and unable to be emotionally attached.

Tell tale signs of cheaters are a change in their personal hygene, a desire to work out, sexual inconsistency, your phone ringing and someone hangin up...if he says he's going out with friends and insists he does not want you there...unaccounted whereabouts...putting your needs on the backburner...his whole demeaner changes, he doesn't kiss you as much, doesn't hold hands as much..briefer phone conversations, and unfulfilled promises. Long hours at work, without the overtime showing up in the paycheck...lingering perfume in his car and on his clothes...they will sometimes pick arguments so they can storm out of the house...expenses not accounted for....he is always looking for excuses to be away from you saying, he needs more time alone...especially if it's out of his normal pattern...

Just remember one thing...and it is paramount to know...when someone cheats on you, it has nothing to do with you personally...you haven't failed that person, or the marriage. A person who cheats is basically dealing with problems that could stem as far back as childhood..so remember, it's not you, although, when caught, they will, in fact, blame you for the infidelity...don't believe it.

Females cheat also..... not just males. WRT your 5th paragraph

Old 07-27-2008, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Wouldn't tell "us"? As in there were more than two of you involved in this relationship? If so...it's already messed up. I can't offer any advice for a three way relationship.
Not a Menage a trois if that is what u mean.

Friends and love ones were included in the pronoun "us".

Old 07-27-2008, 11:47 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,578,599 times
If you have to ask, it must be cheating

Old 07-27-2008, 11:52 AM

2,735 posts, read 6,742,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flosty View Post
And I think this is a perfect description

Old 07-27-2008, 12:36 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,147,272 times
I never understand these "is this cheating?" threads. I mean, if at the end of the day, the person's behavior bothers you to the point that you can't get past it, it's over. Even if 100% of the people on a message board (or irl for that matter) say that it isn't cheating. I guess what I'm saying is that it doesn't matter if something meets some random definition of cheating. It's all about how YOU feel about it. Either it's acceptable to you or it isn't, whether other people consider it cheating or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships