Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 07:59 PM

333 posts, read 999,269 times

Advertisements

Ok..

Apologies if this has been covered before, but I wanted to know what peoples experiences have been doing / using online dating.

Do you use social networking sites like mySpace and FaceBook or more targeted sites like Match.com, eHarmoney, etc?

Have you ever met in RL someone that you met online? How did it go?

Any successes? What about failures?

Does meeting someone online still have that "creepy" connotation or is it more socially acceptable these days?

Come on, spare no details. Inquiring minds would like to know
(Ok, keep in reasonable, and only disclose what you are comfortable telling the group)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 08:26 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,868,413 times
I tried online dating and realize that it isn't worth it.

Old 08-03-2008, 08:52 PM

938 posts, read 3,505,260 times
I've tried OkCupid, one of the free sites, and had very poor luck. I would message people back and forth for awhile and it never went anywhere. I met one girl in person off of OkCupid, I thought it went well, called her to set something else up, never a phone call back. I'm well educated, reasonably personable, and in good shape, but that didn't seem to help much.

IMO, it doesn't work too well, at least on the free sites. Most people seemed really flaky. Basically, with a dating site people can be very picky, just by hitting "Delete" or ignoring messages. It is much, much easier to decline someone online than in real life. Maybe you'd get some better luck on a pay site, but I have had absoutley no luck on the free sites.

Old 08-03-2008, 11:09 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,868,413 times
Online dating is a waste basket. Those sites are just packed with jail-baiting animals like MySpace. OKCupid sucks. You send a message and no response. Good thing I haven't posted any pictures up on any dating site.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OA 5599 View Post
I've tried OkCupid, one of the free sites, and had very poor luck. I would message people back and forth for awhile and it never went anywhere. I met one girl in person off of OkCupid, I thought it went well, called her to set something else up, never a phone call back. I'm well educated, reasonably personable, and in good shape, but that didn't seem to help much.

IMO, it doesn't work too well, at least on the free sites. Most people seemed really flaky. Basically, with a dating site people can be very picky, just by hitting "Delete" or ignoring messages. It is much, much easier to decline someone online than in real life. Maybe you'd get some better luck on a pay site, but I have had absoutley no luck on the free sites.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:29 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs5mz2 View Post
Ok..

Apologies if this has been covered before, but I wanted to know what peoples experiences have been doing / using online dating.
I met my wife on Yahoo personals nine (9) years ago, and we'll have been happily married for five years this fall. w00t! But I don't have any "recent" experience on such sites. On AFF and a few other places, perhaps, but the end goal of those sites isn't quite the same.

Quote:
Do you use social networking sites like mySpace and FaceBook or more targeted sites like Match.com, eHarmoney, etc?
Not anymore. Well, I am on MySpace, but I don't really use that site for much. Most for sending notes to my relatively few MySpace friends. If you wanna check out my site, feel free! Hehe.

Quote:
I dated perhaps a dozen people that I'd met through Yahoo Personals or other similar sites back when I was looking for someone. Some dates went fairly well, some went poorly. I did meet one girl who seriously misrepresented herself (she didn't tell me she was married!) who I would have otherwise been attracted to, and I met a couple of others who failed to mention a few things (one was a chain smoker, something I don't think I could deal with even now).

Quote:
Does meeting someone online still have that "creepy" connotation or is it more socially acceptable these days?
I did it back when it wasn't that acceptable, but as a nonreligious male who mostly had single guy friends and worked in a corporate IT department that was mostly male, it seemed like something to try. I was also curious what types of womenwould seriously use a service like that.

In all, I met three women who I ended up becoming friends with, and I ended up marrying one of those three.

All in all, I think it was a positive experience, but as a relatively large guy I probably don't get subjected to the types of weird situations (or dangerous situations) that a woman might face. I suspect things have changed quite a bit, though.

Then again, we have a friend who met his fiancee on e-Harmony, and they're going to be married next spring, so perhaps there's some hope for that sort of site. Yahoo was far less structured...

Old 08-04-2008, 02:03 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,897,496 times
Quote:
Ok..

I have a facebook account but I only use it for social networking and making friends. I've never used more targeted sites like Match etc because it's not really my thing. Just as heading out to singles nights or speed dating in real life aren't my thing.

Quote:
I have a couple of friends that I met online that I have spent time with in real life and will continue to spend time with. I have a couple more friends that I have met online that I will be meeting in real life shortly.

Quote:
Any successes? What about failures?
I guess so far I consider all of the friendships I've made online as sucesses regardless of whether we have met in real life or not.
There has been one relationship that I would consider a complete failure and fabrication. Thankfully that's over now.

Quote:
I don't see it as any different to meeting someone in a bar or club. Sometimes it's creepy, mostly it isn't.

Quote:
Come on, spare no details. Inquiring minds would like to know
(Ok, keep in reasonable, and only disclose what you are comfortable telling the group)
That pretty much covers it. Mostly the internet is a great way to meet good people who share common interests, sometimes you come across a-holes. Just like in life.

Old 08-04-2008, 05:22 AM

2,275 posts, read 6,305,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Mostly the internet is a great way to meet good people who share common interests, sometimes you come across a-holes. Just like in life.
This sums it all up. Sure, some people have less than positive experiences. That doesn't make the internet a bad place to meet people.

Also, you get out of it what you put into it. If you put up a vague profile, i.e, "I don't like to play games, I love to laugh, am comfortable in blue jeans or a tux, love moonlit walks on the beach, etc." you're going to get a lousy response rate. A person who likes to play games isn't going to say, "Nope, don't contact that person, they don't like to play."

Most people love to laugh - the key is what kind of a sense of humor you have. Instead of saying you love to laugh, inject some of your humor into the ad.

The last two items are so cliche. With the number of people who like moonlit walks on the beach, those beaches must be pretty damn crowded.

At the same time, if you're going to respond to an ad, tailor it towards the ad you're responding to. Instead of saying, "Ur hot, do you want to date?" let the person know you actually read their ad, and respond to specific points.

As for my experiences, I met my husband in a chat room. We've been married over six years now. I know a lot of people who have met their spouses online. I also have several friends I've met online as well.

My mother, a 75-year-old widow, moved to my area two years ago, not knowing anyone but me and my husband's family. She signed up for a couple of groups on meetups.com, and has made a lot of new friends here. She has more of a social life than I do.

Old 08-04-2008, 06:12 AM

1,552 posts, read 3,167,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wclac View Post
Online dating is a waste basket. Those sites are just packed with jail-baiting animals like MySpace. OKCupid sucks. You send a message and no response. Good thing I haven't posted any pictures up on any dating site.
why do you think you get no responses?
no pic=no response

Old 08-04-2008, 06:20 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,865,469 times
Default Yahoo.com

I met my husband through Yahoo.com back then it was free (2000) I posted the ad in September... went through a handful of odd guys. ONE was so odd... he forgot to tell me he was missing a LEG prior to our meeting... imagine how uncomfortable I felt when this guy who was going on and on about how much he loved to SKI and was going to pick up his brand new pair of skiis and could we meet afterwards... He showed up to the coffee shop on crutches and on one leg... I think my issue with this was that we had exhanged emails for over two weeks, and not once did he let me know about this....it must be difficult to tell people and perhaps be rejected... but I had issues with just HELLO! I forgot to tell ya... nothing like shock value... SO, that was our last meeting... after another odd encounter I was about ready to pull the ad... but I got an response from my husband that day I was thinking about it... he sounded way too good to be true... Met him 11/29/00 and we were engaged 5 weeks later... married 12/01... have two great kids and are as happy as ever... Just gotta weed through the crazies...

Old 08-04-2008, 08:50 AM

8,937 posts, read 20,360,557 times
Personally for myself, if I were still single, I wouldn't hit the Internet for a possible mate/relationship......the Personal Ads in magazines was for me (placing an Ad). That is how I met my wife! But, you have to tell the truth about yourself weither it's online or in a magazine ad. Problem is, wayyyyyy to many single people DON'T tell the truth about themselves (weight/height/general looks). I put in my ad EXACTLY what I looked like/personality and EXACTLY the type of woman I was looking for. I also put my interests and where I grew up (farming). I got a number of letters/phone messages from ladies, BUT my (now) wife "won me over!!" And, talk about "compatiable" with "same interests"......oh yes!! And, she only lived two cities over from me.
Online dating, hummmmmm??? Personal Ad (in magazine).........worked for me!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships