Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2008, 06:19 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,489,531 times

Advertisements

my grandparents were married 64 years before my grandfather passed away.
i love hearing about these stories. i know that by the finish line everything looks like they have been in love this whole time. but we have to realize that the reason they were all still together is because through the adversity, they stuck it out and worked together.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 06:31 AM

1,244 posts, read 3,225,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlefty23 View Post
because marriage is archaic and puttng feeling into a contract is pointless other than for tax and insurance purposes
That I believe is one of the biggest problems. A lot of people today do see marriage as a contract with all it's little fine print and benefits, but also with all the little loop holes that it can have.

I don't believe marriage is archaic, I just think people are a lot less committed these days. Marriage didn't used to be viewed as a contract but more like a covenant (promise) between the two entering into it. Along with that came a sense of commitment to holding on to that promise.

People also didn't rush into marriage or base it solely on emotion. Viewing it as a lifelong commitment, they were a little more careful in choosing their partner. Parental influence was often involved to a certain extent depending on how far back you go.

Nowadays, because they see the loophole; because unlike the years and years ago, at the start of the relationship getting serious and heading in the direction of marriage, there is a sometimes subconcious notion that if it doesn't work out it's okay we can just get a divorce, I think a lot of people simply don't take the decision as seriously or give it as deep consideration. Often times they go on feelings and sadly that is how they live out their marriage too, based on feelings.

The older generation, I believe, understood that love was more than just a feeling, as was/is commitment. Getting married was a decision they made. Sticking it out through good times, bad times, easy times and hard times was equally a decision that was made.

In my opinion, marriage is not something that can rely solely on feelings. Afterall, anytime two people get together, there are going to be times when all the good feelings are there. Love, joy, satisfaction, excitement, etc. There are also going to be times when you simply don't feel those feelings because life happens, things happen, problems sometimes manifest and you have to find ways to get past the hurdles together. I think the older generations had a better grasp on that truth than what we see today.

I come from a very large family where long marriages are very much the common thing. Divorces are not common, not saying some have not occured, but they are not the common. Therefore, at a very early age there were things that I learned about marriage. About the commitment that it is and about how it should be entered into. I know, for example, that there are going to be days that I simply may not "like" my husband, or days when I am not "feeling" the love. However, I also know that loving my husband is a choice that I make and a choice that I make daily at that. I love him despite his flaws, I love him through mistakes, I choose to love him in good times (which comes easy), I choose to love him in hard times (which comes harder).

The morning after my husband and I got married we went out to breakfast and of course our car was all decked up with the "Just Married" signs everywhere. People at the restaraunt seemingly put together we were that couple. We had people coming up to us saying congratulations, a waitress bringing us a decorated breakfast cookie, the works. It was amazing. Then our waitress came and told us that another couple paid our breakfast and told her to tell us that they wish us 37 years of happiness as they have had.

Well we figured out the table that did it and as they were leaving we told them thank you. She gave a word of advice.. she said when things get tough and they will, just take a deep breath and just keep on going. I think that is the difference. It's not when things get tough pack up and go get an attorney, file for divorce and move on. No, it's take a deep breath and keep on going, together, working it through.

Of course that takes two commited people, and that is what I think is missing in a lot of marriages today. Too many see divorce as such an easy option, some even see it as a first response to tough situations, when in fact it should be as a last resort and under very specific circumstances only. Somethings in a marriage, yes you absolutely cannot overlook and sometimes divorce is the only option. However, most things, and a lot of things that people get divorced over nowadays, simply are not solid enough reasons that could not have been worked through or overcome had the couple stuck it out a bit longer.

Things like.. we just fell out of love.. well two people that really want to make the marriage work can find ways to fall in love again. It takes effort, yes. But that is what marriage is about, both putting forth the effort to make it work.

I'm 38 and my husband is 41, so who know's if we will have 50+ years under our belt with our marriage. What I do know is that we are both in it for the long haul and neither of us see's divorce as an option. We are committed to working through any and all difficulties and staying together. There is only, I believe, two deal breakers in our relationship and that is infidelity and physical abuse. Something we both discussed very early on, in great depth, prior to committing to marriage. Everything else, we believe can be worked out so long as we both continue to remain devoted to our marriage and each other and our decision to stick it out come what may.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:14 AM

8,942 posts, read 20,367,927 times
Gee, thanks for that analogy of marriage. We (wife/I) think that's a "cop out" and a bunch of "Bull", but that is our opinion. Marriage is a COMMITTMENT that some folks just don't want.
We are always glad to meet folks that have been married that long AND we don't even have to ask them "how did you do it"......we already know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlefty23 View Post
because marriage is archaic and puttng feeling into a contract is pointless other than for tax and insurance purposes

Old 08-08-2008, 09:45 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
So, why do so many young couples choose to "live together" for years today?
My wife wanted to live together with me before we even considered marriage because she had been burned by a previous marriage (she didn't know her ex well enough before they got married, and he turned out to be a very different person to live with than he had been while just dating).

I thought that was a good reason.

My parents have been together for 46 years now. Almost 47.

Old 08-08-2008, 10:02 AM

8,942 posts, read 20,367,927 times
We did "live together" one year (exactly to our Wedding Day), but I gave her the Engagement Ring to wear 2 weeks after I ask her to marry me (we both picked out the wedding set). Her putting on/wearing that Engagement Ring was my way of letting her know that I was 100% sure/serious about us getting married. We weren't that young though (both 51 yrs old). I wasn't afraid of marriage/committment and neither was she!!
We have nothing against "living together", but that's all a lot of today's couples want to do.....either with no marriage proposal in sight or Engaged for years til someone says "I've had enough!"
Being married for 50 years is a great thing that many of today's young couples can't even fathom doing!!

Old 08-08-2008, 10:05 AM

1,875 posts, read 2,869,267 times
Yeah, since divorce is on the rise. I wonder why? A man have to put up with a woman's stubborness and their relationship goes down the drain because of her.

It seem like Generation Y love is gone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
People today are pretty selfish, and afraid to commit to anything if it isn't the best for their own immediate personal happiness...

Old 08-08-2008, 10:32 AM

2,397 posts, read 6,455,797 times
My parents have their 52nd anniversary coming up in December. My dad is a hard man to live with, but my mom is no walk in the park, either. They've had some really rough times, but they stuck it out. For the past ten years or so, they've seemed to have become more content in their marriage and less likely to harangue each other over the most minute things. Their marriage has been the best definition of committment that I've ever witnessed.

Old 08-08-2008, 03:06 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,892,986 times
Well, if my parents' health stays good, in October they'll be married to each other 59 years. Amazing! We joke about how they could "stand each other" this long. They've had their ups and downs. They raised us three kids, and a few dogs. My father is a Gemini. My mother is an Aquarius.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:34 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
They typically married each other for all the RIGHT reasons.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:52 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,349,093 times
My lovely wife has put up with me now for thirty six years. I can only pray we will make it to our 50th anniversary but it will seem as if it is tomorrow if the next fourteen years go by as fast as the last thirty six.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships