Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What sort of "together" turns YOU on?
I LOVE a woman who is VERY intelligent and has it all together. Major turn on! 55 79.71%
I prefer flakey with a good shakey! 7 10.14%
I like a woman who has it together - but not if she is more together than I am. 7 10.14%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 08:33 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,233,536 times

Advertisements

I don't care 1 way or another.
My ego is so big I'm hardly ever intimidated by other people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 09:55 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
I don't think so.

Smart nerdy ladies always make ok friends...

Old 09-06-2008, 10:10 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,521 posts, read 6,327,828 times
Im not allowed to date now. But when I did date I always figured if I have to change me to get you to like me, then you realy dont like me.

Old 09-06-2008, 10:14 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I dated a woman who, on the first date, said, "I think you're smarter than me, and that really bothers me."

So it cuts both way.
I too have caught flak from a woman for my being 'too intelligent'--------never mind that said woman liked flagrant losers (sporadically employed, etc)

Old 09-06-2008, 10:18 PM

1,385 posts, read 3,006,628 times
I've never believed in playing games. If a guy didn't like me for who I was then he wasn't worth my time.

Old 09-06-2008, 10:19 PM

123 posts, read 295,520 times
it's my experience that men like long hair, nice boobs, brains, and confidence

brainy women can challenge them. they like that. men are easy, ladies. quit trying so dang hard

Old 09-07-2008, 12:11 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,302,170 times
No one ever wants to be the "lesser" in a relationship. If you can do something better than your partner, even if they find it hot at the beginning, it'll soon grate on them.

Old 09-07-2008, 12:18 PM

938 posts, read 3,506,694 times
Definite "NO" on the dumbing down...but I'll admit as a guy that I find myself intimidated by strong, successful women who have it together! I'd like to eventually find a girl like that, assuming she isn't too arrogant...confidence and cockiness are two very different things.

Old 09-07-2008, 12:38 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,385,029 times
I don't really see the point to dumb myself down. If the only way to get a guy to continue to date me is to pretend that I am not as smart as I am, then he definitely would not be the guy for me.

Old 09-08-2008, 04:16 AM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 2 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,599,675 times
If you don't want to "dumb yourself down", then

1)Get the hell away from places where intelligence is not glorified...especially scenes closely associated with alcohol, macho activities, materialism / "great" consumer goods", and fashion (I may sound like a snob, but if I do, then so be it)

2)Find a special interest club devoted to a "high-iq" subject matter (read "nerdy", if it helps you) that you're genuinely interested in... My favorite is the local astronomy club. You may like the local art museum (although if you're in a huge city like Dallas, they have literally thousands of people on any 'arts night' - not exactly the most easy-to-meet-and-greet environment if you're a reserved person).

As for other traits - allow me to go beyond romance and talk about any kind of relationship - even basic simple friendships between, say, straight people of the same gender (aka, basic simple run of the mill friendship).

Confidence and energy, while admirable, I consider overrated - for confidence and energy, no matter how appealing on a personal or sexual level, say NOTHING about the overall quality of the person. I place emphasis on openmindedeness to highly controversial and unpopular viewpoints, tolerance of the same, compassion, and general lovingkindness (these traits trump even intelligence in my book, for the same reasons confidence and energy take second or third chair to the traits I emphasize).

Just remember, no matter how intelligent, confident, and energetic a person is - there's nothing to keep such a person from being a despicable, cruel, rude, sarcastic ********* (and thus unworthy of your long-run trust and respect - not to mention your willingness to be open and vulnerable to them).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships