Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 02:28 PM

1 posts, read 3,132 times

Advertisements

I have been living with my boyfriend for 7 months, and we are going to get married. What confuses me is that my parents never said anything about me living with him until just last night, and they want me to move out until we get married. I am Christian, and I was a virgin until I was 19. I really did try to wait until I was married, but I obviously didn't. What should I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2007, 07:42 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
missy, maybe it'll settle your parents, concience if you separated til marriage, or maybe they themselves, dont want the questions from thier peers, about the two of you already livin together.

are your parents paying for the wedding? do you have a decent relationship with them? if yes, no matter how much it sucks, it may be best to grant thier wish, it will start the wedding out on the right foot, and parents may respect thier future son in law a bit more.

Old 03-21-2007, 07:49 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,159,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
missy, maybe it'll settle your parents, concience if you separated til marriage, or maybe they themselves, dont want the questions from thier peers, about the two of you already livin together.

are your parents paying for the wedding? do you have a decent relationship with them? if yes, no matter how much it sucks, it may be best to grant thier wish, it will start the wedding out on the right foot, and parents may respect thier future son in law a bit more.
No. It doesn't make any sense to me at all. Why on earth would they have something against the living together SEVEN months later????? They couldn't decide or what??? And how can you live with someone then split up until marriage to then get back together again. Nope.
There's more to this than that.

Old 03-21-2007, 08:25 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
vp, some mothers are over-bearing, meaning they like to get involved in all the wedding plans etc, im not saying this is the case here, however, many brides and mothers strive for that "perfect wedding" and it wont be perfect if'n mother has to answer questions of why her little girl is already (gasp) livin with the groom.

i dont think this way, but i know many parents that would react this way

Old 03-23-2007, 09:15 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missy143 View Post
I have been living with my boyfriend for 7 months, and we are going to get married. What confuses me is that my parents never said anything about me living with him until just last night, and they want me to move out until we get married. I am Christian, and I was a virgin until I was 19. I really did try to wait until I was married, but I obviously didn't. What should I do?
Since you are a Christian you know that the word of God does not change and you know what you should do.

Old 04-07-2007, 02:16 PM

2 posts, read 5,104 times
dear mam,u touch asensitive& essintial things in our life the person should own him self,his right,his beleavment,his soul,his happyness.he shoud know what he wants because,life is very short never go back.think about what u left as memory in the sorrounding,what impression u left behind u, never loose ur self under any pressure,never be hurry if it will be main dessision,directed the hole of ur short life,look for happyness it is arround u, think n then proceed all will be excited u
(urs sawa)

Old 04-08-2007, 08:22 AM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,451,575 times
My husband and I are Christians, and we did not live together before we were married. It was very hard, but well worth it. To be honest, I can't find a place in the Bible that says you can't live with each other before you're married. The Bible does say that you aren't to have sex outside of marriage. It also says that your father gives you to your husband. There's an idea that you go from the care of your father to the care of your husband. I know this isn't very popular now, but believe me, there is something quite special about the day you leave the care of you father and mother and go under the love and care of the man you'll be with for the rest of your life.

I have to point out that you should wait not because the Catholic church told you to, but because God commaded it. If you decide not to move in because you want to please others, you're not doing yourself any good. This should come out of a heart that desires to please God.

Plus, it's statistically proven that marriages last longer if the couple didn't live together before married!

Quote:
Times Have changed, so shouldn't God?
No. The Bible says that God is the same yesterday, today, and forever. Would you really want to put your faith in a God who changes with the times? Yikes. How could you trust that what He says is absolute truth?

Old 04-08-2007, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jco View Post
My husband and I are Christians, and we did not live together before we were married. It was very hard, but well worth it. To be honest, I can't find a place in the Bible that says you can't live with each other before you're married. The Bible does say that you aren't to have sex outside of marriage. It also says that your father gives you to your husband. There's an idea that you go from the care of your father to the care of your husband. I know this isn't very popular now, but believe me, there is something quite special about the day you leave the care of you father and mother and go under the love and care of the man you'll be with for the rest of your life.

I have to point out that you should wait not because the Catholic church told you to, but because God commaded it. If you decide not to move in because you want to please others, you're not doing yourself any good. This should come out of a heart that desires to please God.

Plus, it's statistically proven that marriages last longer if the couple didn't live together before married!

No. The Bible says that God is the same yesterday, today, and forever. Would you really want to put your faith in a God who changes with the times? Yikes. How could you trust that what He says is absolute truth?
AMEN! Well stated, I agree.

Old 04-08-2007, 02:15 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,141,847 times
Cool Think about it

Ok, yes they are correct, to a piont. But, in the Bible men were aloud to have as many wives as they wanted . And, in the Bible they didn't have weddings, that's a man made thing of today's standards. All they had to do is basically say I'll marry you. In Biblical time a minister wasn't always available way out in the boondocks. Usually the father of the bride to be, just simply handed her over with some dowery to a fella and she was married. Besides that, all wedding licenses are for so the government can keep tabs on us.
I know of a couple that never got married over fifty years ago, but had several childeren and lots of grand kids. And both died in they're early 80's. So did they live in sin? I think not. They raised the kids in a good Christian home, full of love and respect for each other. And, the Mother and children had the Fathers last name.
Live your life the best way you know how, respect others, love all and don't sit there pointing your finger at others people because they're not living their lives the way you think they should be. Remember, when you judge other, so you shell be judged. If it makes you happy forget what others have to say.

Old 04-08-2007, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeeBolt View Post
Ok, yes they are correct, to a piont. But, in the Bible men were aloud to have as many wives as they wanted . And, in the Bible they didn't have weddings, that's a man made thing of today's standards. All they had to do is basically say I'll marry you. In Biblical time a minister wasn't always available way out in the boondocks. Usually the father of the bride to be, just simply handed her over with some dowery to a fella and she was married. Besides that, all wedding licenses are for so the government can keep tabs on us.
I know of a couple that never got married over fifty years ago, but had several childeren and lots of grand kids. And both died in they're early 80's. So did they live in sin? I think not. They raised the kids in a good Christian home, full of love and respect for each other. And, the Mother and children had the Fathers last name.
Live your life the best way you know how, respect others, love all and don't sit there pointing your finger at others people because they're not living their lives the way you think they should be. Remember, when you judge other, so you shell be judged. If it makes you happy forget what others have to say.
Yes sometimes a man did have more than one wife in the Bible but it was NOT allowed this was outside the will of God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships