Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 06:48 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,633,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon View Post
I prefer the busy type. I like that because I know they will be to busy to want to be together all of the time....Yippie!
haha, so true. Much better if she has a life of her own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 06:51 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,182,116 times
JLB,

that's what I like, a lday with a life of her own. Not to be confused with "I am an independent women blah,blah, blah......"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
haha, so true. Much better if she has a life of her own.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:53 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,203,236 times
I am dating a girl who is currently in medical school. Right now she studies around 14 hours a day...

Sometimes the only time we have together is sitting there together studying/reading. I am fine with busy for now, it gives me the freedom to do all the stuff I want to do. If I ever get married and have a family though, that takes #1 priority.

I think you have to make rules. We have one night every week where we are not allowed to work/be with friends/etc from 8:00pm on. As long as we get that, we can't complain about the other person being too busy.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:13 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,639,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I am dating a girl who is currently in medical school. Right now she studies around 14 hours a day...

Sometimes the only time we have together is sitting there together studying/reading. I am fine with busy for now, it gives me the freedom to do all the stuff I want to do. If I ever get married and have a family though, that takes #1 priority.

I think you have to make rules. We have one night every week where we are not allowed to work/be with friends/etc from 8:00pm on. As long as we get that, we can't complain about the other person being too busy.
This is an excellent approach. You don't feel neglected and she doesn't feel like she's giving up too much for you. But like you said, it should be temporary. Her schedule will get worse when she becomes a resident, but if she continues to set aside time for you, then that shows she values you and the relationship. If she can't make time for you, then she should let you move on. It's unfair to you to continue waiting indefinitely.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:33 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,203,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
This is an excellent approach. You don't feel neglected and she doesn't feel like she's giving up too much for you. But like you said, it should be temporary. Her schedule will get worse when she becomes a resident, but if she continues to set aside time for you, then that shows she values you and the relationship. If she can't make time for you, then she should let you move on. It's unfair to you to continue waiting indefinitely.
exactly...until residency is over there is only so much free time to give, but in the meantime it is motivating me to get a graduate degree, exercise more, put in some extra time at work, etc. It is often too easy to focus on the negative.

Old 11-13-2008, 01:33 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times
weird. If they are busy then you can barely form a quality relationship. Then again most men and a lot of women know nothing about that. Just look at the failed institution of marriage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon View Post
I prefer the busy type. I like that because I know they will be to busy to want to be together all of the time....Yippie!

Old 11-13-2008, 01:38 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
for many the expectation is somebody that will orbit around them. that is the need and yearning of the narcisst----- the yearning of the echo is to do that orbiting.
normal relations mean life overlap with no individual being the center of attention but some shared experience yet each keeping their own identity and life intact.

Old 11-13-2008, 01:41 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times
Yes you are right; however, I get the feeling that Ron and LB want to do more compartmentalizing than is good for a quality relationship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
for many the expectation is somebody that will orbit around them. that is the need and yearning of the narcisst----- the yearning of the echo is to do that orbiting.
normal relations mean life overlap with no individual being the center of attention but some shared experience yet each keeping their own identity and life intact.

Old 11-13-2008, 01:44 PM

111 posts, read 286,216 times
You just havent found the right person......you will know when you do because this will cease to be an issue. When you are really into someone you just cant get enough of them.

Old 11-13-2008, 01:47 PM

943 posts, read 3,334,420 times
Nobody said anything about being busy,everyone has their own lives obviously.. we're talking about people who specifically say I'm too busy for a relationship or too busy to date you..9 times out of 10, it's code for I'm not interested in you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships