Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 10:07 AM

95 posts, read 342,603 times

Advertisements

What do you guys think about same sex friendships?

I have been living with my boyfriend for 3 years. Our relationship isn't perfect, but which one is? Overall he is a very sweet guy, but in the last year and a half he became very close to a female co-worker of his. I have to admit it bothered me when I found out he started having communications with her outside of work. I didn't understand why they had to speak to each other over the phone when they saw each other everyday.

I tried my best and did my part to welcome her as his "friend", but didn't feel comfortable being around her and asked him to please not set up any meetings with her because I didn't want to be put in that situation again. This past year has been rough for us. He lost his job, I was diagnosed with cancer (fine now) so he doesn't work with her anymore, but he kept the relationship going regardless of how I felt about it.

What made the situation worse was when he tried to hide the fact he set up a lunch date with her. I found out about the meeting by reading his e-mail. He tells me the reason he hid it from me was because he knew how I felt about her and didn't want to upset me.

Anyway, to not make this any longer we have been arguing about this for months and even if things go well it always seems to come up. We have been close to breaking up many times because this has brought up trust issues. I have asked him to stop talking to her. I don't want them to be friends anymore, but he refuses to and tells me that he'll do anything to avoid her, which he has not. He has a new job, she has his work e-mail, they are friends on facebook and I have tried to put it past us, but he really is not helping. Perhaps I am making a big deal out of this? After all they are "just friends".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 10:14 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,374,833 times
You could look at it from two perspectives, he values his friendship with her, he knows you can't get everything from one person no matter how great they are and he is not going to let you destroy the friendship they have developed.
Or hes cheating on you or it could lead to that.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:21 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,482,904 times
Sounds like the trust issues run both ways. You dont like him having a female friend and he probably doesnt appreciate you snooping in his email. You need to be prepared to handle anything when youre nosy!

Old 09-16-2008, 10:22 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
I don't see the wrong in your boyfriend having a close friend that is a female. Male friends can be worse trouble as the talk tends to locker room quality and talking about chicks in a derogatory way. Do you have any close friends besides your boyfriend? Humans are social creatures and it's not healthy for a couple to only keep to themselves.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:26 AM

335 posts, read 1,113,111 times
Sorry but I went through with my boyfriend and his "best friend" (female). If he is lying to you about it then it is a problem regardless of his reasons.

IMO he doesn't respect you enough to drop the friendship. Depending on how long and serious your relationship is I think that relationships are more important than friendship. But the relationships where you see yourself with the other person forever and want a future and family with them.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:37 AM

429 posts, read 1,148,179 times
He's being dishonest ("tells me that he'll do anything to avoid her, which he has not"), secretive ("he tried to hide the fact he set up a lunch date with her"), and shows a lack of concern for your feelings ("he kept the relationship going regardless of how I felt about it"). I think your relationship with him has problems outside the stress his female friend is creating.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:41 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,374,833 times
I think his main flaw is not being completely honest, if it were just a friendship I would just make you deal with it. Not being completely honest allows for doubt.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:45 AM

95 posts, read 342,603 times
I do have friendships at work with other guys, but I would never let those friendships intefere with the relationship I have with my boyfriend. What bothers me the most and gets me thinking is his covering up.

I would have never felt the need to check his e-mail if I didn't think something was going on behind my back. As his partner of 3 years I think I have the right to know he has a lunch date with another female.

Yes, I do believe that people can be attracted to someone else while being in a relationship, but I also think if that's the case then you should not be involved. I have an issue with that girl and he knows it, so why isn't he being considerate of my feelings and stop communicating with her? This way we can move forward and try to make this work.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:45 AM

77 posts, read 234,400 times
He did offer you to be a part of it, and you backed out. But obviously this friendship is somehow, in some way, important to him, because he isn't dropping it no matter how many times you've fought.

I agree with everyone - it could lead to something else. I'd back "in" again, so you know what's going on, and can see the nonverbal stuff, too.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:48 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,489,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love2live View Post
What do you guys think about same sex friendships?

I have been living with my boyfriend for 3 years. Our relationship isn't perfect, but which one is? Overall he is a very sweet guy, but in the last year and a half he became very close to a female co-worker of his. I have to admit it bothered me when I found out he started having communications with her outside of work. I didn't understand why they had to speak to each other over the phone when they saw each other everyday.

I tried my best and did my part to welcome her as his "friend", but didn't feel comfortable being around her and asked him to please not set up any meetings with her because I didn't want to be put in that situation again. This past year has been rough for us. He lost his job, I was diagnosed with cancer (fine now) so he doesn't work with her anymore, but he kept the relationship going regardless of how I felt about it.

What made the situation worse was when he tried to hide the fact he set up a lunch date with her. I found out about the meeting by reading his e-mail. He tells me the reason he hid it from me was because he knew how I felt about her and didn't want to upset me.

Anyway, to not make this any longer we have been arguing about this for months and even if things go well it always seems to come up. We have been close to breaking up many times because this has brought up trust issues. I have asked him to stop talking to her. I don't want them to be friends anymore, but he refuses to and tells me that he'll do anything to avoid her, which he has not. He has a new job, she has his work e-mail, they are friends on facebook and I have tried to put it past us, but he really is not helping. Perhaps I am making a big deal out of this? After all they are "just friends".
looks like he tried to keep the freindship very open by being with her and you at the same time. but you have made him be secrative about it, which will lead to making it something more between he and her. now they have something "taboo" together and hiding it from you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships