Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 03:17 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,033,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooksterL1 View Post
I'm intrigued by so many of these "why do people have kids" musings on here. Do you think that you were hatched or dropped on your parent's doorstep by the stork?
Meh. That's one of those "bingo" questions childfree folks get when prodded to justify their choice/orientation. Makes no sense to ask it. Though, personally, if I saw one of those delivery storks heading toward my house ...........

<chik-chik> KABLAAAM!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 03:36 PM

3,885 posts, read 8,123,320 times
I definitely do not mean it as a blanket childfree question. Everyone has the right to make their own decision when it comes to having kids or not. I just think the "why's" are amusing. Tis all. Carry on. Fa la la la la. God bless us every one. Etc.

Old 12-09-2008, 04:03 PM

824 posts, read 2,791,917 times

YouTube - George Carlin - Child Worship

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niQ73ZlDxuI

Unnecessary Advisory: You know that he uses foul language!!

Last edited by nyctc7; 12-09-2008 at 04:18 PM..

Old 12-10-2008, 03:09 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,193,501 times
If ANYONE is lamenting over not having children....I'll happily send you a teen for a week that will quickly put you out of your misery of wondering what you missed by not procreating.

Your choice of teen:
17 year old male who stays on Play Station 20 hours a day.
19 year old female with 15 mo old baby as a bonus.
BOTH will need additional money by Day 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7.

Old 12-10-2008, 05:38 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,510,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooksterL1 View Post
I'm intrigued by so many of these "why do people have kids" musings on here. Do you think that you were hatched or dropped on your parent's doorstep by the stork?
It's a damn good question. I cannot see any benefits to having a child. It will drain you financially, emotionally and physically on top of hurting an already fragile world thanks to overpopulation. The only reason I understand is if you are a farmer or live in some remote place in the jungle and your in a tribe and you need to trade your kids for goats or something.

Old 12-10-2008, 06:36 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,637,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
It's a damn good question. I cannot see any benefits to having a child. It will drain you financially, emotionally and physically on top of hurting an already fragile world thanks to overpopulation. The only reason I understand is if you are a farmer or live in some remote place in the jungle and your in a tribe and you need to trade your kids for goats or something.
HAHA, totally agree. I took a Geo class in college that was focused around renewable energy and environmental matters, basically. The professor was hilarious, he recycled EVERYTHING, rode his bike everywhere, just a 100% hippie, but he was a smart, passionate older guy. I may not have agreed with a lot of what he said, but I love it that he was so passionate about it and really LIVED what he taught, not a hypocrite by any means, someone you could respect even if you didn't agree with. Anyway, we looked at some studies that strongly indicated the world cannot sustain more than 3 billion people indefinitely. In other words, at some point with any number more than that, the resources will be depleted and... bad things will happen. That means we're already twice overpopulated, way too many people. Adopting makes a lot more sense.

The funniest part is that people who choose not to have kids are often called selfish, but in reality it's the people having kids who are usually the MOST selfish! They not only bring more unwanted overpopulation (unwanted by all the rest of us, which is selfish), but they also often have kids for reasons like wanting to relive their youth or have a kid to do things they missed out on when they were kids, etc. Even my parents had kids for partially that reason, because they both had lousy childhoods and wanted to have kids and really "do it right" and give us a great childhood. They absolutely succeeded, but I would say that's not the best reason to have kids, really. Just perpetuating the cycle.

Having one kid is reasonable, it's the people who pump out 4-5 kids who disgust me. It's a vagina people not a clown car!

Old 12-10-2008, 07:21 PM

12,973 posts, read 3,224,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post

Having one kid is reasonable, it's the people who pump out 4-5 kids who disgust me. It's a vagina people not a clown car!
Start gagging now Johnathan...I have six! And.....that's what the passage is made for.....some people love being parents....others detest it...and some settle for it thinking it's their obligation! This is what makes us all unique. Don't judge and stereotype....geeeshh

Old 12-10-2008, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
ROFLMAO, I wonder what that chick with 18 kids looks like down there... on second thought nevermind. Some one needs to tell that guy to stay off of her!

I do not get the selfish bit either. What I think is selfish is when someone purposely plan to have a biological child instead of caring for one that is already here. There are millions of children on this earth that are suffering and do not have homes. Instead people come out with their charts to mark down when they are ovulating and go to fertility treatments just so they can have a biological kid. Makes me sick.

Oh and I am so sick of the bull excuses to not adopt. "It's too much money" and having a biological child is going to cost you nothing? "Oh, the child could have serious problems" so there is no way that little perfect angel you popped out is going to be a serial killer?

Old 12-10-2008, 08:18 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,253,509 times
I have a question for you and Jonathan...

Why do you care how many children someone has? Are you paying for them? Are you feeding them? Are you clothing them? Are you birthing them?

Does anyone care how many cars you have? How many pets? How many pairs of jeans?

Do you think we care what kind of macaroni and cheese you CHOOSE to have? What kind of beer? What kind of gas you put in your car?

No one gives a flying rat's a** what you do, so WHY do you and Jonathan care about anyone elses choices?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
ROFLMAO, I wonder what that chick with 18 kids looks like down there... on second thought nevermind. Some one needs to tell that guy to stay off of her!

I do not get the selfish bit either. What I think is selfish is when someone purposely plan to have a biological child instead of caring for one that is already here. There are millions of children on this earth that are suffering and do not have homes. Instead people come out with their charts to mark down when they are ovulating and go to fertility treatments just so they can have a biological kid. Makes me sick.

Oh and I am so sick of the bull excuses to not adopt. "It's too much money" and having a biological child is going to cost you nothing? "Oh, the child could have serious problems" so there is no way that little perfect angel you popped out is going to be a serial killer?

Old 12-10-2008, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post

No one gives a flying rat's a** what you do, so WHY do you and Jonathan care about anyone elses choices?
I have a few questions for you..

Do you realize this is a discussion forum meant for discussions and we have every right to discuss since this is a discussion about discussing not having kids and not getting married. If you do not like the discussion ignore the DISCUSSION we are DISCUSSING
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships