Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 10:00 AM

11,396 posts, read 24,456,213 times

Advertisements

As a rule, you shouldn't. But what if you met the right person? There are no absolutes in this world. You do the best you can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 10:12 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,116,949 times
If the two people are mature and professional, I don't see a problem. It's so hard to meet people and since most of us spend most of our time at work, that's our best chance of meeting someone.

If you are concerned about that person, the good thing about working with a potential is that you can get to know them before you actually begin dating and have a general idea if it's a good idea or not.

I think most people say no because their work life is more important than their personal life. And they are the ones who are incapable of separating their home and work life.

Old 09-21-2008, 11:09 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,875,069 times
Are you joking ? In my workplace, all women are secretaries,office clerks/executives (sometimes high ranking), 90% married, the remaining, spinsters, or a few young bachelors looking for some high ranking executive.
I'm blue-collar, so they don't even SEE me and my colleagues '"glass ceiling").
One of my friends at work uses to say " we are the underdogs, but I don't give a ****ing damn...."

Old 09-21-2008, 11:36 AM

11,396 posts, read 24,456,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Are you joking ? In my workplace, all women are secretaries,office clerks/executives (sometimes high ranking), 90% married, the remaining, spinsters, or a few young bachelors looking for some high ranking executive.
I'm blue-collar, so they don't even SEE me and my colleagues '"glass ceiling").
One of my friends at work uses to say " we are the underdogs, but I don't give a ****ing damn...."
So you blue collar people don't interbreed down there in your dungeon? (I'm joking with you here) Or is it that there are just no members of the opposite sex who are available?

Would you if you could? Do you think it's right or wrong?

Old 09-21-2008, 12:24 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,358,756 times
Never let anyone mess up your $$$$. You never know what could happen from that relaitonship. What if you guys had sex and it was over befiore it began then how do you save face at work? Or if that person wants more of a relationship and you just want a friend with benefits? I dont know for me I would really have to like this person a whole lot to possibly but my money in jeopardy. But thats just me..

Old 09-21-2008, 01:04 PM

342 posts, read 1,831,685 times
Nay.
Been there, done that (and not just a casual fling).

1) It gets awkward with the ex when you get into an argument or things don't work out and you still have to see them on a constant basis.
2) It gets awkward with mutual friends/coworkers when things don't work out. Some take sides, some just don't want to be involved with either.
3) Any hint of romantic exhibition (even a glance) at the workplace will be seen as unprofessional.
4) Your lovelife will be the gossip du jour.
5) If you keep the relationship a secret (this is what my ex and I did), beware. Secret relationships are exciting, but aren't condusive to building strong, healthy relationships. Being in a sneaky hush-hush relationship starts the relationship off on a slippery slope of dishonesty. It's much better to be in a relationship where you can proudly state that you're with someone.

Old 09-21-2008, 01:06 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,254,417 times
I agree that it's a "no no" but if you are going to do it, assess the consequences. As inappropriate as I think it is, you can't always help who you fall in love with so if this is something well thought out and you know the risks/rewards then no one should stop you. On the other hand, "flings and flattery" I would be 100% opposed.

Old 09-21-2008, 01:59 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,663,931 times
I say nay. I made the mistake of engaging in one such thing when I first started working after my J.D., and it was a bad thing to do. The breakup wasn't really bad, but it was obviously mostly based on sex We had little else in common. But we had to work together past that breakup, and it can be very difficult to separate feelings.

Well, I mean, not for me. I personally have the very specific ability to just cut people out and not feel anything, but he... he was sort of obsessed. Married a girl he doesn't love and it got to the point where she thought we were having an affair because he always talked about me. This was five years after the relationship had ended.

Not all romances end like that, but in general it's very hard when they don't work out perfectly. Few things in life ever do. Just don't go there

Old 09-21-2008, 02:20 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by Pilot1 Be that as it may, sharing a job is not as personal as sharing children.
If you break up finding another job is not as hard as sharing custody over the kids.
You're young, aren't you?

You make the fundamental mistake of applying logic to human relationships. I've had a workplace romance. I've also seen plenty of workplace romances. They NEVER work out. Never. Particularly when one person doesn't want to date the other anymore.

What's more, you don't realize that when you're seriously dating somebody that you work with, you're around them ALL THE TIME. So when you're away from the office, you're still at the office. And when you're working, some aspect of your personal relationship inevitably comes seeping in.

Old 09-21-2008, 02:35 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
I would say NO.

The only times it could work out is if:
(1) you work for AT&T or GM (assuming you still have a job there) and you work in very different divisions
(2) you work for a large governmental agency and the same scenario as (1) applies
(3) one of you is planning on migrating to another employer, and it's in the works.

Like the saying goes:
Dont pi$$ in your own backyard....or something like that....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships