Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2008, 06:18 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekduo View Post
Think of it this way. I know some people who are quite brilliant in almost every area yet are poor at math. Some people are gifted artists yet do not understand science. Everybody has some things they are good at and others that they are not. Just because someone is intelligent does not change this. They still have areas where they excel and others where they basically suck. It is also entirely possible to communicate in writing quite well, but be awkward in person, I tend to be in that category, but I have been improving over the years.
Now, whether the OP's social issues are a true lack of ability or simply a lack of interest in developing such skills is unknown. That really cannot be known without personally meeting and getting to know a person.
I truly hope she is able to discover the source of her difficulties and overcome them. It sucks to be alone. I also know what it is like to have a hard time making friends, much less find someone you can share your life with.
We all have areas we excel at and others we struggle with but that does not excuse not dealing with the ones you struggle with.

When it comes to getting along with others, practice is a very good thing. No matter how inept you are, you can practice being nice and not acting stuck up. After a while, it will actually come naturally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 06:24 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,253,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
We all have areas we excel at and others we struggle with but that does not excuse not dealing with the ones you struggle with.

When it comes to getting along with others, practice is a very good thing. No matter how inept you are, you can practice being nice and not acting stuck up. After a while, it will actually come naturally.
I am feeling the need to quote from 'Harold and Maude'

Harold: You sure have a way with people.

Maude: Well, they're my species.

It's not that hard to find common ground with others and to be able to get along with others...it is a choice.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:29 PM

746 posts, read 2,176,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post

True, but keep in mind we don't know the age of the OP. Developing social skills takes years. Hopefully she is aware of this problem and is trying to work on it. As with any emotional problem, it is usually more effective to get an outsiders view on the situation. Being inside of it makes it hard to have an objective take on what the problem is and how to correct it. This forum is a good place to start, someone who interacts regularly with the OP would be an even better resource.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:38 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,954,889 times
I am thought out, I am worn out & I am talked out. I hope so anyway.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:54 PM

746 posts, read 2,176,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperspal View Post
I am thought out, I am worn out & I am talked out. I hope so anyway.
Have a good night. I'm about done for the night as well.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:55 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
I agree. People look for ways to exclude or reject people instead of looking for common ground. Bad habits if you ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
I am feeling the need to quote from 'Harold and Maude'

Harold: You sure have a way with people.

Maude: Well, they're my species.

It's not that hard to find common ground with others and to be able to get along with others...it is a choice.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekduo View Post
True, but keep in mind we don't know the age of the OP. Developing social skills takes years. Hopefully she is aware of this problem and is trying to work on it. As with any emotional problem, it is usually more effective to get an outsiders view on the situation. Being inside of it makes it hard to have an objective take on what the problem is and how to correct it. This forum is a good place to start, someone who interacts regularly with the OP would be an even better resource.
What is not effective is blaming emotional problems on your high IQ (which I have to wonder why it took so long to discover ). Much of what I've read here sounds more like excusing emotional issues because of intelligence. If you know you have an issue, you can either choose to deal with it or not deal with it but there's no excusing it once you know it exists unless it's unchangable. Social skills are learned and are changable. If the set you have isn't working for you, then get a new set.

I find it funny intelligence is the excuse too. My husband does have a genius IQ but I don't. Yet he is the more social of the two of us.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I agree. People look for ways to exclude or reject people instead of looking for common ground. Bad habits if you ask me
It's kind of hard to include the ones who want to declare themselves so different they shoudln't be required to play by the same rules though

People like to be around people they enjoy being around. Trying to make yourself the center of attention doesn't usually work too well here.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:03 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,253,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
That is why there are so many issues with racism, sexual discrimination, gay bashing, etc...we are more alike than we are different.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:04 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
That is why I prefer to stay away from people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
That is why there are so many issues with racism, sexual discrimination, gay bashing, etc...we are more alike than we are different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships