Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2008, 08:12 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,168,867 times

Advertisements

^ are you kidding me??!!? OMG.....sweetie look, is it possible that the reason why you are having a rough time finding someone be because all you seem to focus on is how intelligent you are? There are many intelligent people out there who don't see the need to rub their geniuses’ in other people’s faces. You are very smart, that's awesome! Now, maybe use those smarts to calm yourself down and not totally "put off" everyone you meet.

Just an Idea .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 08:23 AM

746 posts, read 2,177,146 times
Phoenix,
I do understand the issue of finding a mate with sufficient intelligence to keep you interested. My husband is probably just at the genius level and I am just a bit below it. We don't really know as we don't waste our time with taking tests, we've only taken a short internet one. We just are happy that we can discuss our careers or make a geeky joke and the other one will "get it." The even bigger factor is that we have so much more in common, such as similiar views on religion, politics, and raising a family. We have enough common interests that we can enjoy time together and enough differences that we balance each others strengths and weaknesses for the most part. Being in the general ballpark in intelligence level is sufficient, all those other things play just as big if not bigger part in a good relationship. So don't lose hope and get too worked up on a potential mates IQ level, it really is just a number.
We actually have more of a problem getting along with family members. We both come from families where everyone else is simply average. His family is especially difficult, they've always interpreted his intelligence as arrogance and actually treat him as the black sheep. He gave up trying to explain what he does for work years ago as they don't understand it at all.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:28 AM

104 posts, read 136,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
Arguing over who is smarter? Really?
I never argued that I was smarter. I claimed to be a genius.

Since no one else has claimed to be a genius, there is no argument!

And if they DID, I'd probably just say "Hi, hows it going?" Not argue.

No, and on the contrary there were posts in which I said "I think YOU are a genius!"

I argued that THEY were intelligent!

This accusation has gotten it totally backwards.

Empty words!

If you are going to accuse me,

USE THE QUOTE BUTTON

Old 12-02-2008, 08:35 AM

Quote:
all you seem to focus on is how intelligent you are?
Actually, intelligence is subject that everyone else in this thread is focusing on, not me. I am merely responding to what is being thrown at me.

If everyone were attacking YOUR intelligence, wouldn't you say something like "No that's not true, my brain is just fine." or whatever? If 100 people attacked your intelligence and you said 100 times that your intelligence was fine, would it be YOU who was focusing on your intelligence?

No.

It would be everybody else.

Quote:
Now, maybe use those smarts to calm yourself down and not totally "put off" everyone you meet.
I am not upset, I am just high energy.

I NEVER calm down. Lol.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekduo View Post
Being in the general ballpark in intelligence level is sufficient, all those other things play just as big if not bigger part in a good relationship. So don't lose hope and get too worked up on a potential mates IQ level, it really is just a number.
Not only do I have problems finding someone in the right intelligence range, I am also having ALL those other problems of compatibility TOO.

Sounds like you guys are gifted at around the 1 in 50 or 1 in 100 level or the 1 in 1000 level.

I am at the 1 in 250,000 level.

You guys are very intelligent. I am from outer space.

I searched for an explanation and I found out that the reason I am having so many compatibility issues is because of my intelligence...

So, the obvious solution is to find other geniuses.

I wish I could just go about dating the normal way. But to find someone in range, for ME is a needle in a haystack. I had an XKCD moment and made charts and did math. About 1 in 2000 people is within range - but then you've got to figure some of them are female, some are crazy, most are either too old or too young... So it is one in many thousands. Erego, the weirdo strategy where I'm being all efficient with IQ and numbers. I can't just go to the bar and look pretty and wait to be hit on. I have to get out the industrial strength haystack shredder. I SEEK THE GRAIL!!! Lol.

Quote:
We actually have more of a problem getting along with family members. We both come from families where everyone else is simply average. His family is especially difficult, they've always interpreted his intelligence as arrogance and actually treat him as the black sheep. He gave up trying to explain what he does for work years ago as they don't understand it at all.
Yes. Giftedness is due to a mutation. Some of us are unfortunately xenogenic.

In my case, I think my family is gifted but I am having the same problem because... Well I am like twice as gifted. So its like being gifted with a normal family.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:04 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,168,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by She_Was_A_Phoenix View Post
Actually, intelligence is subject that everyone else in this thread is focusing on, not me. I am merely responding to what is being thrown at me.

If everyone were attacking YOUR intelligence, wouldn't you say something like "No that's not true, my brain is just fine." or whatever? If 100 people attacked your intelligence and you said 100 times that your intelligence was fine, would it be YOU who was focusing on your intelligence?

No.

It would be everybody else.

I am not upset, I am just high energy.

I NEVER calm down. Lol.

This is my point though. Why should it matter if people, whom you do not even know, challenge your intelligence? If you are as smart as you say you are you should know better.

Anyway~ Whatever works for ya

Old 12-02-2008, 09:07 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,493,392 times
Yes i have met my intellectual equal. But JeepGirl refuses to marry me!

Old 12-02-2008, 09:09 AM

746 posts, read 2,177,146 times
Maybe the solution for you lies in the theory of opposites attract. Find someone who is a genius, but not necessarily your equal. Concentrate more on finding the right personality that will balance you out. Someone who can take your eccentricities in stride and accept them. I often refer to the genius men I know as absent minded professors. They tend to be very good at remembering facts and figures but usually forget little details like birthdays, where they left their hat, or what time their appointments are. My husband is also like that. He also is sometimes lacking in some interpersonal skills. However, he's very good at letting me know he loves me and I don't mind helping him remember all those things he forgets or is not good at.
Find someone who is highly intelligent and accepts you and you can enjoy spending time with. Someone who balances you.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:15 AM

Quote:
This is my point though. Why should it matter if people, whom you do not even know, challenge your intelligence?
I wanted to see if I could figure out how to get along with people - AND be out of the closet about my intelligence. If they don't believe me, then it is the same as staying in the closet.

Quote:
If you are as smart as you say you are you should know better.
Who said it isn't smart to defend your intelligence? Perhaps it is smarter than allowing people to think you are an idiot.

I challenge you to support the assumption that there is a reverse correlation between HAVING intelligence and defending intelligence.

I don't think it proves anything either way.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Maybe the solution for you lies in the theory of opposites attract. Find someone who is a genius, but not necessarily your equal. Concentrate more on finding the right personality that will balance you out. Someone who can take your eccentricities in stride and accept them. I often refer to the genius men I know as absent minded professors. They tend to be very good at remembering facts and figures but usually forget little details like birthdays, where they left their hat, or what time their appointments are. My husband is also like that. He also is sometimes lacking in some interpersonal skills. However, he's very good at letting me know he loves me and I don't mind helping him remember all those things he forgets or is not good at.
Find someone who is highly intelligent and accepts you and you can enjoy spending time with. Someone who balances you.
I'll be lucky to find one who isn't nuts.

Sigh.

I don't even want to THINK about the other compatibility issues.

This is getting me down. I don't want any advice on this.

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships